Terms of endearment

Replies

• elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    edited December 2016
    I do use odd pet names to the children sometimes but again in private. Cucaracha is a favourite.

But in general I'd rather use the name or just say pass the bread please, rather than ..
    "hey daddy pass the bread"
    "here it is baby".
    It just don't suit me. But clearly I'm odd. If I hear my name I just think someone is calling me. Thanks.
    I'll keep my head down on New Years Day when we're there again.

• kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    If my fiance' calls me by my name it's usually because he's pissed
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    "Do you use pet names? Which? Why? In public? And are we unusual if we don't?"

Nope.
    We just never have. I guess it feels stupid and awkward to me and dh hasn't called me by anything other than my name in 17 years of marriage.
    I don't know if it is unusual. I don't hear our friends or family constantly calling their spouses by pet names.
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Angela937 wrote: »
    I'm baby girl, he's Daddy

You call your husband/so "daddy"?
  • Angela937
    Angela937 Posts: 514 Member

You call your husband/so "daddy"?

In the bedroom or while texting, yes
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    i never call anyone by their given names. i give them their real name.
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Real names mostly, but I do use 'Fenian' with the SO and I'm just 'hun' sometimes.
  • Angela937
    That's effing bizarre. I never ever liked the whole daddy *kitten*. It's not funny. Very paedo...

Just cause its not your thing doesn't mean you should criticize it. I find it highly erotic!
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    That's effing bizarre. I never ever liked the whole daddy *kitten*. It's not funny. Very paedo...

Just cause its not your thing doesn't mean you should criticize it. I find it highly erotic!

To each their own. I would feel like a pervert calling someone my daddy. Granted my dad is deceased, but it just doesn't sit well with me.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited December 2016
    I don't have a pet name for my husband, but sometimes my husband calls me 'sweetie,' which I like. :)
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    I re-name everyone. My cat has about 6 different names - she comes when I call any of them. I re-named my boss's dog - dog seems to prefer the name I gave it. I have numerous pet names for my Husband and Daughter - none of which I can share here - some they like - some they detest.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member

To each their own. I would feel like a pervert calling someone my daddy. Granted my dad is deceased, but it just doesn't sit well with me.

It probably has something to do too with what you call your father. My sister calls our dad "Da" and always has where as I've always called him "Daddy" never Dad so it would be weird to call someone I liked Daddy.

As for pet names, I'm from the south. It's kind of a way of life. I call strangers sweetheart and most children are referred to as baby, sweetie, darling, or hunny. I call the boy love, hun, or sweetheart.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    becky10rp wrote: »
    I re-name everyone. My cat has about 6 different names - she comes when I call any of them. I re-named my boss's dog - dog seems to prefer the name I gave it. I have numerous pet names for my Husband and Daughter - none of which I can share here - some they like - some they detest.

My dog has a hundred pet names. But she's, you know, a pet. I rarely call her by her real name. She knows it's serious if I do.

My significant other has one name, his.
  • Angela937

We're in a Dominate/submissive relationship. For me, its very natural. I've never called my own father "Daddy" before, so it isn't weird to me.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    My bf has a hundred nicknames he calls me. Most are to troll on me bc I'm dating an "internet troll" irl. I use his name or his name shortened most of the time. I never liked "babe" or "baby" but I do catch myself saying it rarely to him. BUT if I'm talking to my 4 year old niece I call her babe and baby, hun allllllll the time! One time I was in the car with her and her dad and we both called her baby simultaneously. So he calls her that too. I didn't know I'd turn into a southern waitress when I became an aunt.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited December 2016

We're in a Dominate/submissive relationship. For me, its very natural. I've never called my own father "Daddy" before, so it isn't weird to me.

Calling your OH Daddy can also be a regional thing.

I know plenty of submissives who also find it icky. (Not dissing you for your choice; just want to make a point that there is no consensus on this term in the D/s community.)
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Oh and how could I forget? My bf has terms of endearment for himself that he made up one day and forever referrers to himself in the third person as said nickname. "Big Gangster Dick Tone" He came home from work just now singing that name to the tune of "twinkle twinkle little star" -_-
  • Angela937
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Calling your OH Daddy can also be a regional thing.

I know plenty of submissives who also find it icky. (Not dissing you for your choice; just want to make a point that there is no consensus on this term in the D/s community.)

Every Dom and sub can make their own names. Its typically Sir or Master, but it can be whatever each couple likes. To each their own!
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member

At first I thought this was a joke.. Now I'm kinda scared... And I Have never called my papa daddy. English isn't my language but I'd never call a guy I was hooking up with daddy..

But hey.. We're all different and into different things.. That's the beauty of it.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Married 6 years and we say "baby", "honey". In and out of the house. We also call each other inside joke nicknames that are spinoffs of what my husband's toddler little sister used to call us before she could pronounce our names correctly. "Haugz" for Alyx, and "Mahnah" for Molly.