Do macros really matter?

Options
2»

Replies

• glassjailer
    glassjailer Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I eat high carb, moderate protein, ultra low fat now after years of lchf eating, and find I have way way more energy than I did eating on a keto style diet. I'm definitely not starving ever, although when I get hungry (and it happens much more quickly), I need to eat right away.

It's worth a try. On 50f/45p/5c I had incredible stamina, and could just grind away for hours on all sort of projects, but it took me a long time to get going in the mornings, I was freezing all the time, and would feel weak durning heavy physical demands.
    On 60c/35p/5f, I am raring to go right away in the morning, I don't 'need' caffeine as often, feel really strong and alert when I have heavy physical demands, and due to all the carbs, I feel very satisfied, even eating at a deficit.

If you are experimenting, check out a very low fat diet as a possibility. May work for you. :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    If you feel better low carb but want carbs for your workout, look into cyclical LCHF or keto or targeted keto (TKD). You can be LCHF most of the time to deal with hunger issues and then add carbs right around your workouts. I know of one member on MFP who was keto but he ate his 200g+ carbs around his 4 hour bike rides so he stayed in ketosis.

Also, the fatigue that comes with lower carb is often due to low electrolytes. Low carb causes lower insulin which causes water to no longer be retained. With water loss comes electrolyte losses. Low carbers find they need to consume about 3000-5000mg of sodium per day which is about 2 tsp of salt. Many do well adding magnesium and potassium too as the body leeches that out if you let sodium get low. Symptoms of low sodium are fatigue, headaches, crankiness, sore and weak muscles, or muscle spasms, brain fog.

Most find it takes their body a month or more to adjust to fat burning. During that time there is a slight dip in energy during exercise but it is very slight and should not impact performance much.... elite athletes will notice it more. Once you get past that the reward is usually a steadier energy. You'll never hit the wall again.

That is patently false. And has been shown to you before.

http://www.mysportscience.com/single-post/2016/12/01/Ketogenic-diets-for-athletes

What is false?

It takes a month or more for most to get fat adapted. That's true. I'm not saying it takes a month to get into ketosis but to get fat adapted where the body prefers burning fats.

There is a slight dip in energy as people become fat adapted. It's true. Most athletes will notice it, especially the elite athletes who have less room for a temporary decline in energy. True.

Once you get past fat adaption, energy is steadier. Hitting the wall is when you run low on glucose for fuel and your brain makes it tough to go on. That's when the body is switching over to primarily fat burning. True.

Not sure what part you think is false.

The FASTER study looking at ketogenic athletes that have been long fat adapted: http://www.metabolismjournal.com/article/S0026-0495(15)00334-0/abstract?cc=y=

I can't remember where I saw it, but I remember seeing how a few of the higher carb athletes switched over to ketosis after particpating in this study becaise of the results of the low carbers. They said it took a few months to get through fat adaption but found it worth it.

A participant in the FASTER study: http://zachbitter.com/blog/2014/04/takeaways-from-the-faster-study.html

Ketosis for a single jerk and lift may not be ideal, but the ketogenic power lifter will have steadier energy... it may not be what he wants but that doesn't change anything.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    If you feel better low carb but want carbs for your workout, look into cyclical LCHF or keto or targeted keto (TKD). You can be LCHF most of the time to deal with hunger issues and then add carbs right around your workouts. I know of one member on MFP who was keto but he ate his 200g+ carbs around his 4 hour bike rides so he stayed in ketosis.

Also, the fatigue that comes with lower carb is often due to low electrolytes. Low carb causes lower insulin which causes water to no longer be retained. With water loss comes electrolyte losses. Low carbers find they need to consume about 3000-5000mg of sodium per day which is about 2 tsp of salt. Many do well adding magnesium and potassium too as the body leeches that out if you let sodium get low. Symptoms of low sodium are fatigue, headaches, crankiness, sore and weak muscles, or muscle spasms, brain fog.

Most find it takes their body a month or more to adjust to fat burning. During that time there is a slight dip in energy during exercise but it is very slight and should not impact performance much.... elite athletes will notice it more. Once you get past that the reward is usually a steadier energy. You'll never hit the wall again.

That is patently false. And has been shown to you before.

http://www.mysportscience.com/single-post/2016/12/01/Ketogenic-diets-for-athletes

See Peter Atilla's experience in increasing aerobic capacity at eatingacademy.com
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    How about a balanced diet? I don't understand the need for a diet to be an extreme one way or the other...
    Aren't you mostly vegetarian now? That's leaning towards one extreme.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    How about a balanced diet? I don't understand the need for a diet to be an extreme one way or the other...

Vegetarian diets aren't necessarily extreme in macro splits.

You yourself come on here talking about vegetarians and vegans doing keto.

Keto is only extreme because of its macro split, imo.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

I'm vegetarian at least 3 days per week...but my macro split doesn't lean to one extreme or the other. My carbs may be a bit higher than many, but not extremely so...I'd say on a veg day I'm probably around 50%. I also eat dairy and eggs and vegetarian days...

My macros provide for a pretty moderate split in that I hit requisite fats and protein for health and round out the rest with carbs. I'd say I'm pretty moderate carb, moderate protein, and moderate fat...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lady_ghost wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    I hope you don't mind, but I looked at your diary (it's open).

I think you need some chocolate or icecream. Seriously!

I'd be starving on all that Kale and beans!

Best wishes. :heart:

LOL yea my clean eating has been getting to me. I'm trying out new recipes that are earthy but delicious.

Maybe it's not the macro split that is hard for you but too much focus on "clean eating"? Maybe loosening up on that, and allowing for some treats in moderation, would provide you enjoyment and lead to better overall dietary satisfaction?

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    lady_ghost wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Moderate? Like 40-30-30%

I am starving on that. But I have alot more edgy so I changed it to 40 carb 35 pro 25 fat for tomorrow. I'll see how that goes

FWIW, I lost 36# over 5 months on high protein diet with the same macros (35P/40C/25F) at a deficit of 300 cals/day below TDEE while also gaining LBM and losing fat, as measured by DXA, when combined w/heavy lifting 3-5 days a week and cardio (mainly rowing) as needed to burn cals to meet my daily cal limit.

Never felt starved or lacking energy while on this diet.