Skate skiing vs Classic cross country skiing

Options
I'm thinking of trying skate skiing, I've been Classic skiing for years. Any experience or tips for making the transition from classic to skate?

Replies

• scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    It's tough. How's your balance? Can you ice skate?

IMHO skate skiing is really hard in powder, even harder for beginners, so go someplace groomed to learn.
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I can skate adequately. Balance is pretty good. Our local ski club is amazing, the trails are groomed for both classic and skate. I'm taking a set of lessons to try it out

I'm trying to decide about gear, I own classic skis, I'll rent skate skis for the classes but if I love it I'll buy gear, the two schools of thought I have run into are 1) buy good beginner entry level gear up grade later and your old one will be your rock skis. 2) buy gear for the skier you want to be ie. buy the best gear your budget will allow.

I see merit in both
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I get passed by a lot of skate skiers. They look like they're having fun! It looks exhausting, though. A pound on your foot is like five on your back, and you'll pick your ski up with every kick.

Definitely find some nicely groomed trails, and some skate gear.
  • tennileb
    Options
    I'm keeping my classic skis regardless if I get into skate skiing I assume I won't have the endurance for longer courses at least not until my skill increases so having both sounds ideal
  • smiles6428
    smiles6428 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love both. I certainly love that I can go faster on skate skis, but I find that I can't go as long - I just get more tired easily on skate skis. So I'll either skate or classic depending on what my goals are for the day. The other odd thing that I've found with skate skiing is that it really hurts my ankles. I've taken several lessons to try to figure out why it's happening, but nobody can tell me what it is except that perhaps my ankles are weak. Weird. But I do love my skate skis.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have had classic skis for years and tried skate two years ago. I rented the first few times, then ended up buying skate skis last winter. The ones recommended by our local shop are closer to your second option - definitely not beginner skis, more ones that I will "grow into" as my technique improves. No regrets, though - I love them! Right now I'm dealing with a hip/low back injury that is keeping me off skis, but hopefully I can at least get on my classic skis this winter. If so, I may upgrade my 20-year old rec skis for a nicer set.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    smiles6428 wrote: »
    I love both. I certainly love that I can go faster on skate skis, but I find that I can't go as long - I just get more tired easily on skate skis. So I'll either skate or classic depending on what my goals are for the day. The other odd thing that I've found with skate skiing is that it really hurts my ankles. I've taken several lessons to try to figure out why it's happening, but nobody can tell me what it is except that perhaps my ankles are weak. Weird. But I do love my skate skis.

Have you rented different skis and boots and skated in them?
  • smiles6428
    smiles6428 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    @northcascades- I have tried several different pairs and get the same result. I started changing my stance so I don't flex my ankle as much. This has helped, but I look like Frankenstein on skis.
  • tennileb
    Options
    Dragged my teenager out for a ski, I think I need to buy him new skis asap, maybe the shop will cut me a deal on multiple sets of skis