Someone Meal Plan for Me!!

New to this "life style change" but I don't even know where to begin...any advice for those who are just starting this journey?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    What is your goal?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I think you'd be better off planning your own meals based on your goals. That way you get food you enjoy, and the knowledge that you are learning habits that will last a lifetime.
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Becca there is so much more involved than that. What are your goals? Height, weight, age? Whats your diet like now? How much exercise do you do? How much time can you dedicate to exercise? Have you worked out before?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited December 2016
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    What do you normally eat? Eat that but less now. Easy peasy!

This.

No need for plans. Eat the same foods, just weigh them on a food scale and log it all accurately.

It's not the type of food that causes weight gain, it's the calories. If you eat more calories than your body needs to maintain its current weight, anyone will gain weight.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    My new lifestyle "meal plan" is this: eat more whole foods.....more veggies, more fruit, more whole grains, and less processed food in general. Meet protein goals....work on meeting fat goals too. Controlled snacking is allowed (within calorie goals).

My "plan" is to eat foods I like. BUT I make myself accountable. I measure & log every bite, every taste, every lick. This helps me figure out what foods are filling, what foods give me the most "bang for my calorie buck." I also figure out what foods are kind of a waste of calories.

Then because this is a lifestyle change (as in forever) I find a way to move more.....and enjoy it.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    An easy place to start for beginners it the FitGirls Guide, 28 Day Jumpstart. It's where I started. It has workouts that can be done at home or a gym, a shopping list, and how to meal prep. https://www.fitgirls.com/collections/guides
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »
    Wow there's a lot of assumptions and animosity in this one post that seem unwarranted for this particular thread...

OP Rather than jumping straight into meal plans and asking someone to develop them for you, I would start with doing some reading of the stickied "Most Helpful Forum Posts" at the top of the various sections. They will have a lot of great information for you about how to optimize your success here, no matter what your goals are, and how to not get caught up in the woo and pseudoscience that is so prevalent in the diet/fitness industry.

At the end of the day, it truly does come down to only one thing that is required for weight loss and that's a calorie deficit. How you choose to achieve that deficit is largely up to the individual, which is why it's difficult for others to put together meal plans that meet your needs (nutritionally and preferentially). My advice is to set up MFP with accurate stats and a reasonable goal. When you get your calorie target, spend some time logging the foods you normally eat to see how they would fit into that allotment. Look for areas you think you could make adjustments to make those foods fit better into your day or week. Log the foods you eat accurately and honestly (ideally using a food scale) and look for foods that help you achieve macro and micro nutrient goals, help satiate you, and that you enjoy eating. You don't need a special meal plan to do those things, but some people find prelogging their days helps with adherence, and some find that meal planning/prepping helps with staying on track, staying on budget, etc.

A few months ago I was on a thread where someone said something similar and how you could eat what ever you want just eat less and I tried to prove to them it's not just that simple. Some people choose the low carb route because it's easier to fight hunger pangs etc etc.

Point being you are right deficit is the key number for weight loss. The calculation is simple. The execution may not be simple for many people based on life style constraints, health conditions, and how much they need to lose.

The How can be very complex or very simple based on each person's needs.

Each person has to choose for their own, but some people need a starting point. Based on the OP I'm going to guess he/she was feeling overwhelmed and wanted some help taking the guess work out of starting out. Which imo is okay. Again "Easy peasy" doesn't help the OP do anything but become more overwhelmed so why post?

@srcardinal10 gets it. That is a helpful reply.

@ OP. An idea would be to find some people/groups with similar goals and ask to see their diaries. THAT would be an excellent way to achieve a meal plan example based on your goals.

Also I'm a proponent of the SouthBeach Diet (Buy the Book) As written by Dr. Agaston for people new to dieting. It's a great starting point and a very healthy diet *IN THE LONG RUN* That promotes the consumption of Lean Meats, Fresh Vegetables and Fruits. If you stick with it through to Phase 3 then you will be eating healthfully and maintaining an optimal weight.

But for someone who is overwhelmed and just starting out, part of that overwhelmed feeling is often the fear of having to completely overhaul their eating and exercise habits. Reducing intake, getting used to logging, and then looking to see where sustainable changes can be implemented can take a lot of that "OMG WTF am I doing?" out of it. There are a multitude of complexities that are very individual. Knowing that you can take small steps and learn along the way is helpful. There is no need to suggest completely overhauling her diet. We don't even know what her current diet is. The OP is vague, so the responses are going to be less tailored than if we had more information.

You are correct there is a lot we don't know. So why not just ask what you need to know to help? I maintain that "just eat less, easy peasy" is a condesending answer.

