Well that was discouraging...

Options
brewer054
brewer054 Posts: 32 Member
So this morning I was packing gym bag for a workout later (if I feel well enough, I've been sick for the past two days,) and my husband made the comment of "...So what? You've only been going for a week. Talk to me when you've been going for 365 days."

What?! Okay, I'm sorry.
How hurtful.
I'm trying to change myself, and be happy with myself.

Replies

• angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that happened to you, but I'm pretty sure a pretty good majority of us would agree that that was a douche thing to say. You're doing an amazing job, and, as the old cliche goes, everyone has to start somewhere! I know it's hard, but just ignore him, and use his words to fuel your awesome workout :)
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Ugh. People can be so duh sometimes. Specially our guys. They don't mean to be though, they just aren't as swift as we'd like them to be. Brush it off, keep working on you. In 360 days, you can laff in his face, while wiggling your nicely shaped little butt at him! xo
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Do what my wife does. Take scissors and cut one of his favourite ties into two and yell "f you".

What he said, that will prolly help you feel better too!! Just make sure it's a tie!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    First off, going 365 days out of the year is not that healthy. Going 5-6x week is acceptable, but your body needs rest. Secondly, not everyone around you is going to be supportive. It's unfortunate, but it's a way of life. My S.O. is focused on work, so he rarely makes it to the gym. You have to be your own motivation and encouragement. It is tough, but that's what MFP is for! When your S.O. sees progress, he will definitely become more motivational.
  • Hungry_Angler
    Hungry_Angler Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Ugh. People can be so duh sometimes. Specially our guys. They don't mean to be though, they just aren't as swift as we'd like them to be. Brush it off, keep working on you. In 360 days, you can laff in his face, while wiggling your nicely shaped little butt at him! xo

I try to assume people are dumb instead of malicious. It makes me feel better about the world. Maybe the husband meant it reassuringly, maybe he was trying to tell he she doesn't need to stress missing the gym while sick, and it came out terribly wrong.

Some people are into tough love, maybe that's the type of motivation they need and that's the only way they know how to motivate. Yes, he still comes off as a jerk. So there *gentle pat on shoulder*.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    brewer054 wrote: »
    So this morning I was packing gym bag for a workout later (if I feel well enough, I've been sick for the past two days,) and my husband made the comment of "...So what? You've only been going for a week. Talk to me when you've been going for 365 days."

What?! Okay, I'm sorry.
    How hurtful.

Just out of the blue? Or were you kind of whining about missing the gym for a couple of days?
    On its own it is a confusing statement to make just seeing you pack a gym bag.
    If you have been moaning about it then maybe it is his way of saying that you haven't made/lost any real progress yet in a week so don't worry so much and in a year you'll have great results.
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that happened to you. I would just prove him wrong.
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    You are right Gianna
  • brewer054
    Options
    _unsteady_ wrote: »
    Lemme guess this isnt the first time? The weekly gym going thing i mean

Actually, this is the first time I've ever been to the gym.
  • brewer054
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

What?! Okay, I'm sorry.
    How hurtful.

Just out of the blue? Or were you kind of whining about missing the gym for a couple of days?
    On its own it is a confusing statement to make just seeing you pack a gym bag.
    If you have been moaning about it then maybe it is his way of saying that you haven't made/lost any real progress yet in a week so don't worry so much and in a year you'll have great results.

Yes, I had missed a day because I was sick. So I was trying to get back on track.
  • BrinaBecnel
    BrinaBecnel Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Omg! I'm so sorry. That's awful. Don't let it discourage you. Let it motivate you instead.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options

What?! Okay, I'm sorry.
    How hurtful.

Sorry, baby girl. I'm going to tell you something you really don't want to hear.

Many people will not encourage you. Some will even try to sabotage you. Comments, whether fat or slim will occur. Sometimes silence about reaching your goals.

And from the people who were complaining the loudest about it - you would think they'd be the most supportive, but no.

If you are serious about this, you have to do it for yourself, and ignore the noise. Don't let it get to you. You working toward a goal is threatening to people. Give them the grace to deal with their issues while you deal with yours.

Hint: Success board on MFP, thread "things they never tell you about losing weight." There are a lot of stories you should hear.

Wishing you the best.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    People say stupid and hurtful things. Guys do it, girls do it. It's crappy he said that to you no doubt. Hopefully it was something he will realize that was hurtful and apologize to you later about it. I've said things in the past that as soon as they left my mouth I went ... oh *kitten*.