Macros

Options
So I tried different macro calculators and always get different recommendations. A friend suggested 40p/40f/20c and I've been following it for around a week now so it's too soon to judge if it's working, but I noticed my tummy got a bit flatter (also doing insanity) and arms got bigger (fat big, not muscle big). I exceeded the 40% fat limit for 2 days binging on nuts, but was still under my overall calorie goal.

In your experience, what's the best calculator? Or do you recommend a certain macro ratio?

28yo female, 178 cm, 94.5 KG

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I don't bother with macros and just focus on my calorie intake. Like to keep things as simple as possible over here :)
  • samoejr
    samoejr Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @crzycatlady1 Yeah macros are very confusing :o
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Check out the Eat-Train-Progress group. They will be able to help you out pretty well. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/10118-eat-train-progress
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    samoejr wrote: »
    @crzycatlady1 Yeah macros are very confusing :o

I never tracked them during my active weight loss phase, or during several years of maintenance. A few days ago though I was reading some threads about protein etc and decided to start tracking them, but it was really stressful for me trying to hit all those targets. And really, tracking them wasn't doing anything magical for me lol. This morning I actually adjusted my food diary settings to only track calories again :)
  • Ells30
    Ells30 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am tracking. I was told to do 40/30/30 but someone who is very experienced with it. I gave him my stats and how much I work out etc. so for me, 150lbs and active with crossfit, bootcamp, and line dancing for cardio.. he wants me at 1800 calories, 180 carbs, 135 protein, and 60fat. Once you find out how much is right for your activity level and body type, it isn't any harder than tracking your calories and food. I weigh sweet potato and meat out on a food scale but after a little bit of weighing it, you can tell how many oz you are eating by just looking at it. The problem I am having is like what you said, as I add more calories, carbs, or protein to reach my goals, I often go a little over on fat and sugar! If you want to talk, hit me up.
  • worldofalice
    worldofalice Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It completely depends on your goals - and honestly unless you want to compete or something, it probably isn't worth the fuss (unless you're me and you just like to know things :'))

For example - I'm currently trying to build muscle and gain weight, so I'm on 20p/45c/35f. My intake is going up a bit every week, with the extra cals coming from carbs and fat. My protein stays the same for now and is calculated based on my lean bodyweight.

Everyone responds differently to different macro breakdowns - there is no one "magic" macro split!
  • samoejr
    Options
    Ells30 wrote: »
    I am tracking. I was told to do 40/30/30 but someone who is very experienced with it. I gave him my stats and how much I work out etc. so for me, 150lbs and active with crossfit, bootcamp, and line dancing for cardio.. he wants me at 1800 calories, 180 carbs, 135 protein, and 60fat. Once you find out how much is right for your activity level and body type, it isn't any harder than tracking your calories and food. I weigh sweet potato and meat out on a food scale but after a little bit of weighing it, you can tell how many oz you are eating by just looking at it. The problem I am having is like what you said, as I add more calories, carbs, or protein to reach my goals, I often go a little over on fat and sugar! If you want to talk, hit me up.

Awesome, I'll get in touch! Thanks.
  • samoejr
    Options
    It completely depends on your goals - and honestly unless you want to compete or something, it probably isn't worth the fuss (unless you're me and you just like to know things :'))

For example - I'm currently trying to build muscle and gain weight, so I'm on 20p/45c/35f. My intake is going up a bit every week, with the extra cals coming from carbs and fat. My protein stays the same for now and is calculated based on my lean bodyweight.

Everyone responds differently to different macro breakdowns - there is no one "magic" macro split!

Haha yeah I guess I just like to know how things work :)