PHUL

Options
I started the PHUL training program today. Right now I'm in a pretty big deficit until Jan 1st because I wayyyy over indulged for about a week because of Christmas

Replies

• annaclaireblack
    annaclaireblack Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    FMP deleted half of what I wrote. The other half said this:

Im going to start eating at maintenance on Jan 1 and then slowing increase cals/macros so I can be in a surplus. I'm just not sure what I'm doing really and any advice would be helpful. When I'm doing PHUL should I try to lift as heavy as possible? Can I add in other exercises as well? My goal is to gain muscle (a lot hopefully!!) but I'm a hard gainer. I'm 19 yo, 5'8 and weigh 135. Any macro tips or PHUL tips would be really appreciated. Or if you think what I'm doing is okay I would also appreciate hearing that! TIA
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Well, PHUL has power days, where you are increasing weights, & Hypertrophy days, where your weights are lower but reps are higher.
  • annaclaireblack
    annaclaireblack Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    Well, PHUL has power days, where you are increasing weights, & Hypertrophy days, where your weights are lower but reps are higher.

Hmm, I didn't know that. Would you recommend a different program that is more straight forward?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options

Hmm, I didn't know that. Would you recommend a different program that is more straight forward?

Would a program like Stronglifts or Starting Strength be preferred then?

Stronglifts is Squat/Bench/Row and then Squat/Overhead Press/Deadlift and then keep alternating 3x a week. Might be simpler for you.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Have you actually looked at the program?

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts 5x5 is a basic lifting program and great for starting out. You need to follow the program, whichever one you choose. With SL 5x5 you increase weights by 5 lbs on most lifts each workout, if you can. 10 for deadlift, I think. It's been a while since I did that program. Always read up on a new program so you can do it correctly. You don't want to hurt yourself or derail your progress.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Pick a program that fits your goals, follow the program.