Tight Hip from Running?

Options
So I've been doing the Zombies, Run! C25K and I'm on the last week (I found I actually really enjoy running once I stop feeling like I'm gonna die). I've been making sure to take rest days and trying to listen to my body because I'm really overweight (5'8 CW 263 GW 140) and I don't want to injure myself.

The last couple times I've run my right hip has felt really tight. It doesn't hurt really it just feels like it doesn't have quite as much range of motion as it usually does. Butterfly stretches that I normally do easily are slightly uncomfortable. Is this something I should be worried about? I'm also a little worried that it might be a problem with my knee that has migrated. Around week three and four I was worried about my knee because it felt a little unstable, again it didn't hurt but something felt not quite right so I took two rest days after week four and then a day of just walking before trying again. It's been fine since then; I haven't noticed anything feeling off. But now that my hip feels tight I'm wondering if there might be some underlying issue I should be looking out for.

Basically is this normal soreness and can I keep running and just pay attention to it (I really want to do this, I'm so close to completing the program)? I could maybe go back to an earlier week and see if the problem is still there with a shorter run?

Alternately should I add some extra rest days in there or are there stretches or strength training that I can do at home that will help?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    your situation may be something else, but every time i try to run i get hell from my tfl, aka the muscle that feeds into your i.t. band along with the glute max.

i always go to this guy to be reminded about how to stretch it. although trigger point release and other forms of massage first are also very much a thing.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Are you running on a treadmill? They tend to make my hip flexors tight. Stretching the hips does wonders for any leg intense exercise. Google/YouTube hip stretches and try to do a little before and after and see if it eases up.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Alternately should I add some extra rest days in there or are there stretches or strength training that I can do at home that will help?

It's difficult to advise on potential injuries, and I'd generally advise seeing a physiotherapist for something like this. There is a difference between soreness and pain, and it sounds more the former, than the latter as you seem to be describing muscular rather than joint soreness.

If you're not already doing some form of cross training on your off days then you should probably start. NHS Direct do a set of bodyweight conditioning that complements the C25K plan and should help Alternatively swimming, cycling or other resistance training plans may do the trick.

I'd generally suggest using some form of plan, rather than using specific exercises you might get recommended.

• zharptichka
    zharptichka Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Are you running on a treadmill? They tend to make my hip flexors tight. Stretching the hips does wonders for any leg intense exercise. Google/YouTube hip stretches and try to do a little before and after and see if it eases up.

I am in fact running on a treadmill as I heard that was a little easier on your body (also I listen to music pretty loudly and zone out so it seemed safer than being outside).
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Basically is this normal soreness

No. Your running form is probably off, which is common with obese people. If you can't get to a sports therapist, try to have an experienced running coach check your form, or at least video yourself, with the camera behind you and from the side, at hip level. Post it here if you're unsure. Video yourself when fatigued. :+1:
  • Ruffianxx
    Ruffianxx Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Be very careful running right now. New runners are extremely prone to injuries. As some people have suggested, have your running form evaluated and start implementing strength training to reduce your risk of injury. For right now I'd reccomend implementing walk breaks during your runs and always remember to gently stretch and/or foam roll after your workout. NEVER RUN THROUGH PAIN, if anytime during your run you feel sharp or uncomfortable pain that reaches beyond soreness, take that as a hint of a possible injury. Cut the run short, head home, and take a day or two off before attempting to run again.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    New runners that OVERDO IT are prone to injuries. Taking it slow, taking days off, and not adding too much distance each week is the key to running injury free.

OP - How old are your shoes? Are they the correct type for your feet (did someone watch you run at a running store and recommend them)?

