I weigh ~470 lb, where do I start?

Options
I'm 18 and morbidly obese. I started getting fat around 6th grade and it just got worse over time. I'm aware I overeat and I live a pretty sedentary life. My back and joints hurt at the slightest amount of exercise and I feel clueless about what to do to start the change. Is it really as simple as eating less and slowly adding more exercise?

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    tobastion wrote:
    I feel clueless about what to do to start the change.

I'd say you've already started.
    You've decided to take action, you have a goal (though it probably needs some refinement, you do have an idea), you're getting information & support.
    Check with your doctor, see if there are any health concerns other than simply being heavy. Maybe s/he can refer you to a dietician so you can lean more about nutrition, and they might even know of support groups or classes.

To give you an idea of where you are now, and what a healthy goal weight is, & how many calories you should be eating, go play with this calculator from the Baylor College of Medicine.
    https://www.bcm.edu/cnrc-apps/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.cfm
    It takes into account your age & activity level, and will tell you how many servings of the various food groups you should be eating.
    (Hmm... it won't go above 300 lb.)
    But using 18M, inactive, 300 lb, 68" tall, the BMI is 45.7 & you'd need just over 3600 cal/day to maintain that weight.
    So maybe an initial goal could be 4000 cal/day, and as you start losing weight drop 100 cal a month.

For that hypothetical 18yo male who's 68" tall, the highest healthy weight would be 163, giving you a BMI of 24.8 & just over 2500 cal/day.
    Yeah, that's a huge change. But you're going to do it over several years.
    Make yourself a chart, or a table, showing every 5 lb you're going to lose. When you hit that goal, write the date next to the weight. Every 25 lb or so, take pictures. Even if you never show them to anyone, you WILL want to see how much you've changed.
    Plan rewards & celebrations for major milestones. Get new tennis shoes, or earbuds, or find a state park you've never been to & go for a hike w/ a picnic lunch.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    You start right where you are. Movement hurts; I totally get that. Find small ways to move more that you can handle. Start with chair exercises if you need to. Do little things like more chores around the house. You start at *your* level. Don't worry about what other people at other weights are capable of doing. You are the measure of progress.

As far as food, I started by adding things in. I didn't restrict calories or foods at first; I just filled the kitchen up with healthier options, especially produce. When I was ready, I started logging and following a high calorie goal. From there, I switched into serious loss mode (after talking to my doctor) and reduced calories further in order to lose aggressively. Slow starts and small habits are very important, but I also believe that with the amount of weight I had on me, I needed to switch into high gear after those first couple of months. Losing 1 pound a week would not have worked for me.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on beginning this journey! You can do it.
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Just wanted to say congrats for reaching out and asking questions. Take it 1 day at a time. You are so worth it!!

tobastion wrote: »
    I'm 18 and morbidly obese. I started getting fat around 6th grade and it just got worse over time. I'm aware I overeat and I live a pretty sedentary life. My back and joints hurt at the slightest amount of exercise and I feel clueless about what to do to start the change. Is it really as simple as eating less and slowly adding more exercise?

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's that simple. The hard thing is actually doing it. Not because it's hard, but because it's hard to make yourself do it.

It can be useful to address why you are eating too much, but no matter what those reasons are, to lose weight, you have to stop eating too much.
  • traversp117
    traversp117 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 63 years old and since Memorial Day I've lost over 50 pounds. I actually thought I had reached a point in my life where I could not lose weight. I thought that I was eating a healthy diet, but when I started to see the calories I was consuming and becoming more aware of that I GRADUALLY changed my diet. I still eat whatever I want, I just adjust for it. The other thing I did was walk. Just walking; no gyms, no fancy equipment, just walking. When I started to walk I couldn't even walk one mile without stopping and gasping for breath. Now I regularly want anywhere between 4-6 miles a day. I have a I would also recommend getting a Fitbit or some other tracking device. When you start logging your food and exercise it has an effect on you and even the little changes are a huge victory. Also, you might want to consider taking the emphasis off losing weight: I decided I wanted to be stronger and the weight was secondary. I hope all these comments help you get started, but in the end its really up to you to decide how you want the rest of your life to go.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit=weight loss. It is that simple. The exercise is secondary and should be used more for fitness than weight loss. Even starting out by walking 15-30 minutes a day will probably net you huge benefits. Buy a food scale, weigh everything you eat, and log accordingly. Make sure you stay in a calorie deficit and the weight will come off. It may seem daunting, but you can do this. Keep moving forward and you will realize your goals.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    As everyone has said, it's all about calories. I lost 160 pounds in a bit less than 9 months, going from 340 to 180 just by counting and restricting calories. I did not exercise, though it is good for your body.
  • nattyleigh1991
    nattyleigh1991 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Firstly, well done for wanting to make the change! When I started my journey I had a week where I ate as I normally would and tracked it all. It got me into the routine of tracking what I eat, and I was surprised by how much I was eating!!! I then went about setting myself a long term goal (to lose nearly 200 lbs) and short term goals (drink more water / go for a walk / lose 6 lbs / etc)

I tried a number of different approaches, but what has worked best for me is a high protein low carb diet. It's hard the first week because I got headaches and felt sick and light headed because I wasn't having the sugary carbs that I used to eat.

What I have found by eating high protein, is that although I'm eating a third of what I used to eat "calorie" wise, it's still quite a high calorie count - but its the good kind. I slowly added exercise - a couple of walks a week and swimming.

What's really helped me, is setting myself up a blog. At the moment, by blog is still in 'draft' mode as I don't feel brave enough to make it public - but it's my accountability and somewhere I can vent where I have that day I want to just eat crap! I post regular picture updates to see even the tiniest of changes - more like my own private diary, for now.