It can be really demotivating when a person starts eating less but don't lose weight. Success breeds success. So why not at least give them some REASONABLE rules to follow to get them stared. I'm not suggesting a diet overhaul necessarily. OP wanted a meal plan. Based on later answers the South Beach Diet actually fits her goals. @srcardinal10 also made some suggestions. But in your one paragraph you actually provided more help and instruction to the OP than "Just eat less, easy peasy"
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    [/quote]

But for someone who is overwhelmed and just starting out, part of that overwhelmed feeling is often the fear of having to completely overhaul their eating and exercise habits. Reducing intake, getting used to logging, and then looking to see where sustainable changes can be implemented can take a lot of that "OMG WTF am I doing?" out of it. There are a multitude of complexities that are very individual. Knowing that you can take small steps and learn along the way is helpful. There is no need to suggest completely overhauling her diet. We don't even know what her current diet it. The OP is vague, so the responses are going to be more vague. [/quote]

Exactly. There is so much misinformation out there, and the OP has already mentioned feeling overwhelmed, so advising her to make small changes like eating less of what she already eats while logging accurately is extremely helpful advice...[/quote]

What if OP needs rules and structure. A check list to follow? Sometimes you need a starting point. Regardless "just eat less, easy peasy" does not provde the level of detail that is provided in the quoted text. It's just condescending and rude.

I'm done hijacking this thread.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Wow there's a lot of assumptions and animosity in this one post that seem unwarranted for this particular thread...

OP Rather than jumping straight into meal plans and asking someone to develop them for you, I would start with doing some reading of the stickied "Most Helpful Forum Posts" at the top of the various sections. They will have a lot of great information for you about how to optimize your success here, no matter what your goals are, and how to not get caught up in the woo and pseudoscience that is so prevalent in the diet/fitness industry.

At the end of the day, it truly does come down to only one thing that is required for weight loss and that's a calorie deficit. How you choose to achieve that deficit is largely up to the individual, which is why it's difficult for others to put together meal plans that meet your needs (nutritionally and preferentially). My advice is to set up MFP with accurate stats and a reasonable goal. When you get your calorie target, spend some time logging the foods you normally eat to see how they would fit into that allotment. Look for areas you think you could make adjustments to make those foods fit better into your day or week. Log the foods you eat accurately and honestly (ideally using a food scale) and look for foods that help you achieve macro and micro nutrient goals, help satiate you, and that you enjoy eating. You don't need a special meal plan to do those things, but some people find prelogging their days helps with adherence, and some find that meal planning/prepping helps with staying on track, staying on budget, etc.

A few months ago I was on a thread where someone said something similar and how you could eat what ever you want just eat less and I tried to prove to them it's not just that simple. Some people choose the low carb route because it's easier to fight hunger pangs etc etc.

Point being you are right deficit is the key number for weight loss. The calculation is simple. The execution may not be simple for many people based on life style constraints, health conditions, and how much they need to lose.

Each person has to choose for their own, but some people need a starting point. Based on the OP I'm going to guess he/she was feeling overwhelmed and wanted some help taking the guess work out of starting out. Which imo is okay. Again "Easy peasy" doesn't help the OP do anything but become more overwhelmed so why post?

@ OP. An idea would be to find some people/groups with similar goals and ask to see their diaries. THAT would be an excellent way to achieve a meal plan example based on your goals.

Also I'm a proponent of the SouthBeach Diet (Buy the Book) As written by Dr. Agaston for people new to dieting. It's a great starting point and a very healthy diet *IN THE LONG RUN* That promotes the consumption of Lean Meats, Fresh Vegetables and Fruits. If you stick with it through to Phase 3 then you will be eating healthfully and maintaining an optimal weight.

A low carb diet would never be the long run for me. Nor would a low carb diet (however modified) ever be a lifestyle change. Maybe the OP will love low carbing, or maybe the OP will hate it.

I'm sorry but I've lost & regained. I will never recommend a (possible) temporary solution to a permanent problem.

Before buying a book, before eliminating a group of foods......the OP is better off looking at her current diet and then making small changes. Small, but permanent changes will help her lose weight AND keep it off.

I'm glad you found what works for you.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

But for someone who is overwhelmed and just starting out, part of that overwhelmed feeling is often the fear of having to completely overhaul their eating and exercise habits. Reducing intake, getting used to logging, and then looking to see where sustainable changes can be implemented can take a lot of that "OMG WTF am I doing?" out of it. There are a multitude of complexities that are very individual. Knowing that you can take small steps and learn along the way is helpful. There is no need to suggest completely overhauling her diet. We don't even know what her current diet is. The OP is vague, so the responses are going to be less tailored than if we had more information.

