Beautiful Behaviors - End of year 2016

Options

Replies

• moodyshannon15
    moodyshannon15 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I lost 50 pounds a few years ago and I've gained it back by going back to the bad habits I had. I'm ready for a wonderful change!!!!
  • jessiquoi
    jessiquoi Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    welcome, shannon! i've been there, actually i am there! i'm trying to lose 30 lbs that i regained, and then another 70. where do you live? tell us about yourself a bit, if you like.
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Just wanted to say sorry I haven't checked in, have a nasty stomach bug (stomach flu? Not sure) all weekend, this is my fifth day being sick so sorry I haven't been around! Trying to get better currently so I can be back and participating again.

<3
    Amanda
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    oh, amanda, feel better soon! we miss you. <3
  • sunnysunny88
    sunnysunny88 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yay for wifi! Get well soon Amanda, stomach bugs are not pleasant. Make sure you are well hydrated

Welcome Shannon!

My goal today is just to stay in my calorie goal, it's hard when we have lots of treats left over from Christmas and my dad is over staying with us and he doesn't like the 'healthy' food I cook, so I cook a different meal which is also tempting for me haha

Have a great day

• jessiquoi
    Options
    today is the first day i didn't track any of my food all week. i had potato chips and m&ms for breakfast that weren't cleaned up last night! oh dear. i didn't walk as much as i have been either. i did drink tons of water though, so i'll celebrate that and try harder tomorrow to figure out where everything is in this mess here!

love,
    jess
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

Amanda -- Feel better!! That bug seems to be going around. I know quite a few people who were also victims of it, unfortunately!

Jess -- So glad you're finally getting settled. You'll be able to unpack in no time!

Welcome, @moodyshannon15 ! I know exactly what that feels like, I put 40-50 back on, plus another 20; You can do this. This is a great group for support! :)

I have been babysitting and/or working my part-time night job along with my full-time day job and let me say, it is taking a toll! My poor kitties are alone most of the day, and then I come home and sleep... so they hardly get any attention and it makes me sad.. which makes me want to eat! I was just thinking in the shower this morning, how I am paying for them to live in a nice little apartment and they get to enjoy it, and I want to enjoy it with them. It is hard living to work right now, I would rather work to live.. and be able to enjoy things! One of my sad triggers this morning. Also that my clothes just seem to be getting tighter, not looser. I know that I have maintained over the holiday, so that is a NSV. I just need to get moving!!! I have done well with water, but the exercise has been little to none. I just want to sleep when I get home or just be at home. I have some workout videos that I need to just do, if I am going to stay home. That is what they are there for!

Today my little goals are:
    Be positive; This morning was hard and I did not want to get out of bed. This was the first time I showered since Monday (Depression sucks!!). It wasn't that I did much to really make myself stink, but just too much work. Embarrassing to admit. I honestly haven't experienced that with depression before, so that is a first. Work has also been challenging, which hasn't helped. So being positive will make me feel better. I am bigger than this feeling!

Drink water -- I missed my 100oz, by two bottles. I did get enough water in yesterday, but I just want to hit the 100 mark each time. Water is key to help with bloat and such... which I feel, and is probably part of the reason my clothes fit snugger today.

Stay within my calories and either do a workout video or go to the gym. I HAVE to do this. No if, and's, or but's about it.

I hope you all have a great Thursday (also Friday for a few of you, already!)
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    Libby, big hugs for you! I also suffer from depression (and horrid anxiety attacks) so I know what you're dealing with. For me, I find that it helps if I give myself a little slack on the days when it's bad. You know that it will pass, or at least get a little better... that's the way it works, right? It's cyclical! So I try to set myself little goals on the bad days that just keep me from slipping backwards, and not worry too much about moving forward. Drinking your water is great, keep that up! I remember you mentioning desk exercises... how are those going for you? Have you tried them yet? Maybe that can be your exercise for today?

Good morning, everyone! I slipped on my tracking yesterday, and I vow to get back to it today! Come Jan 1, I up the ante and work on staying within my calorie goals. It's going to be hard without a frig and a kitchen, but for me it's all about trying to get a little better each day. Baby steps!

What is the beautiful behavior you find most easy to keep up with? Which is most difficult?
  • woznube7
    Options
    This time of year is especially hard, as well as around the beginning of May. Although I try not to let it take over, it does creep in and hold tight for a while. It makes it harder when people do not understand, but I try to fake it til I make it! I did look up some desk exercises and am going to try to do some today. Yesterday I attempted, but then did not complete them. So that is another behavior I will do today! :)
  • catgerm
    catgerm Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi all! My name is Catrina, I'm 32 years old and live in Northern California. I'm a stay at home mom of 2 little girls and 1 dog.

I love this thread! As I'm reading through, I have so much I want to comment on, and now I forgot everything.

Anyways, I've always known, but never wanted to change my eating habits. The results would be working out a bunch, and maintaining at my higher weight.

I finally did mfp after my first daughter turned 2 and lost a few lbs, but nothing drastic. I wasn't really eating healthier, just less junk, which was better than nothing.

I'm now just about a year postpartum from my second and have really cleaned up my eating, and it has helped a lot.

I love the part in the thread about self care. I need to remind myself of that. I'm currently in the cycle of forgetting about my needs, and then having a melt down every month or so (or it may be pms now that I see its monthly).