I suggest taking a couple days off and repeating the last 2 weeks until you can do it pain free.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I tend to have recurring hip issues when I run. I finally realized it was from running as hard as I could every workout. I now only have one hard run a week, and my other 3 runs are easy. You may be overdoing it. Scale back and make sure the majority of your runs are "easy."
  • agproducer
    agproducer Posts: 4 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Shoes could also be a factor. Congrats on taking the steps on a healthier life! Being your size, you MAY want to look into motion-control shoes to help a bit. But, for the best fit, go to a running store so you can get fitted for the proper shoes. As far as the tightness goes, runners hips get tight. Stretch them -- like an earlier poster said. If you feel pain - STOP. You don't want to run through an injury. It could make things worse, or cause other injuries.

If you talk to runners, all have dealt with some sort of injury at some point. I lost 90 pounds with MFP and running (I've put about 20 back on). I've had Achilles pain in both feet, plantar fascitis and hip pain -- all at different times. All started being helped with ice and rest.

Make sure you don't overdo it. But, stick with your plan. I started with a 5k in 2014, then ran my first half-marathon in January 2015. It can be addictive.

Good luck!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    agproducer wrote: »
    Shoes could also be a factor. Congrats on taking the steps on a healthier life! Being your size, you'll want motion-control shoes to help a bit. But, for the best fit, go to a running store so you can get fitted for the proper shoes. As far as the tightness goes, runners hips get tight. Stretch them -- like an earlier poster said. If you feel pain - STOP. You don't want to run through an injury. It could make things worse, or cause other injuries.

If you talk to runners, all have dealt with some sort of injury at some point. I lost 90 pounds with MFP and running (I've put about 20 back on). I've had Achilles pain in both feet, plantar fascitis and hip pain -- all at different times. All started being helped with ice and rest.

Make sure you don't overdo it. But, stick with your plan. I started with a 5k in 2014, then ran my first half-marathon in January 2015. It can be addictive.

Good luck!

Motion controlled shoes for me would be a very, very bad idea. There's no way to tell someone on the internet that they need a particular type of shoe without watching them run. I agree 100% with you on the running store recommendation.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    My gluteus medius always tightens up on me with my cycling and it make my hips feel tight. I do specific stretches to target that and roll on a lacrosse ball...pretty much looks like this...

release.jpg

I also do a lot of stretching of my hammys and do a lot of IT rolling as everything is interconnected.
  • agproducer
    agproducer Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Motion controlled shoes for me would be a very, very bad idea. There's no way to tell someone on the internet that they need a particular type of shoe without watching them run. I agree 100% with you on the running store recommendation.

You are right. I should not have been so general. When I got fitted, I learned heavier runners tended to need the motion-controlled shoes. I was in them until I lost weight. But, each person is different. But, getting fitted is the best thing to do.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options

You are right. I should not have been so general. When I got fitted, I learned heavier runners tended to need the motion-controlled shoes. I was in them until I lost weight. But, each person is different. But, getting fitted is the best thing to do.

I second getting fitted. I wore neutral running shoes from a big box store the first year I took up running. I didn't even know there were different types of running shoes until I went to an actual running store. I learned I severely over-pronated, needed stability shoes, and was buying my shoes a size too small for running. This made a huge difference in my running and how I felt during and after I ran.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options

That was the idea at one time, then everyone decided heavier runners needed stability shoes, and lately most studies have said it's extraordinarily rare for anyone to need a hardcore motion control shoe.

Personally, I always advocate starting with a neutral shoe and going from there. Sometimes having a shoe that forces your body to move differently isn't always good, and unfortunately there's a slew of *kitten* running store employees out there. I had one swear up and down that I needed stability shoes, and when I rewatched the video he made I asked why, since my feet were fine. He explained that since I had flat feet, I clearly needed stability shoes. I didn't buy the shoes he suggested.

