What to prioritize? Working and going to college full time.

Options
Work 3rd shift in a factory, and then go to school a town away until at least 1. I wanted to know what I should prioritize. I'm trying to just lose weight right now, so trying to cut down my food intake. Starting at 518lb. The food profile tells me I need close to 3200 calories per day just to lose 2lbs a week. But I'm trying to keep myself under 2200 right now, and so far its going good.

Now, I don't have a ton of free time, except on the weekends. I have a YMCA membership, and can go there straight after finishing up at school. I need to get to sleep by at least 4:30, so I can have at least 5 hours of sleep. What would be best for me to prioritize? Should I do cardio, strength, or both? Or, should I worry only about food right now?

I've tried asking this on Reddit fitness, and that didn't go well at all. Got tired of private messages calling me all sorts of names. I'm trying, I just have no idea what to start with. It would be easier if I wasn't going to both work and school.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If I were you, I'd concentrate on calorie intake to start. If you have some time for exercise, walking is good.

I suggest that you log what you eat for a week or two without making any changes. Caloried drinks, sauces, anything and everything with calories needs to be logged. You can then look back through to see where you might eat smaller portions and/or make lower calorie substitutions.
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    We can't tell you what to prioritize. Only you can do that. My priority right now is college, and I've still managed to lose 56 pounds. I agree with above...you don't need to go to the gym to lose weight. If you have a calorie deficit then you are good to go.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I'd prioritize logging food accurately and getting enough sleep (and doing your coursework). Exercise would be low priority, well after adequate (6+ hours per night, ideally) sleep.

I'm a fourth-year PhD student; I also have a full-time administrative job at the University, as well as three kids.
  • DarthScabrous
    DarthScabrous Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My problem is that my work and college are 2 towns apart, and I live in the town between them. I spend a good deal of time, at least 90 minutes just driving back and forth. Luckily, I'm almost done with college, at least here.
  • PurpleSnack
    PurpleSnack Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you don't get enough sleep you definitely won't lose weight and your grades and mental health will suffer IMHO. If I were you I'd focus on food for the remainder of the school yeah and take up working out when the summer holidays come.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I am sorry Reddit fitness was cruel to you, it sounds like you are trying to improve your health and life.

If I was in your shoes, I would prioritize:
    1. School
    2. Work
    3. Sleep- I would be trying for as much as I could get. Sleep effects so much of your mental health including motivation and energy. Lack of sleep can cause depression and a bad mood. It also effects your immune system. If you are sick, lack energy, and feeling down it is going to be difficult to keep pushing forward. I know you already paid for your gym membership but honestly, I would use that gym time to be sleeping. Scientific American had a great article about how important sleep is, unfortunately you need a membership to read it. (https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/beyond-memory-the-benefits-of-sleep/) After that article I prioritize sleep above working out. I can give the TD:LR from what I remember if you are curious.
    4. Logging accurately and consistently, using a food scale.

As things change, such as you finish college, that will open up time to add in exercise and get more sleep. Just focus on what you can do, not on what you can't do.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    You have to prioritize what is most important to you. You can lose weight without exercise just by being in a caloric deficit.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say not to exercise, but I'd definitely prioritize sleep over it. How long were you planning on exercising at the Y? Could you shorten it? At your size, you're burning more calories just to survive. The lighter and fitter you get, the more you'll be able to increase intensity of exercise to make the most of your time.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    You have to do what is right for you! Just keep in mind to lose weight you just have to be in a calorie deficit! 80% Food and 20% Exercise. Without compromising school and sleep go ahead and add in some exercise, but if you can't right now...it will not hinder your weight loss efforts. I wish you the best!!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    In order to lose weight you just have to eat at a deficit, that should be the main priority. If you can do that, the pounds will fall right off. Integrate cardio (via walking around the neighborhood, etc.) when possible. Later on when you are closer to your goal weight lifting and more cardio will be more of a priority and will be deemed more "necessary" in order to achieve a final health and fitness goal but for now just focus on eating right! And I'm sorry about your previous other responses you received on Reddit. It's a shame that people are such jerks instead of being motivating and supportive. You've come to the right place if you're looking for a supportive atmosphere that keeps you accountable!
  • smiles6428
    smiles6428 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think finding a good routine is one of the most important things. Once you build habits that you can follow everyday it will become natural. So, if this means getting up 20 minutes earlier each day and going for a walk - great. Then fill in with other exercise as you can. I also think logging your food is key. But in the end, I think building sustainable habits are the most important for long term change.
  • Bigsur2
    Bigsur2 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Man, right now I'm doing about 20 minutes of intense cardio and 25 minutes of intense strength training each day, except for weekends. I'm in and out of the gym in less than an hour. That paired with shooting for a 500 calorie deficit each day, I'm losing lbs and getting leaner / stronger. As stated, only you know your body but I personally think a balance of cardio and strength training is best. Then again, opinions are like *kitten*; everybody has one.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would not eat so far below the goal MFP gave you to lose 2 lbs a week. Slow, steady sustainable loss is better than dropping a lot quickly and burning out in a couple of months. Be patient.
    I would get food under control, logging everything as accurately as you can. This is priority one. Don't drastically overhaul your diet right away. Just start reducing portion sizes and eating more low calorie foods like vegetables.
    Get more sleep. 5 hours is not enough for most people.
    I would not plan to exercise more than 30 minutes to an 1 hour a day starting out. I think it is good to alternate activities. You don't have to go to a gym every day. You can walk, do 10-30 minute workout videos off of you tube or something you don't have to commute to do. Do some body weight exercises at home. Get some dumbells to use at home.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    You don't need to work out to lose weight. Just stay at a sustainable calorie deficit and it will happen. :) Don't drive yourself too crazy over it.

This.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    You have to do what is right for you! Just keep in mind to lose weight you just have to be in a calorie deficit! 80% Food and 20% Exercise. Without compromising school and sleep go ahead and add in some exercise, but if you can't right now...it will not hinder your weight loss efforts. I wish you the best!!

This isn't correct-you can lose weight 100% by your calorie intake and no extra exercise. I lost 50lbs this way and there's many others who have lost weight just by focusing on calorie intake as well :)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,976 Member
    Options
    As a mother of a college age son I will say prioritize your grades. But after that I would prioritize your eating. Make sure you are at a calorie deficit. Exercise is good for you, but for weight loss a calorie deficit is what you need. I would put your stats into mfp and then eat what it tells you. Don't try to go under your calorie goal. You need to make sure you are getting enough to fuel your body. Working and going to college is a lot. If you do any exercise enter it in and eat back at least half of the calories earned. You can do this.
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I think that's probably best. Its a huge amount of work, and maybe I can just go to the gym on weekends. Already have the membership, paid in full, so might as well use it, even a little bit. Maybe an hour swimming or walking each day. That still gets me out by at most 3 o'clock.

I'm so proud of you. You'll do gr8.