Intermittent fasting

Options
What are your thoughts I'm still trying to get use to it

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I've found it very easy...both to do and to remain at/under my calories allotment while doing it. I started with 16:8, and I currently do an 18:6 regularly with at least one (sometimes two) 24 hour fast each week.
  • Resistive
    Resistive Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    There is a group called Intermittent Fasting, just search it on here and you will find a lot of answers you seek there.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    IF can be a great tool. Keep an eye on your weekly deficit, and stay productive and hydrated during your fasting windows.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It is not for me because I love bigger breakfast and prioritize family sit down dinners. But for many people it is a handy eating schedule. The only way to know if it works for you is to try it.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    My stomach couldn't handle all the food in such a small time frame. I liked it, but my gut protested so strongly that I stopped.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I did it for a while and liked it. Some people do very well with it, but it's not for everyone
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 and have done very well with it.

I've never been a breakfast person and used to force myself to eat in the morning because of the now defunct "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!" thing. It seemed stupid to eat when I genuinely wasn't hungry, so I stopped doing it.

I have a cup of coffee in the morning with my vitamin. Then nothing (except water) until lunch, which is usually around 1 or 2 o'clock. Then a good dinner and some room left over for evening munchies.

Certainly not for everyone, but since I'm not usually hungry in the morning anyway, it's been a great way for me to keep within my calorie allotment for the day.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Berthony25 wrote: »
    What are your thoughts I'm still trying to get use to it

My thoughts are that it's one of many possible valid ways to maintain a caloric deficit. It's great for some people in terms of satiety and adherence, terrible for others. Either way there's nothing magical about it and you won't lose weight any faster than if you'd eaten the same number of calories in any other eating pattern.

I generally eat in a 16:8 pattern just because it fits my schedule and meal preferences best, but I don't sweat it in the least if I decide to eat earlier or later at times.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    For me it works like a charm. Don't feel hungry at all outside my eating window...no snacking at all. During my eating window, I eat to satiety. So simple. Weight loss is steadily maintained. Lots of energy. And I get all my nutrients. I should mention too that I eat REAL FOOD. No powders, bars, gels, shakes, pills....just real food. Very economical and nutritious (no man made Frankenstein crap in my intestines).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Resistive wrote: »
    There is a group called Intermittent Fasting, just search it on here and you will find a lot of answers you seek there.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    For me it works like a charm. Don't feel hungry at all outside my eating window...no snacking at all. During my eating window, I eat to satiety. So simple. Weight loss is steadily maintained. Lots of energy. And I get all my nutrients. I should mention too that I eat REAL FOOD. No powders, bars, gels, shakes, pills....just real food. Very economical and nutritious (no man made Frankenstein crap in my intestines).

You seem to have a real issue about "manmade Frankenstein crap" as you call it. Can I ask why? What science do you know that the rest of us don't.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

If I make granola bars at home, do those count as real food or man made Frankenstein crap? Are they not man made because I am a woman? Does the Frankenstein crap label remain? What if my husband makes them?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    IF.. I like it. I find it a useful tool which I employ quite often.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I've done IF protocols on and off over the past few years and it's a helpful tool for me. I'd gotten away from it over the past couple months and have noticed it's harder to stay within my calorie targets, so I'm back at it starting today. Eating window 12-7 :)
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    It's great for me. It has taught me that it's ok to experience "hunger" or cravings. "Hunger" in inverted commas because through IF I've realised that it's just a sensation, often more like a pang of discomfort, that passes. I now drink coffee or three cups of herbal tea when I get a strong hunger pang within my fasting window and then I'm fine.
    I would say, give it a few weeks before you expect it to feel "great", and a few months even to figure out the right approach and protocol for you. I'm still shifting around snacks and meals to see what sits the best and is the easiest to maintain, but I'm completely sold on doing IF 16/8 (minimum) for the unforseeable future.