What to do when you have a binge attack?

Options
Hei everybody

As I started over today and cutting back from eating everything to only 1'200cals is hard, I searched for things to do when I have a binge/ hunger attack.

So that's my list so far:
- Drink two glasses of water and wait 20 minutes (maybe you were just thirsty)
- Distract yourself by starting something else like going for a walk, read a book,...
- Drink a bouillon or other instant soup
- Log the food before you eat it (maybe the amount of calories shocks you enough)
- If you can not say no, just measure a small amount with your food scale and pack the rest away, only eat the measured amount!

Do you have any other advice?
I and I'm sure the community would appreciate them :smiley:

And if you look for an accountability buddy, add me!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If you truly struggle with binging, I highly recommend using a small deficit rather than aiming high. I'm talking one half pound per week. I would not recommend 1200 unless you are small, older, and/or inactive to begin with.

Exactly! How tall are you, @olkr, and how much do you weigh? How old are you, and how active?

I'm 5'9, 179 pounds, 41 years old, and I'm losing slowly and steadily on 1960 calories per day. I would completely freak out and binge after about a week if I were aiming for 1200 calories per day.
  • olkr
    olkr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you truly struggle with binging, I highly recommend using a small deficit rather than aiming high. I'm talking one half pound per week. I would not recommend 1200 unless you are small, older, and/or inactive to begin with.

Exactly! How tall are you, @olkr, and how much do you weigh? How old are you, and how active?

I'm 5'9, 179 pounds, 41 years old, and I'm losing slowly and steadily on 1960 calories per day. I would completely freak out and binge after about a week if I were aiming for 1200 calories per day.

I'm 24, 175cm (5.7 feet) and weigh 83kg (182 US pounds). Maybe I will try to higher to 1'600cals...
    I have a basal metabolic rate (if that's the right word in English) of 1'600 cals. And I try to do moderate cardio up to three times a week and moderate strength training twice a week.

Thanks for all your advices!
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    My tips would be to stay busy and try to not let your self get too hungry .. I find I can control what I'm eating better if I'm not real hungry when it's time to eat

Good luck
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    olkr wrote: »

I'm 24, 175cm (5.7 feet) and weigh 83kg (182 US pounds). Maybe I will try to higher to 1'600cals...
    I have a basal metabolic rate (if that's the right word in English) of 1'600 cals. And I try to do moderate cardio up to three times a week and moderate strength training twice a week.

I'm 22, 170 cm, and I weigh just a little more than you. I eat 1650 calories to lose a little over half a kilo a week. You definitely don't need to eat 1200 at that height/weight/age combo! :)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I found that it's best to run a moderate deficit. My first 6 months I had about a 600-calorie daily deficit, so I was eating around 1600 net calories (45 years, male, 5'10", starting at 215 lb.). After that I eased off. It took me 2 years total to lose 65 pounds, but I've kept most of that off for 2 years now.

I did find it was helpful to drink water and plunge into a project if I felt hungry between meals. If that didn't work, a couple baby dill pickles usually did the trick.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Hei everybody

As I started over today and cutting back from eating everything to only 1'200cals is hard, I searched for things to do when I have a binge/ hunger attack.

So that's my list so far:
    - Drink two glasses of water and wait 20 minutes (maybe you were just thirsty)
    - Distract yourself by starting something else like going for a walk, read a book,...
    - Drink a bouillon or other instant soup
    - Log the food before you eat it (maybe the amount of calories shocks you enough)
    - If you can not say no, just measure a small amount with your food scale and pack the rest away, only eat the measured amount!

Do you have any other advice?
    I and I'm sure the community would appreciate them :smiley:

And if you look for an accountability buddy, add me!

Coconut oil does wonders for me. 50-cals (1/2 tsp) staves hunger for about an hour after I'm really hungry. Also it does not set off a binge like would happen if I ate something sweet. If I eat something sweet or even protein, it is all over and I'm eating tell I'm done eating!

Another thing that might help is eating in a smaller time window. If you ate all that 1200 cals in a few hour window, you would get full during that window. Also, if you fasted tell that window, the fasting acts as an appetite suppressant and you won't get as hungry as you would by eating a little bit and waking your stomach up and then trying not to eat anymore. That has been my experience. Intermittent Fasting works for me due to those things (don't get hungry while fasting and I get full everyday so it isn't such a mental burden dieting).
  • imgritz
    imgritz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I should try this task. I usually log after I eat and think I complain later.
  • shaunte92
    shaunte92 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    To be honest, if I get to the point where I'm about to have a "binge attack" its too late for me to do anything about it- the binge will happen. For me its best to focus on not getting anywhere close to that mind frame. So if I'm craving something or find myself thinking about it a lot- I'll typically let myself have it ( 200 calories towards cookies or chips every blue moon is way better than a 4000 calorie binge). I also drink gum and tea in between meals if I feel like eating when I'm not hungry. But most importantly, like everyone else is saying, don't restrict too much! If you give yourself enough calories to eat everyday, you'll be able to fit a lot of things into your diet without feeling deprived. Eating just 1200 calories (if you don't have too) means you have to be very restrictive about pretty much everything lol- setting yourself up for a binge.

Good luck :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

This sounds like a good idea, based on your stats.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options

I'm your height, 26 years older, and weigh a little more than you.

I agree with 1600 calories...before exercise. What percentage of your exercise calories do you eat back?

MFP uses the NEAT method, and as such the system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back.

My FitBit One is far less generous with calories than the MFP database and I comfortably eat 100% of the calories I earn from it back.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    I eat ad libitum every night after about a 18-21 hour fast and getting full everyday helps a lot. I try to get adequate protein and I think that helps the next day also.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    shaunte92 wrote: »
    To be honest, if I get to the point where I'm about to have a "binge attack" its too late for me to do anything about it- the binge will happen. For me its best to focus on not getting anywhere close to that mind frame. So if I'm craving something or find myself thinking about it a lot- I'll typically let myself have it ( 200 calories towards cookies or chips every blue moon is way better than a 4000 calorie binge). I also drink gum and tea in between meals if I feel like eating when I'm not hungry. But most importantly, like everyone else is saying, don't restrict too much! If you give yourself enough calories to eat everyday, you'll be able to fit a lot of things into your diet without feeling deprived. Eating just 1200 calories (if you don't have too) means you have to be very restrictive about pretty much everything lol- setting yourself up for a binge.

Good luck :)

I'm the same most of the time. Prevention is key for me. That means eating enough calories, getting daily exercise and enough sleep, keeping trigger foods out of sight and if possible, out of the house, and making an effort to avoid or at least prepare for hugely stressful situations.
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    If I feel overwhelmed by the content of the cupboard and feel like eating it all at once, I leave the kitchen. Or the flat.

Going for a walk in the fresh air helps me clear my mind and return with a more peaceful mind
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I stopped buying foods for the house on I tend to overeat and only get single servings if I want it. Like lunch size chips or small pack of Hershey's.