How precise should I log?

Options
I've heard a lot about weighing foods and adding them to MFP by ounces or grams. I don't currently have a scale (though I intend to buy one); how can I measure foods until I get one? Do you measure EVERYTHING (ie. oils, mayo, chips, bread, etc.)? That seems like it could be overwhelming...

Restaurants are my favorite. How do I log meals that I eat out? I've been planning ahead in MFP to stay within my calorie goal, but I'm not sure how accurate my estimations are... Anyone have advice other than to stop eating out completely?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You don't need a food scale precisely but you need to track your intake as best as possible. If you are not losing weight, eat a little less everyday. If you use measuring cups and spoons, do not fill them to the top or eat 100 calories less everyday.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a human scale, your estimations are probably not accurate in the slightest. As to how precise should you log? Well, that depends on your goals...are you trying to lose weight? If so, you should be as precise as possible with everything you can, in order to give yourself some wiggle room in estimating restaurants. Is your goal to gain weight? Being precise may not be as important here. Maintaining? Depends on how hard it is for you to maintain. More information is needed to answer your question.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I get as precise as I possibly can. With my own stuff I'm dead on because I cook pretty basic. It's easy to forget the olive oil or butter but I think I've gotten good at that.

When you have to guess, you have to guess. I don't eat out as often anymore so it's not too big of an issue. I like to get burritos at a place called Taco del Sol (similar to Chipotles) and they've let me scan in a few things and I've watched them measure the beans and stuff. So I think I'm fairly accurate there. I think the more accurate you can be the better.

How clear of a picture do you want? That's how accurate you should be.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    I would say, yes measure ESPECIALLY oils, mayo, chips, bread. You don't need a scale, but did you know that measuring spoons and cups are meant to be filled so that there is 1/8 to 1/4 inch rim left? So don't fill them all the way...especially with oils, peanut butter, chips, butter, salad dressing, cheese.

A food scale is $10-$20, you don't have to wash anything after you use it, and you get accuracy. I couldn't live without my digital food scale.

• wanzik
    Options
    I would say, yes measure ESPECIALLY oils, mayo, chips, bread. You don't need a scale, but did you know that measuring spoons and cups are meant to be filled so that there is 1/8 to 1/4 inch rim left? So don't fill them all the way...especially with oils, peanut butter, chips, butter, salad dressing, cheese.

A food scale is $10-$20, you don't have to wash anything after you use it, and you get accuracy. I couldn't live without my digital food scale.

Really? I did not know that. I always fill spoons and cups. Hmmm... good to know.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Getting a digital food scale will take a lot of the guesswork out of the equation.

The more accurately you can log, the more predictable your results will be.

I find I tend to eat a lot of the same meals/recipes/items, so once I had them accurately logged once, repeating the entries for any particular day (just adjusting the amounts where needed) is actually really quick and easy. :)
  • madguru7
    madguru7 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Keeping track of how much you eat of everything is the entire point. (That was not meant to be snotty, by the way.) So yes, it's a pain in the @ss at first until it becomes a lifestyle. A permanent part of your daily routine.

As for restaurants, most chains have nutrition facts online. I use them all the time to look up what I'm going to order even before I get there. Takes the guess work and stress out of the equation.

And things like olive oil (for example) have a lot of calories, so if you don't log everything then you won't have the true picture.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Personally, I use a food scale because I find it faster and easier than measuring cups/spoons. But the answer is that you need to measure as precisely as you need to. Or at least as precisely as you can without causing yourself undue problems. Some people do really well with eyeballing, but most of us are just naturally bad at it.

