Short average frame

Options
I know people say 1200 is the minimum for the average woman, but what if you're super short like me? Im 5'0 148lbs and would like to hit my goal of 115 by my bday July 6th. I had a calculator say I could do that by eating 1095 cals per day and wonder if that would be ok (healthy) considering I'm shorter than the average woman?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    1095 is a bit low. It would likely not provide you with adequate nutrition.
    1200 is a good minimum even for us that hover around the 5' range.
    You may not get to your goal by your birthday, but you will be a lot closer.

It took me a year to lose 30 lbs. (130 to 100-105 maintenance) at 5'1 eating 1200 cals and eating back most of my exercise calories.

The problem with such a low calorie goal is that it can cause lethargy- daily activity drops to conserve energy. This in turn lowers ones NEAT, and one needs less calories to function.

Take it slow, 1 lbs a week to start dropping to .5 as you get closer to your goal. 1200 cals should take you all the way there with your deficit dropping naturally.

Exercise,cardio and resistance, if you can. It does help re sculpt the body as well as just being good for you.

Weigh all your food on a digital scale- you have little room for error.

Cheers, h.
  • veganfaceholex
    veganfaceholex Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating 1200 calories w/ a lot of exercise. But dont eat back those calories.
    I was able to lose 30 pounds in about 4 months by eating 1300 calories and working out everyday.
    Im 5'1 and I had your start weight.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Im 5ft and did 1100 most of the time last year. Im not very active though.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating 1200 calories w/ a lot of exercise. But dont eat back those calories.
    I was able to lose 30 pounds in about 4 months by eating 1300 calories and working out everyday.
    Im 5'1 and I had your start weight.

Nope. 1200 NET calories is the minimum recommended. Eating 1200 and working out intently means the OP could be netting under 1000 cals. This can lead to fatigue, lethargy, brittle nails, hair loss, sallow skin as well as just not being a very sustainable calorie level to strive for.

OP I'm petite (5'2) and lost about 30 lbs in a year also like @middlehaitch mentioned. I was eating 1500-1800 cals and am currently maintaining my loss with a TDEE of 2200 cals because I worked to increase my overall activity level (not intense exercise). I never felt deprived or like giving up.
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    I would stick with the 1200 calories, like Middlehaitch said 1095 is pretty low. I have been doing 1200 calories and have lost over 30 pounds since late August. You can do it!!!
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Have you got the answer you are looking for or do you need more help/advice?