Old, obese and woefully out of shape

Options
My name is Sherry. I live in Florida. I am 65. I'm a writer so my work is sedentary. I need to lose about 70-80 pounds. For the past year I have experienced a continual series of ailments, ranging from having artificial knee surgery to a bizarre several months long mystery ailment, to dislocating my shoulder. I feel like i've been ailing--from something--all year long. I am horribly out of shape. (Once upon a time I was a 'barbie doll, and in very good shape) I tried a gym and it was so humiliating I swore i'd never go back. The instructors used to roll their eyes when they thought I couldn't see them. I need to do something at home. I have been walking quite a bit (between 10,000-20,000 steps a day for a couple of months.) It hasn't made much difference, but i'm going to keep it up. I need to do exercises for flexibility and muscle tone. I am very lucky. I have a husband who must be blind, because he thinks I look the same as I did 40 years ago. Anyway, that's me.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,645 Member
    Options
    You're off to a good start, and the message above is solid advice. I'm 61, and lost 60+ pounds on MFP about a year ago. (I'm now maintaining at about my college weight!)

Weight loss is almost entirely about the eating side of things. Set yourself up on MFP, set a moderate weight loss goal, hit your calorie goal the overwhelming majority of the time, and you'll lose weight. Then, for better health, you can gradually improve what you eat, to get better nutrition (especially making sure to get enough protein, healthy fats & fruit/veg). Over time, you'll see your health improve.

Good for you for walking - that will go a long ways (pun intended ;) ). But don't let that terrible gym sour you on all gyms forever - those people were just jerks. Not all gyms are like that - they should be encouraging, helpful, and supportive! At our age, it's a good thing to do some resistance exercise in addition to something like walking - it helps avoid injuries and osteoporosis, among other benefits. Weight lifting is one form of resistance exercise, but not the only one (and some you can do at home).

You can do this: Good luck!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Welcome
    Walking is great, but if you want to go to the gym too don't let those fools put you off
    Find a nicer gym which suits you better.
    Track everything you eat and you will succeed
    Good luck
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Notflorida wrote: »
    My name is Sherry. I live in Florida. I am 65. I'm a writer so my work is sedentary. I need to lose about 70-80 pounds. For the past year I have experienced a continual series of ailments, ranging from having artificial knee surgery to a bizarre several months long mystery ailment, to dislocating my shoulder. I feel like i've been ailing--from something--all year long. I am horribly out of shape. (Once upon a time I was a 'barbie doll, and in very good shape) I tried a gym and it was so humiliating I swore i'd never go back. The instructors used to roll their eyes when they thought I couldn't see them. I need to do something at home. I have been walking quite a bit (between 10,000-20,000 steps a day for a couple of months.) It hasn't made much difference, but i'm going to keep it up. I need to do exercises for flexibility and muscle tone. I am very lucky. I have a husband who must be blind, because he thinks I look the same as I did 40 years ago. Anyway, that's me.

You are not old, I'm 69 and lost 48lbs, it's taken a while and still more to go, keep at it one day at a time. Stay focused and good luck,
  • Beth150Ann
    Beth150Ann Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow -- you are guys are great! I'm 54 and in need of losing 43 lbs. I've hit such a weight that at my age everything feels like it is falling apart (body wise not mind!). 2017 is going to be my year and I know Sherry it will be your year too! I'm starting out slowly trying to walk 10,000 steps daily (I have a fitbit); staying within with calories (1500 a day); learning to be kind (I am very critical); getting at least 8 hours sleep a night and stretching 4x a week. I will properly add it weights once I achieve the above. Please stay in touch and let us know your progress :smile:
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have this where you live, but in our city, we have a senior center for people over age 50 with a nice gym free for all members to use. I'm 55, and I love it. Everybody in there is older, so it feels comfortable. Maybe you can find something like that...don't give up on strength training.
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    You know what.....you are not alone. I truly believe if this is something you want you will get it. Let me ask you this....were you always a good writer or did it take practice??
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    BHFF wrote: »
    You know what.....you are not alone. I truly believe if this is something you want you will get it. Let me ask you this....were you always a good writer or did it take practice??

This.

• irejb12
    irejb12 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that you had to experience that at the gym. Don't let those people stop you from going to the gym.

Anyway, I have a knee and shoulder injury; as a result, I do low impact exercise. I work out to dvd exercise tapes as I never really liked going to the gym. Currently, I'm doing Country Heat which is a fun, low impact, line dance inspire exercise dvd. I've also done Lesline Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds which is easy on the joints. You may want to look into dvds tapes like these if you're still not comfortable going to the gym.

Best of luck!
  • rdfaye
    rdfaye Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Keep it up! I am trying to get back to MVP after getting way off track this year. Keep walking, and find another gym. If you have a YMCA near you I would check it out. The one here has an excellent workout area and the members are all different ages and fitness levels. No eyerolling. I have RA and a fake ones, so I struggle with exercising too. And let's not discuss the month long food binge thatcis December. (Whoever brought chocolate peppermint cake pops into work yesterday needs to be shot. )
  • jwat90
    jwat90 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. :)
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Sherry,

One thing you need to do is NOT call yourself those words you have in the title to this thread. Skip the negative words, and have positive feelings about yourself. That would set you on a better path to success. You can do it.

I'm glad your husband sees you in a positive way, so ignore those negative people at the gym.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Sherry, I'm 63 and a year ago felt like you do. Aches, pains, meds for cholesterol & acid reflux were my life. Like you, my husband was fine with how I was. I had the mistaken belief that if I walked and hiked I could still eat what I wanted. You'd think at my age with 35 years of weight loss failures under my belt I would have known better. I started using MFP (3rd time's a charm) last January. I used the calculators to figure out how much I could eat, I bought a food scale and meticulously weighed and measured my food, used Map My Hike to track walking and hiking distance & estimate calorie burn, and read the many forums on MFP that give me good solid information about the whole process. I've lost 60 pounds and weigh less that I have since right after I got married 37 years ago. I no longer take cholesterol meds and my aches are gone. I don't go to a gym, I have a gym outside my door and for cold days (Montana is a little nippy right now) I have a treadmill, stationary bike, and a bow flex in my basement. I also have a large black lab that needs lots of walks and hikes.
    I can't even express how my attitude about myself has changed. You can do this too. Like the above poster said, "have positive feelings about yourself."
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Op, walking is a start, keep at it, log your food, those nasty people at the gym can go kick rocks! In the mean time beautiful one let's change the title of your post to a self affirming one.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Awesome, inspiring, well thought out post.
  • Bellipong
    Bellipong Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Well said AnnPT77!