Terms of endearment

Options
elka67
elka67 Posts: 268 Member
Spent Boxing Day with my husbands family inc my sister-in-law and her new ( almost a year) man.
Every other sentence between them was finished of with "baby". It was verging on the silly in my opinion, esp in a room full of family.
But maybe it's just me? I've been with my husband 25 years and have never called him anything but his name, if my memory serves me right. And if he's called me anything, I can't remember it.
It's quite possible we've done it randomly here and there mid cuddle when alone but it's not a habit.

Do you use pet names? Which? Why? In public? And are we unusual if we don't?

Replies

• Mrs_Hewi
    Mrs_Hewi Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    HeyaBerg wrote: »
    Maybe they don't remember each other names and at this point they're too afraid to ask...

Hahaha! Love this comment.

• elka67
    Options
    Well yeh, and always using a pet name does mean you won't use the wrong one ;-)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    We absolutely do not use first names...we just talked about this and even tried it and it was actually really strange and unnatural for us to call each other by our first names in our home.

In public we use first names, its more professional do not want to sound cheesy per se , close family we use things like "hun", honey, or babe.. we have a lot of names we call each other, depends on what we are doing..lol
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    ^I find those really weird.

I just shorten the Mrs name, she has one for me.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I call my (newly ex) husband "snack" or "esnack"

It's from when we first started dating and he called me "cougie" for cougar because I'm two years older. At some point I called him my "cougie snack" and he pronounced "snack" "esnack" due to Chilean accent, hence "esnack" or "esnacka" -- which I still call her 7 years later and after some rough times, and finally, this fall, divorce. Almost always use this term of endearment.

Eta: and I am still "cougie" or "couga."

Sorry if this is causing nausea. I agree with Roxie -- it feels weird/unnatural when we use our names in private. Usually signals anger or annoyance.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    I'm Al. I'm always Al.

Don't call me baby or baby or sweetheart. Those ones will get my wanting to throttle you.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    The movie was ok.
  • elka67
    Options
    Thanks for the responses I really wanted to see if it was me or if it was unusual.
    So it's me then. Thanks.

It may have been that it was the same term over and over and over...honest am not jealous, I thought it was a bit odd that it was so repetitive and used in front of everyone. Like they were making a point rather than being affectionate. But I'm 15 years older than them so maybe I'm reading it wrong.
    And for the guy mentioning divine marriage, I don't get it , maybe cos you're smarter than me or maybe cos we're both atheists. Whatever.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    _unsteady_ wrote: »
    I have names for everyone I call my father dad my mother mom my grandparents lolo and lola my son son my wife wife and my dog dog. I even have some names for people here from tattle tales to snitches to butthurt or uptight yeah pretty much i rename people i meet

I can't remember people's names, my mom told me once it's cause I don't care, so I rename peole.
  • elka67
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    _unsteady_ wrote: »
    I have names for everyone I call my father dad my mother mom my grandparents lolo and lola my son son my wife wife and my dog dog. I even have some names for people here from tattle tales to snitches to butthurt or uptight yeah pretty much i rename people i meet

I can't remember people's names, my mom told me once it's cause I don't care, so I rename peole.

I should probably try that as I am getting worse at remembering names lately.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I have a family member that does the same thing, and I kind of question if it's just the term "baby." I often get annoyed, but I also dislike her husband, so there's that. I don't know, the pet name "baby" is just so dissonant to me. There's no creativity behind it. If you're going to have pet names, be creative. It's part of the fun.

I second (third?) calling my husband by his name in private.. it's weird. But I don't necessarily have a serious petname for him.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    My husband thinks he is in trouble when I use his name to call him :-)
    We use petnames often and with family around, but in public not too much. We also refer to each other by our given name - though my husband shortens mine
  • elka67
    edited December 2016
    Options
    It literally was 'baby' every 5 mins and as they have a 4 month old actual baby in the flat too it kind of seemed bizarre. Last time we saw them at a summer bbq it didn't happen at all.
    It's not that I see pet names as odd as such , I may do it in private but don't really recall it as I don't use a particular name regularly.
  • elka67
    Options
    elka67 wrote: »
    It literally was 'baby' every 5 mins and as they have a 4 month old actual baby in the flat too it kind of seemed bizarre. Last time we saw them at a summer bbq it didn't happen at all.
    It's not that I see pet names as odd as such , I may do it in private but don't really recall it as I don't use a particular name regularly.
    Don't be jealous. You want your husband or anyone else to call you baby? Just ask ;)

Hey, 'don't call me baby!' ok. ;-)
  • BrinaBecnel
    BrinaBecnel Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I pretty much hate pet names. Especially baby! At least be a little more original. I admit I do use them ironically/sarcastically though! I like to say "thanks snookums" sarcastically and after I watched Suicide Squad "puddin'" stuck around!
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    Schmoopie is nice.
    (Seinfeld reference)