Anyone using pre-made WL programs like Jenny Craig, Medifast, Nutrisystem?

Options
I am considering using one of these programs as I need help reigning in portions, eating balanced meals.

Does anyone have a good experience with any of these or something similar? Please share.

I feel like I want the thinking taken out of this for now...I want to get used to smaller meals, on a schedule and see if this helps my ability to stay on track.

I am not looking for critics telling me to make everything myself and eat clean, there's too much sodium as I've spent years buying produce, cooking meat, weighing it out but again, I eat pounds of cauliflower and just feel I need to stop trying to go to extremes. I would prefer to be able to eat processed food, healthy fresh food, etc. but get used to proper portions first and having them already made, just needing to be heated may work well.

Really not looking for criticism about diet plans, but more just those who have experience with these and what they found either negative or positive.

Replies

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I haven't personally but have a friend who did Jenny Craig to lose 60lbs for her wedding. On the positive side it worked, she lost the weight in time for her wedding. On the negative side she learned nothing from it because "the thinking was taken out of it" and she regained post-wedding and has gone back to Jenny since. It is also very expensive and she says the food is gross and the whole experience makes her unhappy.

Soooo there's that...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with set meal plans. But they have to be suited to your needs. I'm all for "think once, do repeatedly". I don't think you'll "get used to" smaller meals; if you have set your calorie goal to aggressive/low, you can stick to it for a while until you can't anymore, but then you'll crash, hard.

There's nothing special about these foods, except that they're boring, and what I'm reading between the lines is that you are bored with food and eating and logging and constant awareness, rigid rules and restrictions. So I don't know how any these diets are going to be a good match for you. And I also read between the lines that you already know what kind of advice you will be getting. Most users here just eat whatever we want and log it. If you want customer reviews, go the the producers' websites.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I am considering using one of these programs as I need help reigning in portions, eating balanced meals.

Does anyone have a good experience with any of these or something similar? Please share.

I feel like I want the thinking taken out of this for now...I want to get used to smaller meals, on a schedule and see if this helps my ability to stay on track.

I am not looking for critics telling me to make everything myself and eat clean, there's too much sodium as I've spent years buying produce, cooking meat, weighing it out but again, I eat pounds of cauliflower and just feel I need to stop trying to go to extremes. I would prefer to be able to eat processed food, healthy fresh food, etc. but get used to proper portions first and having them already made, just needing to be heated may work well.

Really not looking for criticism about diet plans, but more just those who have experience with these and what they found either negative or positive.

Meal replacement plans are great for losing weight. Been there, done that. BUT, unless your meal replacement plan (of choice) also teaches you something about your maintenance strategy, you are bound to repeat these kinds of diets over & over. I lost weight & regained using SlimFast. Hungry, cranky, and regained the weight.....you won't get a recommendation from me.

Eating "clean" is subjective. Poll 20 different people and you will get at least 10 different definitions of clean. Eating clean isn't a requirement for losing weight any more than eating low sodium is.

This site is designed for measuring & logging portions, so that's what most of us do. Meal replacements help you skip all that. The least extreme thing you could do is eat less (of your current foods) and strive to move a bit more. I totally agree about extremes.....they won't be part of maintenance for me, so why "practice" extreme measure to lose weight.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily an eating plan, per se, but I've had luck with HelloFresh, they deliver all the food you need for 3 dinners in 2 or 4 servings options. They deliver all the ingredients, you do all the work, but you actually have reasonably size portion meals, healthy food and you're learning to cook new food.

I haven't heard good things about any of the pre-made WL programs, because they don't give you the tools to keep the weight off when you transition off the plan.

My 2 cents, eat what you're eating now, just small portions, even if it means making 2 servings and putting the 2nd serving in leftover containers, so there's no temptation to go get more. WL is more mentally than physically, you gotta fix the mental before you can get the physical, if you don't then the weight comes back on.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I did Nutrisystem. It worked. But...
    Food was really high in sodium and kind of gross.
    I learned nothing from it and gained it all back and more when I stopped.
    Wish I had just buckled down and started here.
    I had my "ah-ha!" moment when I realized that if I wanted to look like a fit person, I had to start acting like one.

I would say that if you do start using one of those services, use the time wisely -- since you won't have to spend time preparing meals, you will have lots of time to read the most helpful forum threads here on MFP to learn about the importance of protein, fiber, energy balance, and exercise, and what you need to do when you start eating on your own again.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I used e-diets for a while. It worked and knead happy with it, but it became to expensive. This was years ago before I found out I had food allergies. What I liked was the meals were delivery fresh each week, which was different than all the other plans out there.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Not a plan per se, but I love low calorie frozen entrees (Lean Cuisine, Boston Market etc), because they're pre-portioned out and easy to prep. I add frozen veggies and canned chicken/bacon bits to give them more bulk and they make filling meals for under 500 calories. You can get them on sale frequently for around $2 also. This may help you get a reign on portion sizes, without spending a lot of money on one of the plans where you're locked into a subscription/contract.