Looking forward to reading through more of your posts!
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Welcome Catrina and Shannon!

Catrina - that is great that you have changed your eating habits! Definitely helps a lot!

Libby - I'm so sorry you are having to deal with depression right now. I don't personally struggle with it but my brother does and I know it gets harder for him this time of year. *big hugs* You are doing great keeping on!! And those desk exercises sound great, I may need to start doing some as well!

Jess - Oh no, I'm sorry you have depression and anxiety as well. That is a great way to handle it, though! Nothing wrong with having slack days to help. I know I do that when I'm not feeling well or having a bad fibro day. Some days you have enough to worry about without adding trying to lose weight to it!

So I'm feeling a little bit better today (yay!!) and have been able to eat a little more normally, still not normal yet. I was basically living on soup, crackers, and ice cream because that's what my stomach could handle, today I brought oatmeal and mashed potatoes to work as well as soup (trying to keep a semblance of my normal calories) and am eating a little bit at a time and seeing if I can handle that. It seems to be working so far, just trying not to overdo it!

I don't know what possessed me to jump on the scale this morning, sick, monthly cycle, and everything but I did and was glad to see I haven't gained anything so I'm calling that a win!! Hopefully once my body settles back down to normal it'll be a little less but even if it's not, I'm happy with maintaining for the moment. I'm still working on the loving myself all the time but today is a good day, I'm happy with me.

Hope you all are having a lovely Thursday, weekend is on it's way!
    Amanda
  • woznube7
    Options
    Hello Catrina! This is a great place to be! :) You're already on the right track with the little changes.. this is something that I need to work on every day!

Amanda,

Thank you!! It runs in the family. My mom has it, and my brother has it severely. I do not take any meds for it, but I have gone to counseling! I didn't really ever have it, but it was just triggered severely about four years ago and I am still trying to "heal thy self". Just need a little more love/reassurance from time to time, that is all!

Glad you are feeling better! And yay for maintaining in all of that craziness, that is a great NSV!
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    welcome, Catrina! i think self care is ignored a lot because on some level, we think we don't deserve it because of our weight. i believe that if we love ourselves and take care of ourselves NOW, the weight will be easier to lose.

of course, i still have to prove that :/ lol
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    Amanda, thank you, it is what it is. It's not a great combo with my diabetes, as fluctuating blood sugars means fluctuating moods as well, and it takes me a little longer to get out of a funk than it did before I became diabetic. My fiance is bipolar, and we have a great support system with each other. <3 I'm glad you're feeling better!
  • woznube7
    Options
    Good morning, all!

Happy Friday!
  • paigern82
    paigern82 Posts: 30 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hello everyone.

What a perfect forum for me! Developing healthy behaviors is my goal: Getting Fit and Eating Healthy help me focus. I am certainly hoping that weight loss is a side effect.

My name is Paige and I am a nurse practitioner. I am 53 years old and have been single for 12 years - by choice! My kids are: daughter 29 and son 25. My son and his girlfriend have blessed me with a wonderful grandson and they have another one on the way. My mom is still with me but we lost my Dad this last August. He was a hero being awarded the Distinguished Service Cross during the Korean War - so my role model for sure!

So happy to meet everyone and am looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Paige
  • iris2811
    iris2811 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Welcome Paige, Catrina and Shannon! (hope i've said hello to everyone else before, if not please forgive me.)
    Well I've been ill for the past three days - fever, cough, shivers, achy muscles the lot! But I'm much better now :-)
    Lovely to see that this thread is still as wonderfully open and focusing on the positive (whilst allowing for the stuff the gets us down to be aired)
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    Welcome, Paige! It's nice to see someone else CLOSE to my age here :). I'm 59, and have a 27 yr old daughter who is just getting serious with her beau... I foresee grandchildren within the next few years!

Good morning, everyone! It's a sunny, cold day here in MD. I'm sitting in my bedroom with my personal and work laptops, my phone, and my cat, trying to stay out of the way of the construction going on downstairs. I don't think I'll get much done workwise today, as these guys sing while they work LOL! I'm glad they're happy and doing a good job, but I'm supposed to be taking an online course today. I guess it will wait.

I'm a little unhappy with my progress since the move. It's proving to be nearly impossible for me to eat healthily without a refrigerator here, unless I drive to get food for each meal, and I'm not doing that. We're living on takeout, and I'm not making good choices. Plus, my activity level is down low while I'm in the house and construction work is going on. The only thing I've been managing is keeping up with my water intake. I hope to get things set up a little better this weekend, and our refrigerator is being delivered next Friday, so improvement will happen.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow evening. We have unformed but definite plans to hang out with a couple of friends. It will be nice to get out of the house and see people!

Today I am going to concentrate on getting up at least once every hour to walk around the house and try to put some steps on. What are you focusing on today?

love,
    jess
  • iris2811
    iris2811 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hey Jess
    don't let it get to you! not sure about the climate in MD but could you keep meat and veg in a locker outside for a couple of days? or is is not cold enough for that?
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    I think it would work, Iris, but I have nowhere to cook them right now. i hope this weekend to set up my microwave and george foreman grill, which will help. Baby steps! I'm managing to stay cheery through it all, thanks! <3