Some video examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

https://youtu.be/vjKPIcI51lU

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XpHykP6e_Uk
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I dont mean this to be snotty - but if you dont try to log precise then what is the point??? Its just a guess after that. No matter how hard to try to be exact some of has to be an educated guess to start with - so the more you move away from being exact - the more meaningless it becomes. Sorry - but if you really want to lose weight - it requires work. There are no shortcuts.
  • cambridgestylist
    cambridgestylist Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I use a scale to measure my meats and cups/spoons for everything else. It works for me and it's not too hard to do.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    The more accurate you are in detailing what you're consuming, the more accurate you can be with what you need to burn in order to lose weight. Eyeballing did not work for me. Once I got my scale, I eyeballed a serving of brown rice, then actually weighed it. I was WAY off. It definitely got me using my scale more often.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You'll get the results out that you put in. If you have a lot to lose you can be less accurate but when you get closer to goal sloppy logging often won't get you the results you desire.
  • rdfaye
    rdfaye Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Also, you can save foods as recipes or meals. If it is something you eat often, that is a time saver. Just make sure you measure/weigh it the same way every time you make it, and dole out the correct serving size. And restaurants usually have their nutrition info online, or you can ask the server for it.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    jmp463 wrote: »
    I dont mean this to be snotty - but if you dont try to log precise then what is the point??? Its just a guess after that. No matter how hard to try to be exact some of has to be an educated guess to start with - so the more you move away from being exact - the more meaningless it becomes. Sorry - but if you really want to lose weight - it requires work. There are no shortcuts.

I dont agree with this.

The point is to lose weight - logging precisely in itself is not the point.

If you really want to lose weight you need to eat in a calorie deficit - that's all.

If you can acheive that without accurate logging, no problem.

I never weighed everything obsessively - I weigh calorie dense items and estimate rest from past experience and law of averages - ie every mandarine, egg, slice of bread etc I eat is about the same size and it evens out.
    This worked for me and I lost to my goal and maintained since then.

The aim of the game IMO is not to log as accurately as possible - it is to log as accurately as you need to to get results.

If after the first month, you are losing as expected, then the level of logging you are doing is working for you.
    If not, either tighten up your logging or conciously cut back intake - ie eat less without changing logging.

• wanzik
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yes, the point is to lose weight. But it's a learning experience so I still think one should be as accurate as possible. DianneTheGeek's picture with 4 plates... I can't think of a better example as to why - especially in the beginning.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    As precisely as is necessary and you are comfortable with.

I know - vague, huh?

Some people can have great success at eyeballing and estimating. Others are absolutely terrible at it.
    Some people find it sufficient to use measuring cups/spoons. Others (typically) misuse them and end up eating more than they think.
    Some people absolutely must use a food scale for accuracy. Others - as noted above - may never use one and be fine.

Additionally, some people find using scales quick, easy, and have no issues using them. On the other hand, some people get overly stressed and/or obsessive about either trying to get an exact number on the scale or what happens when they can't use it - such as at restaurants or other people's homes.

Finally, many people start by weighing/measuring everything. Then, later, they learn to estimate pretty closely and are able to tweak things, when/if necessary. They may only weigh/measure certain things, while simply estimating some/many items that are generally low-Calorie and that you don't use much of.

The point? Ultimately, it's up to you. If you feel like you can easily use a food scale and have no issues? Great! If not, then there's other options.

^ Pretty much exactly what I was going to type, great post.

I'd add that if you DONT log meticulously you should be open and aware of the fact that you probably are eating more than you think you are and that you may need to temporarily log accurately at some point, or reduce your calorie intake, or both.

Point being, acknowledge the lack of accuracy.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    jmp463 wrote: »

I dont agree with this.

The point is to lose weight - logging precisely in itself is not the point.

If you really want to lose weight you need to eat in a calorie deficit - that's all.

If you can acheive that without accurate logging, no problem.

I never weighed everything obsessively - I weigh calorie dense items and estimate rest from past experience and law of averages - ie every mandarine, egg, slice of bread etc I eat is about the same size and it evens out.
    This worked for me and I lost to my goal and maintained since then.

The aim of the game IMO is not to log as accurately as possible - it is to log as accurately as you need to to get results.

If after the first month, you are losing as expected, then the level of logging you are doing is working for you.
    If not, either tighten up your logging or conciously cut back intake - ie eat less without changing logging.

Agreed