Teachers of MFP!

Options
Hey there!

I'm certain I am not the only teacher using this fabulous calorie tracker -- let's motivate each other to avoid the plethora of faculty room treats and throw away the birthday cupcakes! It's always, always someone's birthday in my elementary school!

Whether you've got a few to lose, lots to lose, or just want to maintain let's start a teacher support group!

-MamaPeaches, K-3 Title 1 Teacher

Replies

• mila_lova
    mila_lova Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just finished my teaching credential! In January, I'm going to start a long-term substitute teaching assignment in first grade. I'm SO excited!

It's awesome to meet another teacher!

During my last long-term sub, and during student teaching, I would come home from work, sit on the couch, and stuff my face because I was so tired. How do you deal with the fatigue? As a real teacher, you have way more responsibility than I do- how do you get through the day without tons of sugar? lol
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Former preschool teacher and current Individual Assistant/Paraeducator here!

What I discovered is that protein was the key...too many carbs left me cranky and hungry through the day. So I keep high-protein snacks near me: protein bars, jerky, cheese sticks mostly. These keep me going in a more sustained way.

Have a plan when you can't eat sitting down in the staff room. Meetings happen and even at the best of times some teachers don't really get to eat. Teaching while hungry is just not a good idea, and for me a meal replacement bar or something similar is better than nothing.

In general avoid the school cafeteria. Even though some food programs have become better, they still tend to be full of carbs and fat. Of course, this will depend a lot. I know my high school has decent sandwiches and a respectable salad bar. But most of the hot lunches are harder to fit in my calorie allotment.
  • mila_lova
    mila_lova Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I have been making sure I get enough protein these past few days, and it makes sense that I should focus on that once school starts again. I'll make a list of my high protein snacks so I remember to bring them :)
  • Jaymefirst
    Jaymefirst Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I am a 5th-grade teacher in WA! I would love to join a group of like-minded teacher friends!! The staff room is always a struggle! In our building, we host a parent group weekly that is full of donuts, coffee cakes, and other delicious sugary treats to encourage parents to be more present in the building. Great idea, but I'm trying to encourage them to use something other than food to get them through the doors...I'm not winning this one!
  • suegil314
    suegil314 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm a school nurse from NJ, can I join?? My office is right next to the main office where random treats come in. Some days my lunch is cut short and I find myself eating the wrong things just to get something to eat.
    Agree with the protein suggestion, makes such a difference. As far as fatigue and eating when getting home- such an easy habit to fall into. I've tried eating a healthy snack (in the car) such as a baby bell cheese and carrots (get the protein and the crunch) and then if you can go directly to the gym or for a walk (stress reliever). Even if I go straight home, I don't find myself eating everything in sight! Good luck with your long term sub - very exciting!!!
  • eatyourbeets88
    eatyourbeets88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in my second year of teaching and have gained 15lbs. I too need to avoid the staff lounge and start meal prepping!
  • kenyonhaff
    Options
    Jaymefirst wrote: »
    I'm in! I am a 5th-grade teacher in WA! I would love to join a group of like-minded teacher friends!! The staff room is always a struggle! In our building, we host a parent group weekly that is full of donuts, coffee cakes, and other delicious sugary treats to encourage parents to be more present in the building. Great idea, but I'm trying to encourage them to use something other than food to get them through the doors...I'm not winning this one!

Oh dear, and that doesn't encourage healthy family eating habits, either. And I would think that something like hot coffee or tea would be just as welcome and much easier to manage!
  • vrosebegin2112
    vrosebegin2112 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Anyone have advice about how to up water intake throughout the day without having to pee constantly? My class has last lunch and an afternoon prep period, so I basically have not been drinking water (or anything) in the morning because I do not have a chance to get to the restroom.
  • melinakristensen
    Options
    Hi! I'm a secondary school teacher in Greenland, looking to turn things around this coming year. I need to drop about 30 lbs, seeing as it has begun to affect my back. I used MFP for a while and it worked wonderfully. I got lazy and stopped logging in my food, and the weight has returned. Now I'm determined to keep it off. Please feel free to add me.
  • KerrySmilesmfp
    KerrySmilesmfp Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm a pre k teacher in Nj and I totally can relate I avoid the teachers lounge and all the treats there also I agree with the above can't drink too much water... Also I can only bring snacks that are easy to eat like a cheesestick because otherwise too hard to go wash hands touch the food get a fork etc. so any other peanut free ideas for snacks? Thanks follow me:) kerrysmilesmfp
  • rmbellew
    rmbellew Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in my second year of teaching (9th grade) and have gained 12 lbs since starting the job. In our profession, it's so easy to build routines that omit exercise and include "feel good" snacks and treats. Something's gotta give! I'm excited to start making some healthy changes. Feel free to follow/add me if you'd like. Planning to start posting again tomorrow.
  • rmbellew
    rmbellew Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Anyone have advice about how to up water intake throughout the day without having to pee constantly? My class has last lunch and an afternoon prep period, so I basically have not been drinking water (or anything) in the morning because I do not have a chance to get to the restroom.

