Raw vegan lifestyle?

Options
newstart1988
newstart1988 Posts: 154 Member
edited December 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
What is your opinion on a raw vegan lifestyle? Is it healthy eating nothing but raw fruits and vegetables?

Replies

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I know it wouldn't be sustainable for me. I wonder how a person gets enough protein on a diet like this? Could you eat tofu or beans?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Eating just raw fruits and vegetables? Probably not. But most raw vegans eat more than that -- sprouted grains, nuts, and seeds are also part of the diet. I think you can even spout lentils and eat them (but I'm not sure about that).

It's not for me and I do think it would be pretty easy to miss out on something you need without careful planning, but I think that it could work for some people.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    The people I know that did this had bad breath. I know of no proven health benefit of this way of eating over many other less restrictive ways of eating.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm pretty sure most of the raw vegan lifestyle proponents don't eat exclusively raw? Just mostly? Either way, be vegan for ethical reasons as I said and just eat a broad and varied diet within those parameters and include necessary supplementation.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Also, I'm pretty sure most of the raw vegan lifestyle proponents don't eat exclusively raw? Just mostly? Either way, be vegan for ethical reasons as I said and just eat a broad and varied diet within those parameters and include necessary supplementation.

I think you're thinking of the "raw till 4"...most proponents of a full raw vegan lifestyle do eat pretty much exclusively raw...I think they're allowed some broth here and there...but it would depend on how religious one is about the diet...most of them are pretty religious about the diet.

It's an ideological stance much like veganism itself...only lacking in logic. Their ideological stance is that cooking is unnatural processing of food...even though we've been doing it for about 2 million years.

Ah well there we go. Not up on my vegan sub-cultures!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    You don't just eat raw fruits and vegetables. I don't think it's particularly healthy, and it's also a lot of work and planning to make sure you're getting adequate nutrition, as well as a lot of prep. It's also not a "diet" (from a weight loss perspective) - a lot of the food is calorie dense, so you can still overindulge.
  • NeuronsNeuronsNeurons
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I think it's like any chosen way of eating. It can be done with carefully planned intention. Or by carelessly jumping in without doing any research. How you approach it, is what will determine if it is healthy.

this
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    Read Richard Wrangham's "Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human."

Raw veganism isn't our natural state. Sure, you'er likely to lose weight, but that's because its nearly impossible for humans to get all the necessary nutrients for life and health from a raw vegan diet; it takes a *lot* of work (and expense) to do it "right' (meaning, you get MOST of the necessary nutrients). A significant percentage of women put on raw vegan diets for extended periods *lose* their periods, which is a sign your body is really, really unhappy with your food plan.

That's a great book -- highly recommended.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I think it is going unnecessarily out of your comfort zone for the sake of a puritanical ideology.
  • humpbackgirl
    humpbackgirl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I eat vegan and I usually get my protien from beans, chia seeds, tofu etc. As for raw, I haven't done that
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I've done raw and it's fine. I think you need to be very clear on the reasons you want to do it. Weight loss cannot be your only motivation... it's very easy in a lot of respects but contrary to what someone else said above, the food is low in calories and you need to have the money to make sure you can eat a lot of fruit and veggies. Dates and nuts are high in calories and you can sprouts beans and grains.
    Check out forty below fruity or rawvana, two girls who rock the raw food lifestyle
  • manther88
    manther88 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    God gave us carnivore teeth for a reason. My sister says she's a vegan but keeps eating meat so I don't think it's a good idea just to eat veggies and fruits. Meat has nutrients in it. Eat the dang meat except pork. Pork is the worst meat for us.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've done raw and it's fine. I think you need to be very clear on the reasons you want to do it. Weight loss cannot be your only motivation... it's very easy in a lot of respects but contrary to what someone else said above, the food is low in calories and you need to have the money to make sure you can eat a lot of fruit and veggies. Dates and nuts are high in calories and you can sprouts beans and grains.
    Check out forty below fruity or rawvana, two girls who rock the raw food lifestyle

You just contradicted yourself...the other poster was in deed referring to the fact that not all raw foods are low calories...as you pointed out, nuts are calorie dense...I eat a lot of avocados...they're calorie bombs.