Stuck in hotel room with my feeder mother, Debbie Downer

Options
My mother and I are staying in a foreign city for Christmas. She is prone to negativity at the best of times, but being away from bingo, her cats and in a developing country isn't proving an enjoyable experience for her. I feel an enormous sense of guilt that she's not enjoying herself ("the coffee is cold, the room view sucks, there are too many motorbikes, the language is different, it's dirty, the theatre seats are too far back"). I spent the first five days scrambling to keep her entertained, trying to guess what would please her (eating junk food seems to be about it), the last two days I have simply kowtowed to her wishes and although it seems to irritate her when I answer every question with 'whatever you'd like to do, ma' -- it's up to you' it's been easier for me than than guessing what she wants. I do want her to be happy, I want her to have a good holiday and create nice memories, and I especially want to be grateful for time spent with mum -- I know a lot of people don't get this kind of chance. The constant tide of negativity has worn me down though.

On an intellectual level, I recognize I'm responsible for my own emotions and experience of the world, however I can't shake this feeling of utter sadness, and it's manifesting through self-punishing binge eating. Mum's always been a feeder (she's obese class i herself) and I have sunk back into eating terrible habits partly to block the torment, and partly because at least then she's happy and doesn't scowl. I've gone from consistently (months and months!) of eating around 1200 cals a day (whole foods, vegan, intermittent fasting) to a maddening gluttony of 3000 cals a day stuffed with chocolate brownies, ice cream, and white bread.

In another three days we go back to our normal lives, so theoretically this will all be over soon. But I'm begging for some kind words, some positivity, and maybe some gentle reassurance that this isn't the undoing of all my hard work. I don't think I can change my mother (I can only try to look after her), but I want to know that I can choose to change myself, right? I can pick up where I left off and this *kitten*, disordered relationship with food doesn't need to control my life? I grew up an obese child, and only recently got down to my lowest adult weight ever -- just 3kg above my maximum suggested BMI. I'm so frightened of getting back on the scales once I get home.

TL/DR -- chocolate brownies antidote to cranky mother; send fruit/reality check ASAP?

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    You're on holiday, relax and try not to worry too much about the food. As you said, once you get back home you can get straight back on track, and that's the most important thing. No putting it off, just get right back to it and any weight gained will fall off pretty quickly (a good percentage of it will just be water). I'm sorry that you're having a hard time with your mom on holiday, I'd be pretty fed up as well--but try to enjoy what's left of it without adding MORE stress to your plate! :)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Read WinoGelato's thread "Who gained weight during the holidays". You'll find alot of good information for your situation. I'm sorry your mom isn't a happy person, but some people just are that way. You may need consuling to learn how to handle you feelings with her. Good luck.
  • Pierre_is_a_cat
    Pierre_is_a_cat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    HI ladies, just wanted to thank you both tremendously for your replies. It means the world and offers a lots of perspective. :)
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I feel for you it's so difficult to be surrounded by negativity. Especially when you are on
    Holiday. I hope the scales will be kind to youbut you sound like a string person who can switch this around when you get home. Good luck.
  • 7ElizabethAnn7
    7ElizabethAnn7 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Be patient with yourself and be as patient as you can with your Mother. Definitely get right back on track when holiday is over, but you are wise to make some of the choices you have made. Someday she will be gone and you will never regret the times you took to be kind and attempt to understand her. As time goes on those memories will be all you have. Ask me how I know. :-(
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm of the camp that says don't fret it. On holidays, I prepare myself for eating badly and then just get back on the horse afterwards. When I was younger, I used to make the mistake of thinking I'd blown it and keep eating badly, for months.....

Once you learn you are in control, it becomes easier to have a blow out. It's tough the first time though, as you worry you won't get control back.

It sounds like you're handling your mother well to be honest. You know her failings. She's a whole different person from you. My mother is lovely, but she's a lifelong pessimist. She's who she is, and can't change. It took me a long time, but I got used to appreciating that I love her anyway. Decide either to cut back on some extras for eating, or decide that when you step foot home, you're back to your regular way of life, without guilt for your time away.

I hope you manage to enjoy the time you have left.

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    My mother has badgered me about my weight since I was in grade school - probably since about 5th-6th grade. I've just turned 50 this year. It has bothered me all my life that the only thing on her mind (or so it seems) is my weight. Everything conversation revolves around what I eat, what I do with my time, if I'm going to the gym, and she goes to my husband behind my back to tell him to quit enabling me (he doesn't).

I also remember a friend of mine who we nick-named "Grump". She always wanted to lose weight and could find fault with everything. She used to gripe at me because I was the one "always making plans for the weekend with our friends". She wanted to be the one to do that. SO I'd "fall back" to let her, and then nothing would happen and everybody would get aggravated.