Admittedly, I prefer my shoes to get the hell out of my way, but I do think that neutral is better for a lot more people than running shoe companies care to admit. If you have pronation or foot issues, you're going to be far, far better off with an orthotic and a neutral shoe than a piece of plastic that was molded inside your shoe to force your feet into unnatural for them positions.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    My gluteus medius always tightens up on me with my cycling and it make my hips feel tight. I do specific stretches to target that and roll on a lacrosse ball...pretty much looks like this...

release.jpg

I also do a lot of stretching of my hammys and do a lot of IT rolling as everything is interconnected.

this. and also, once i'd gotten my hips so tight there were real problems, very cautious exploration and release of the muscles on the other surface of the pelvic bones helped as well. talking iliacus and psoas muscles, oy ow ow ow.

theraband round the knees and the standard monster/crab walks are both incredibly helpful as well for keeping glute medius muscles in a more functional state. but personally, i just do my best not to run :tongue:
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

I am in fact running on a treadmill as I heard that was a little easier on your body (also I listen to music pretty loudly and zone out so it seemed safer than being outside).

I much prefer the treadmill too, but it's subtly different to running on the ground in a very specific way that can do odd things to the hip flexors. If you think about running on the ground, the major hip effort is in propelling you forward, the push off, whereas on the treadmill during that part of the stride, the ground is helpfully whipped out from under you. Stretching the hips and doing a little bit of walking beginning and end holding onto the rail and consciously pushing through that part of the stride to activate the flexors helps me.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    If you had a knee issue and now have a hip issues - then I would put money on a hip misalignment paired with poor biomechanics. However, no one can diagnose anything online and most everyone here (including myself) aren't qualified to diagnose you in person either.

First and foremost - STOP running if you are experiencing pain. The foam rolling and stretching suggested are great, but you still should rule out a misalignment or other issue or you will just continue to damage your body. I would definitely recommend finding a running coach to help evaluate your form. Shoes do NOT fix biomechanic flaws, they just help cover them up.

Running is great, but with excess pounds to lose, make sure to incorporate lots of lesser impact exercises as well. You can really do some damage if you run a ton when overweight, especially with poor biomechanics. And the majority of people have poor biomechanics due to modern day shoes and lifestyle, so don't take it personally.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

I run in Inov-8s, the company philosophy is around letting the foot control the shoe, not the shoe control the foot. In principle motion control makes sense, until one thinks that restricting the movement of the foot can propagate to other areas of the body. In the same way that cushioned shoes are largely intended to reduce impact on the pelvic cradle and the spine, motion control where it's not appropriate could easily be leading to the hip pain.

The snag the originator has got is that lots of people don't really understand the biomechanics, and nobody can actually watch the originator running. Hence my recommendation, and others, that the best bet would be to see a physio.

Hip pain might be a result of an imbalance in the pelvic cradle, might be a result of core strength leading to an upper body imbalance when running, or it might be a result of strength imbalance, flexibility issues, or something more significant.

• zharptichka
    zharptichka Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    OP here. Thanks everyone so much for the advice it's much appreciated!

In answer to some of the questions:

I did go to a running store in August to get fitted for shoes and they had me run on a treadmill and videotaped it. They said my stride was good and that i wasn't over or under pronating but I was tensing my upper body. So I've been trying not to do that.

I only run every other day and I'm just now getting to 5k distances so I don't think I've run enough to wear them out, the treads on the bottom still look good and the shoes are pretty stiff when I try to twist them.

To clarify a bit, it doesn't hurt. My hip is just stiff when I'm done. It's been completely gone the next day. It just worries me because it hasn't done it before the last couple and I know I check a lot of the boxes for people likely to injure themselves.

For now I think my plan of action is to go back a couple of weeks in the program and see if it still happens. If it does I'll take a few extra days off and go back a bit further. Either way I'll add some of the hip stretches and rolling and see if it helps and figure out a better low-impact cross training routine. Right now I do some body weight and dumbell stuff but it's a bit of a hodge-podge which I know isn't really that effective but it's more about getting myself into the habit of doing something everyday even if it's not a lot.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of the below strap for stretching.

Gold's Gym 12 Level Stretch Assist Strap

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Stretch-Assist-Strap/21666179