I'm overweight - At last, But not happy with BMI

Options
h64em
h64em Posts: 64 Member
Hi there,

So, I was looking forward to to the day I could post that I am no longer in the Obese range but that day came and went and I have realised I dont care what my BMI is anymore! I started at 214 lbs @ 5'4" , well into the obese range. I had to get to 174lbs to be considered "overweight" and will have to be 145 to be "healthy". I was in a size 16/18 trousers and 20 top (UK sizes). I have lost almost 40 lbs and am now officially "overweight", but I am a size 12 jeans and 14/16 top, how size will I have to get to be considered "healthy"?

I will be continuing my healthier lifestyle and I know I need to lose more weight but I will stop when I feel comfortable, when I'm happy with the way I look, how fit I am and how well my clothes fit me, not stop when the BMI calculator tells me I'm normal. I might of course be in the "healthy range" then, but wont sweat about it if I'm not.

I'm not celebrating having gone down in the BMI scale, I'm celebrating losing 40 lbs and being fitter than I have been in years, long may it continue!!

Replies

• hannahbaby417
    Options
    Here here. Great job on the positive outlook and the weight loss. As long as you feel good/healthy, that's what's most important.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You have the right attitude! It was nearing the top of my "healthy" BMI that got me moving more and eating better, but it's going to be how my clothes fit and how I feel that determine when I really hit my goal, not some arbitrary number on a scale. I do have a scale goal, but it's just to give me something to focus on for the short term. :)
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Congrats...on both the mental and physical progress!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Congratulations - i'm just about to go over the Obese/Overweight line and I'm not as thrilled as I thought i'd be either. I've lost about 74lbs (i measure in kg so this may not be 100%) I'm the lightest i've been in my adult life but stll not happy - I need to reset my goals but have no idea where to start lol.

There is too much emphasis place on BMI in my opinion.

Keep up the good work!

Nik
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Just wanted you to know how much I enjoyed your post. Overweight at last. Brilliant.
  • zazoo11687
    Options
    Great job losing all that weight. As for BMI i think its stupid. A great example is Adrian Peterson, the running back for the Vikings. Probably one of the most physically fit people on the plant. In no way could he be considered unhealthy, out of shape or need to lose weight, yet according to the BMI scale he is "over weight". So i think its all about how you feel about yourself and what you feel is a healthy weight for you.
  • Danelectro83
    Options
    the BMI is a crock anyway. it says im obeast but i can pass a military fitness test, except the weight. when i reached the point of being overweight my family asked if i was fealing well, they said i looked sick.
  • felly07
    felly07 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the weightloss - that is fantastic!

You are so lucky fitting in UK size 12 jeans already. I am 5'4.5" and 149lbs and I cant quite fit in them yet!
  • CarlaRG
    CarlaRG Posts: 264
    Options
    Keep up the good work...that's awesome!
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your excellent progress. You're on the right track and you WILL succeed in reaching your ultimate personal heart healthy goal. :)
  • adams7707
    adams7707 Posts: 4
    Options
    Congrats! I can't wait to share when I hit that mark! I'm still about 2.2 away - which is going to see like an eternity to get down too.
  • h64em
    Options
    Thank you all for your positive comments, I couldnt have done this without MFP and the wonderful people on here :flowerforyou:
  • h64em
    Options
    Congratulations on the weightloss - that is fantastic!

You are so lucky fitting in UK size 12 jeans already. I am 5'4.5" and 149lbs and I cant quite fit in them yet!

You'll get there. I'm top heavy, so I think thats why I can get into a 12 (though not all makes yet!)
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. I remember the day that I was considered "overweight" -- no longer obese! That is a great accomplishment!

I totally understand about the whole BMI classifications. My goal is to be 150 -- which for a 5'7" woman is considered to be still 10 pounds overweight. When I told my extended family about needing to lose another 30 pounds, they looked shocked and asked me where it was going to come from? I didn't dare tell them that I would still be considered 10 pounds overweight!

I am still going to head for 150 and then see how I feel.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I totally understand about the whole BMI classifications. My goal is to be 150 -- which for a 5'7" woman is considered to be still 10 pounds overweight. When I told my extended family about needing to lose another 30 pounds, they looked shocked and asked me where it was going to come from? I didn't dare tell them that I would still be considered 10 pounds overweight!

I would have told them. Often times, people, especially other overweight people, have a tendency to have their sizes out of proportion. Plus, they've known you as a heavier person and have trouble seeing you as anything other than "skinnier than you were." I have some friends who have lost more than 50 pounds that even 6 months later, I still think they look too thin, but I really know they aren't.

In your case, 150 is not actually overweight for a 5'7" woman of our age. It's at the top end of the old Metropolitan Life tables, yes, but it's within the BMI healthy range. :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!