I do this too .. stoffers is good and has some smaller portion meals .. also buy frozen chicken and veggies at sams club to make low cal dinners easy .. I'm a guy so I like easy quick meals .. the plans you mention are good but just control your calories .. you can do same with other frozen dinners and find some things you like ..it's all in the math no matter where your calories come from

Good luck
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I did Medifast about 4 years ago and have kept the weight off. Only did it for about 4 months and lost ~40lbs. My only regret was/is not strength training at the time. I lost a lot of muscle. Knowing what I know now, if I had to do it over again I would strength train and supplement medifast meals with protein shakes. I don't believe I got enough protein to minimize muscle loss.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. All of the advice here is helpful. Agree that extremes don't work. I think I'll stick to what i've been doing more or less, with the exception of substituting meals in occasionally like lean cuisine if i truly don't want to cook and prep every single meal of every single day
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Not a plan per se, but I love low calorie frozen entrees (Lean Cuisine, Boston Market etc), because they're pre-portioned out and easy to prep. I add frozen veggies and canned chicken/bacon bits to give them more bulk and they make filling meals for under 500 calories. You can get them on sale frequently for around $2 also. This may help you get a reign on portion sizes, without spending a lot of money on one of the plans where you're locked into a subscription/contract.

This is what I was thinking. I stayed a healthy weight through my twenties eating frozen dinners, canned soup, and store prepared salads. I never counted calories during that time, but I can't think of an easier way to track than reading the back of a single serving meal. I'm sure it would be much cheaper and have more variety than a program too.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. All of the advice here is helpful. Agree that extremes don't work. I think I'll stick to what i've been doing more or less, with the exception of substituting meals in occasionally like lean cuisine if i truly don't want to cook and prep every single meal of every single day

I use the frozen meals frequently. They're convenient, cheap, low calorie and with vegetables make a fine lunch. The balance works well for me. A can of soup and a bag of frozen vegetables has the same effect as the frozen meals.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    And I second the soup idea-I love canned soups because again-portion sizes already built in! I look for light soup options (LOVE Progresso Light ones)-2 servings per can and I always just make the whole can. I add things to these as well-usually crushed tortilla chips, bacon bits, shredded cheese, hot sauce etc. Tonight I'm having one can of Campbells Harvest Tomato Soup, with spicy tortilla chips added in. Will be a filling meal for me and it will come in at 350 calories. I may get wild and pair it with English Muffin garlic toast lol :)
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    This is really helpful..I think it will break up the monotony of me cooking the same thing every single day. It caused me to binge really bad the past two days because I was just tired of fasting all day to eat the same meal again. I like the food i was making but I think I just need to get used to portions, regular meals. Fasting was making me overthink and not want to do anything past a certain hour of the day so I could go home and eat my allowed calories. Weird I know.

I'm almost into 4 years of maintenance and I still use these frozen entrees regularly, 2-3 times a week usually :) I wait til they go on sale and then stock up on them. I like pairing most of them with bagged frozen veggies-I'll defrost the veggies first in the microwave, then cook the entree except for about 30 seconds, and then add the veggies and finish cooking. I also like adding canned chicken too- I just microwave it for around 20 seconds on its own, and then add to the entree/veggies for the 30 seconds. Minimal prep and they're really filling meals!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I started using MFP with the explicit idea that I was going to fail, and then I was going to try Medifast (but the version with the helper coach). I can see how a program like this is effective because of the "prescribed food" that keeps someone within calories and on-plan. Taking away the choice of "what's to eat?" is a big and important deal to some, and having it wrapped up in a nice package can make that easier.

Ultimately, it's still a calorie deficit that is driving the weight loss.

MFP has worked for me, though, and I didn't turn to one of those meal plans to achieve my deficit. I am glad I stuck with MFP and here's why: Now I understand what a calorie deficit is, why I need one to lose weight, and how to manage my eating long-term to get sustainable results. I am in charge and I am in control, and best of all I eat real food and ALL kinds of it. I hope that this will lend itself overall to my long-term success and maintenance, and not just the weight loss.
  • gononi
    gononi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well, about two almost three years ago I lost 47 pounds with Nutrisystem, picked up MFP 2/3 of the way to goal. They got me into portion control mode now it's about keeping the 5-10 pound flux under control. I bounce up and down with my last 10 pounds it's when I stop tracking what I eat that I get into trouble. MFP seems to be the best thing for me these days.
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    My mother did nutrisystem, and lost about 60 pounds. She was in maintenance and eventually stopped altogether and gained ALL of her weight back. When you are done, you really have to stick to the plan or learn how to eat normal food and hardly any of it.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit is challenge enough, let alone eating food someone else picked for you into the bargain.

I just eat what I feel like within my calorie limit. Keeps me happy and healthy.