You are correct there is a lot we don't know. So why not just ask what you need to know to help? I maintain that "just eat less, easy peasy" is a condesending answer.

It can be really demotivating when a person starts eating less but don't lose weight. Success breeds success. So why not at least give them some REASONABLE rules to follow to get them stared. I'm not suggesting a diet overhaul necessarily. OP wanted a meal plan.Based on later answers the South Beach Diet actually fits her goals.. @srcardinal10 also made some suggestions. But in your one paragraph you actually provided more help and instruction to the OP than "Just eat less, easy peasy"

I didn't see any later answers from the OP that indicate that the South Beach diet fits her goals...
  • eryn0x
    eryn0x Posts: 138 Member
    edited December 2016
    MFP helped me lose about 40 lbs. After a long hiatus from planning and working out (about 2 years) I gained SOME back, but I am well on my way down again. Beyond measuring and weighing, here are some points to which I attribute my own success:

1. I have three meals LOGGED the night before (relieves the "guilt" of eating a satisfying breakfast because you know you're still on track).
    2. I try to be a bit boring. I love cooking and baking but I needed to learn that food is fuel. Accordingly, I will sometimes have the same meal for lunch or dinner all week, changing only maybe the spices or one side. I precook oats for breakfast almost every morning lately but I will change the spices and protein I add (either egg, greek yogurt or nut butter).
    3. I build my meals starting with protein (aiming for 30g+), then add 2 simply dressed sides of veggies/veg carbs. I pair these sides according to the calories in my protein. Sweet potato and broccoli usually form the tri-pod. Breakfast is usually an exception (see #2)
    4. I avoid simple carbs, starches, and sugar (the most difficult). I don't want my body to crave sugars between meals. I wake up feeling flatter and more motivated to eat well. Pastas, cakes, breads, rice, etc are more calorie dense than hearty veggie options making it easier to blow your calorie budget. I still can't say no to a chocolate, but I log that one chocolate and I'm still on track.
    5. I stick to my plan knowing that I will blow it. That is, I plan my meals knowing that I won't be able to stick to it 100% of the time. I will go out to dinner with friends and bond over a greasy something or other. I want to stay on track on days I can so I feel less guilt on the days I can't. ONE meal won't blow it all if I am putting in the work at every meal most days. Have a cheat MEAL, not a cheat DAY.

I hope this helps. It was therapeutic for me regardless, Haha.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    What do you normally eat? Eat that but less now. Easy peasy!

This.

No need for plans. Eat the same foods, just weigh them on a food scale and log it all accurately.

It's not the type of food that causes weight gain, it's the calories. If you eat more calories than your body needs to maintain its current weight, anyone will gain weight.

If it was as easy as "Just eat less of what you like" then why are you even on MFP? I mean clearly we should all just go with the rule of thumb my Great Grandmother used "Don't eat more than a serving the size of your fist" and none of us would have health problems.

I lost quite a bit of weight before MFP by simply eating less. I joined MFP when I became more interested in learning and I was curious as to how many calories I was actually eating...

In regard to your second point...I know you're being sarcastic, but it would actually be a pretty good starting point for most people...
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Thread re-opened.
    Please stay on topic - if you don't feel able to add anything that would be relevant to the OP, please move on to a thread that better suits your interests.

With respect,
    Adam, MyFitnessPal Moderator
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member

...What if OP needs rules and structure. A check list to follow? Sometimes you need a starting point. Regardless "just eat less, easy peasy" does not provde the level of detail that is provided in the quoted text. It's just condescending and rude.

It's not condescending and rude when it's the truth and meant to be helpful. That very same advice has been totally helpful for me, personally. It may be true that some people prefer more structure, but that's all it is - a personal preference. When someone gives advice about what worked for them - keeping it simple and not over-complicating things - that's also a preference. Sometimes it's helpful to know that all these "rules" people put on dieting are just complicating things and causing some people to burn out and fail. Why do people insist on making it harder than it has to be? :'(

As for the comment, "If it was as easy as "Just eat less of what you like" then why are you even on MFP?", that's exactly what MFP is for. It's for tracking how much you are consuming - even when it's less of what you like. There is nothing in MFP guidelines that states what foods one must or must not consume. The whole point is to help you be mindful of the types AND especially amounts of foods you are eating, instead of mindlessly grazing. I've been here maintaining at goal for almost 6 years now, eating what I love, but simply eating less of it. There's nothing condescending about giving helpful advice about what REALLY HAS worked for you! B)