Time of day/night workouts

Options
Will working out at night hinder my progress??? I don't really like to but I don't really have a choice right now. Anyone have success with late evening workouts? I have 2 Littles and have to workout after bedtime ... so like 8pm.....

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Hinder your progress as far as what?
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    My only concern about a late evening workout would be whether it affects your ability to fall asleep.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Nope. You do what fits best into your schedule. Mine is usually early am, but that doesn't always work, so I catch it after work or whenever. I do feel better when I'm able to be consistent, but "busy" usually has other ideas lol.
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    This. Is. My. Life. I actually typically get to workout closer to 9:30/10. I have 3 kids, 2 jobs, and I'm a grad student. The only thing I find is that I am a bit keyed up after I workout, so I can't go right to bed. However, it is great stress relief and if I workout and then take a hot shower, I fall asleep almost instantly.
    The nice thing I find about night workouts, is I am never crunched for time, especially if I want to do a bit longer of a workout. If I wake in the morning, my workout may be cut short by one of the kids getting up or needing something as they ready for the day - or I don't have time to shower or something else. While it can cut into my sleep a bit if I want a longer workout, I sleep more restfully when I do workout.
  • TorrizzleWillSizzle
    Options
    Lelah77 wrote: »
    This. Is. My. Life. I actually typically get to workout closer to 9:30/10. I have 3 kids, 2 jobs, and I'm a grad student. The only thing I find is that I am a bit keyed up after I workout, so I can't go right to bed. However, it is great stress relief and if I workout and then take a hot shower, I fall asleep almost instantly.
    The nice thing I find about night workouts, is I am never crunched for time, especially if I want to do a bit longer of a workout. If I wake in the morning, my workout may be cut short by one of the kids getting up or needing something as they ready for the day - or I don't have time to shower or something else. While it can cut into my sleep a bit if I want a longer workout, I sleep more restfully when I do workout.
    Yes to sleeping better lol Working out in the morning is actually a little stressful too for me because I'm worried about my kids freaking out when they get up that I'm not there, granted my husband is home but he is not a morning person and if you wake him up too early... it is literally like waking a dragon lol I was just worried working out at night would't give me the same results, like you workout in the morning then go about your day continuing to burn calories where as you workout at night then you go to bed lol
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Like 8 pm? LOL I do my strength training around 10 pm, and go to bed around midnight. I just am not a day person. Working out makes me sleepy.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I am a mid-day sort of person but since I work all day and am not near a gym or have access to showers, I have to choose either early morning or late nights for my workout. After trying both over the years, I have determined that early a.m. workouts are the only choice for me. By the time I get home, cook dinner and spend time with family, my "get up and go" has got up and went!

I am not a morning person but after two years, getting up at 5 a.m. and being in the gym by 5:30 is a habit. I have discovered that I am revved for almost the entire day after that and don't have my early to mid-afternoon slump at work. Of course, I often crave bedtime at about 8:30 p.m.! However, I stick it out until about 10 p.m.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to why you think it matters? Exercise for health. Do it when you can.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Timing doesn't matter. Some nights I work out from 8-10PM and then wake up and hit the gym from 6-8AM! Time of day doesn't matter at all, as long as you're getting in there and crushing it. Make every second in the gym count.
  • TorrizzleWillSizzle
    Options
    I have mentioned this before. I don't recommend working out after 8pm. With the amount of evil spirits and demons that roam in the dark, they may hamper your progress.

I'm not too worried about the evil spirits and demons, I worship them enough to keep them happy. But thank you for the concern ;)
  • TorrizzleWillSizzle
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I'm curious as to why you think it matters? Exercise for health. Do it when you can.

I don't know if it matters.... that's what I was asking.... Clearly it does not though according to the answers I got. So thank you to those with actual input :)
  • sdejonckheere89
    sdejonckheere89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My timing is all over the place. I try to go when I feel the most energy so I put the work needed into it.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    The best time to workout is whenever you'll do it most consistently. Consistent workouts at any time are better than missing workouts because they don't fit your schedule.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I must finish my gym workout by 10pm or I'm in trouble.
    (They turn off the lights and lock the doors.)

Personally I hate early morning exercise, afternoon is my favourite time but late evening works well for me too and I sleep like a log afterwards.

Kudos to you for fitting it in around your family commitments.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Will working out at night hinder my progress??? I don't really like to but I don't really have a choice right now. Anyone have success with late evening workouts? I have 2 Littles and have to workout after bedtime ... so like 8pm.....

Why would it?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Yes to sleeping better lol Working out in the morning is actually a little stressful too for me because I'm worried about my kids freaking out when they get up that I'm not there, granted my husband is home but he is not a morning person and if you wake him up too early... it is literally like waking a dragon lol I was just worried working out at night would't give me the same results, like you workout in the morning then go about your day continuing to burn calories where as you workout at night then you go to bed lol

You burn calories 24/7...
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

You burn calories 24/7...
    A bro at the gym told me body will not burn carbs after 6pm and will store it as fat ;)

He was pretty buff and he was a football player for his college team.

Which just goes to show that some people succeed in spite of what they do, not because of what they do.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I have mentioned this before. I don't recommend working out after 8pm. With the amount of evil spirits and demons that roam in the dark, they may hamper your progress.

I'm soooooooo glad you brought this up. This is a real issue. So many people work out after 8 pm and wonder why they make no progress. The evil spirits and demons are out to get us. I was one of these folks until I was delivert.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options

Spirits and demons?

Those are your kids bud. Back to that workout ;)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it matters.... that's what I was asking.... Clearly it does not though according to the answers I got. So thank you to those with actual input :)

i'm not sure if 'progress' to you means improvements in fitness/strength, or the whole calorie thing. i kind of like later workouts, especially for lifting. they knock me out if i do them right, and even if it's just my own broscience thing, i like the idea of going straight home and drinking a protein shake in the bath and then falling asleep. it doesn't seem to be harming me much.

cardio though . . . as a bike commuter who likes to work offset hours if i can, a too-late ride home used to make me manic and keep me from getting to sleep. either way i think the influence on my sleeping is probably the main producer of any effect either for or against.