Gym?

Options
So I have joined the gym officially but I'm really nervous to go... Like what do I do there ??? Any tips??

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Take a look at "Strong Curves," "Starting Strength," and "Stronglifts," then also get on Bodybuilding.com and look at body part splits, and/or talk to one of the trainers at the gym about the machines and circuit training. Also, ask about classes. Find one or two things you enjoy and seem to match your goals and try them out. Oh, and don't be afraid to change your mind and try something else. The trick is finding what works for YOU.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    What do you want to do? Do you want to work on Cardio, do you want to work on strength training? Do you want a mix?
    Oh, and don't be afraid to change your mind and try something else. The trick is finding what works for YOU.

Quoted for truth.
  • start090
    start090 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Find out the best exercises for you based on ur own goal of course . I think there is many resources online ( personally i like bodybuilding.com ) just go a head and start . Im sure u will see the difference .doesn't matter how or when .. Keep going and best luck :D
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Take a class?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    What. Are. Your. Goals.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    SS + GOMAD
  • Myki3012
    Myki3012 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If you're not sure what you want to do maybe you should take a class or get a personal trainer.
  • JoRolleNola
    JoRolleNola Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest starting with the cardio machines. That way u can get a good look at what others are doing and go from there. That's what I've been doing. Lol
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest starting with the cardio machines. That way u can get a good look at what others are doing and go from there. That's what I've been doing. Lol

Since I'd say many (most?) people at commercial gyms don't really know what they're doing and/or why they're doing it, I'd recommend against this.

As jesse mentioned above: what are your goals?

If you tell us, we can probably offer better options. That said, getting with a personal trainer may be a good idea. I say, "may" because if you get one that doesn't listen to your goal(s) and gives you a cookie-cutter routine and doesn't show you how to expand/progress on it, it may not be worth it.
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I dont know about the US but in Australia when you join a gym you book an appointment with a trainer for an assessment and they give you a program an show you how to use the equipment. At my gym you can do that every 12 weeks with no extra charge. Enjoy your gym its great fun.
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Also dont copy others as I see a lit of equipment at my gym being used incorrectly
  • Amortentiax
    Amortentiax Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Take a class, and get into a rhythm of what you like to do! I love doing the elliptical, sometimes for a full half hour without stopping. Sometimes with bursts of different cross-ramps and little 30 second breaks. I also love the treadmill, and lifting some weights (which are super important for toning) but my favorite... ABSOLUTE FAVORITE... Is taking classes, especially zumba. I've met some friends and it's always nice.
  • tinuz
    tinuz Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    1st, set your goals....what do you want to accomplish. Cardio, muscle building/toning...???
    In a proper gym there are good instructors who can give you advice.... as @DilDE said...don't copy others.... ask advice, seek advice....from professionals....

and have fun....that's the most important thing
  • HeidiFuture
    HeidiFuture Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to ask the people that work at the gym questions. Ask for a second tour of the gym if you like. Try getting on 1 or 2 different cardio machines for at least 10 minutes. Watch what other people are doing. Oh and bring some good music or podcast to listen while you workout
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    If the gym is modern at all each machine will have a diagram and instructions for use on tue machine. Pick a time of day the gym is empty so. Your not worried about people staring at you and go machine to machine and see how they feel.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    and cut yourself slack. if you're not used to gyms then getting used to them and working out your own groove is a process, not just an afternoon's task.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I went straight to the classes.
  • tinuz
    tinuz Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Depends what your goals are....Get some proper information before starting... incorrect exercises can do serious damage.

good luck
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I'm kind of disappointed with the gym I got a membership to. They kind of just said hello then left me to figure stuff out on my own. (My husband got it for me as a gift so I didn't get to talk with them at all before joining.) The first day I went I only did cardio stuff cause I was really intimidated to go over to the weights. This morning I went in super early and no one was over in the weight area so I used it as a time to experiment around. I also spent the night before looking at proper form for the different moves I wanted to do.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    samchez0 wrote: »
    Good luck. I'm kind of disappointed with the gym I got a membership to. They kind of just said hello then left me to figure stuff out on my own.

maybe let them know you're new to it all and could use an orientation? they may be leaving you alone because they don't want to condescend or intrude.