I have a 40 minute drive to work, so if I slug a tall glass of water right when I wake up, I have to pee right about the time I arrive to school. Just don't forget to use the bathroom before that bell rings!
  • madelinecamille
    madelinecamille Posts: 1,131 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Oh god I love that this thread exists!

This is my second year teaching, and I have gained so much weight from stress eating (sugary treats in the office really don't help either). I switched grades this year and everyone on my grade level team is new to the grade or new to teaching. First quarter was hell!
    Anyone have advice about how to up water intake throughout the day without having to pee constantly?

Not sure if this would work in your situation, but I have a teacher buddy who will come watch my kids for a minute if I really need to pee. My classroom is right by the drinking fountains so she'll just walk her kids down for a drink break and keep her eye on mine while I run to the bathroom.

I also try to drink 3 glasses of water right when I wake up in the morning and then I drink the majority of my intake after work.
  • Nina424
    Nina424 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing my student teaching. I've gained so much weight, I'm at my heaviest. I have a friend's wedding in April and I graduate in August. I don't want to feel embarrassed every time I have to take a picture. My goal is to lose 40 lbs.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Elementary art teacher here. I gained quite a bit my first year teaching, but thankfully have lost it all now that I'm in my 3rd. 40-45 min commute one way too, but I still manage to squeeze in gym time after dinner. If I didn't, all those break room treats would be the death of me.
  • MammaPeaches
    MammaPeaches Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    rmbellew wrote: »

I have a 40 minute drive to work, so if I slug a tall glass of water right when I wake up, I have to pee right about the time I arrive to school. Just don't forget to use the bathroom before that bell rings!

Hey! I also have a long drive to school. I find it difficult, at times, not to want to stop at the drive through for a "snack" on the ride home.
  • Disneygirl23
    Disneygirl23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    4th Grade teacher here! Last year I lost 50 pounds (from Feb 2016 - Sept 2016) and was able to do it with the support of those around me at school. It is so difficult to avoid temptations at faculty meetings and all sorts of other events happening throughout the year. One great thing we did at my school was we did our own version of "The Biggest Loser." I didn't win, but loved being held accountable and pushed each week! With Valentine's day coming in the next month of so, I know the chocolate treats will be coming...oh to avoid those delicious treats. I need to get back on the horse and lose the rest of my 35 pounds I've been needing to get rid of! After 50 pounds, I plateaued for the longest time, I'm hoping with starting the C25K program, it will help get me to overcome this obstacle! Good luck to all and best of luck in your journey!
  • kenyonhaff
    Options
    rmbellew wrote: »

ALWAYS USE THE BATHROOM BEFORE SCHOOL STARTS! ALWAYS!!! :D
  • kenyonhaff
    Options
    I'm a pre k teacher in Nj and I totally can relate I avoid the teachers lounge and all the treats there also I agree with the above can't drink too much water... Also I can only bring snacks that are easy to eat like a cheesestick because otherwise too hard to go wash hands touch the food get a fork etc. so any other peanut free ideas for snacks? Thanks follow me:) kerrysmilesmfp

For me:

Rice rolls/cakes
    Protein bars (a lot of them have peanuts or nuts, though)
    Beef jerky
    Coffee/tea
    Premade sandwich (high fiber wrap with some meat and cheese--just like those Rev packs at the grocery store but far cheaper!)
    Carrot sticks/apples/celery sticks
    Yogurt (those in Go-gurt type packs aren't too bad...)