I know I'm saying this about my own mother too - but there are some people that you just have to limit your time with them. Being around negative stinking thinking people will draw you down to their level.

It's so important to be so careful of your "input"....whatever you're paying attention to whether it's the news, the movies you watch, the people you hang around with. It's really come down to a "If it isn't helping you then it could be hurting you" or your efforts, particularly in the weight loss area.

Like you said - you can't change her, but you can change you - or the amount of time you spend with her or talking to her. Not saying to cut her out - just be mindful of it. It's taking care of yourself.
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    It's very sweet that you indulge your mother and take a bit of sacrifice of your own schedule and habits. Just get back to your own thing and know that you will likely not regret it later on when she can no longer travel, etc.
  • 49Elle
    49Elle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Only three days till the holiday is over..so for both your sakes try and make the best of it.
    Drink more water.. bottled would probably be best.
    To be frank your Mother might be getting on your nerves with her negativity, but anyone would feel like they are being patronised if you constantly answer with "whatever you want to do Ma"
    Try to be a bit more positive and give her a choice of two options and its good to say what you would like to do too..parents of adult children sometimes feel they are just given lip service without their child being engaged in the discussion or activity, as well meaning as you are and want her to enjoy herself, if she feels she is being tolerated rather than appreciated all your efforts will be for nothing.
    You will get over this hurdle and get back to normal.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    They say stress is contagious. (Ref below). So you aren't weak for struggling while you are away with Madame Downer. And there is every reason to believe that once you get back to your normal life that you will immediately start chipping away at any weight gained. You're in a stressful situation, the last thing you need is to be down on yourself.

http://time.com/84080/stress-contagious/
  • Titoki1
    Titoki1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. You've already set the stage for brilliant success with your amazing home habits. Parents are absolutely maddening; that's why we leave home! Worst of all, we can't change them! This blip won't make much difference at all in the long term.
  • Titoki1
    Titoki1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Also, you're obviously an intelligent, articulate, and extremely caring person - there's a lot more to you than just the number on the scale (but still, I feel ya :)
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    First of all, I applaud you for making the decision to go on this vacation with your mother. Despite her negativity, you made the hopeful decision to travel with her and try to share what I'm sure you thought would be a good experience with her. That was an act of love you should be proud of no matter what the consequences have been. You probably even thought the trip would help take her out of her negativity and possibly improve your relationship with her so the fact that it hasn't accomplished that at all is understandably causing you grief. I think it's okay to feel the sadness. You don't need to talk yourself out of it.

Can you and your mom handle having a direct conversation about this? Either now before the trip ends or once you get home? You had hoped she would have fun with you by going on the trip. Perhaps you can start by focusing on that and then point out she didn't seem to enjoy it that much and ask her if she would prefer to spend time with you closer to home or in some other way? If nothing else comes out of it, you will have some clarity about what to do going forward.

With regard to food, I agree with others that as long as you get right back to your healthy habits when you return, you will be in good shape. Do not despair about that. A few bad days will not undo months of being on track. I do find it helpful in these circumstances is to remember all the things I dislike about eating in an uncontrolled manner-feeling bloated and stuffed, experiencing digestive issues, never feeling true hunger or satiety, and just the general feeling of grossness! It helps make the first few days of reducing calories again feel like a welcome relief instead of a penance.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    So sorry that you and your mom are not enjoying the vacation (as you hoped).

I remember the first time I visited a country outside the USA, I had experienced some culture shock, jet lag, and just fumbling around with the language, the money exchange, negotiating my way around the cities...etc. I was 30 years old, and was visiting Italy with my older sister and my 5 year old niece. It is a beautiful country....but missed my country like crazy, esp. wanting a normal breakfast of eggs and bacon....(it seemed that breakfast over there was recycled rolls and strong coffee) and my language. Normally positive, I am sure that I groused a little bit when on vacation. Maybe being already somewhat negative, the environment really set her off.

You will be surprised probably...she will tell her friends that she had a wonderful time and that it will be a vacation that she will always remember.

You will do fine when you get back....there is always a weight gain for most of us after vacations. Most of it water weight that will come off in a couple of weeks.

Be strong and enjoy your time with your mother.

• Pierre_is_a_cat
    Pierre_is_a_cat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    You will be surprised probably...she will tell her friends that she had a wonderful time and that it will be a vacation that she will always remember.

There's wisdom in this -- you know, we Facetimed back home to my sister and niece, and mum went on and on about how amazed she was by the buildings, how funny it was to try to cross the road, and talked about some of the landmarks we'd visited. Perhaps she just needs processing time?