Fifty before 50!

Options
jps2222
jps2222 Posts: 61 Member
I started my MFP journey almost a year ago (today my app told me I've logged in for 350 days in a row), thinking I wanted to drop 20-30 pounds and just get into better shape. So here I am, a year later, having turned 50 earlier this week and 50 pounds lighter than I was when I started (I'm 5'5", and dropped from 175 to 125). I'm stronger than I've ever been in my life, my weight is what it was in high school (though I'll admit it's a little redistributed!), and all of my aches and pains have gone away. I'm loving how I feel, and that I get cranky now if I haven't gotten exercise. There's nothing I won't eat, but it's "all things in moderation." Feeling very successful and very proud! :-)

Replies

• ChristineE63
    ChristineE63 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Congratulations nice to see you didn't buy into the rubbish that it is ok to gain weight as we age!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I hear you! Great going!!
  • SheilaCali
    SheilaCali Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Fantastic and a happy 50 to you! I hit 50 next year, and I'm determined to be healthier during my "second half".
  • 7ElizabethAnn7
    7ElizabethAnn7 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you and...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :-)
  • jps2222
    Options
    Fantastic and a happy 50 to you! I hit 50 next year, and I'm determined to be healthier during my "second half".

Thanks! Your determination will get you there!
  • jps2222
    Options
    Congrats to you and...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :-)

Thank you! :-)
  • kamsulmd
    kamsulmd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I have 18 months to 50 and a goal to drop 50. Not sure that was possible till hearing your story. Now I know it is.
  • catzpyjamaz
    catzpyjamaz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have at least 19 kilos (44 pounds) to lose in eleven months......when I turn 50! I lost 11 kilos in the last 3 months so it's doable. That's my goal for my 50th then I can concentrate on losing the last 20 kilos after that.
  • Cocochick
    Cocochick Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congrats, JPS! I turn 50 in four days and still have about fifteen pounds to go to get to my goal, but I only got serious about a month ago. By 50 1/2 I hope to be fit and healthy like you! :smile:
  • 40ishloser12
    40ishloser12 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 n turn 50 in 2017. Starting at 177 would like to weigh 150 r less. My goal is to stop eating out and workout at least 3 x a week. Hopefully if I stick to this plan I'll be like OP by July. By the way congrats on your success.
  • NoMeatAthlete66
    NoMeatAthlete66 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Look at all these people turning 50 and being in shape. This is great! I turned 50 in Novembre and feel great. I workout daily at 5am and after work. I've done a few spartan races in the last two years. Not sure what I will do in 2017. Well done everyone! Bravo!
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    not 50 yet, a year and a half though. 35 pounds down and 15 to go. Congrats on your success.
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Down 35lb, want to lose another 7lb; to be a healthy weight for my age and height. Hard work, as disability hinders exercise. Logging every day; accurately, no matter what, really helps to keep me focused. Nearly 9 months, back on track and just had a great Christmas and lost Weight! Will turn 50 in October 2017, my target date.
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Also sharing with others, in similar situations, helps with motivation!
  • dorisj717
    dorisj717 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! I turn 50 in February and I'm down almost 50lbs. I feel so good. I want to lose 50 more and then reevaluate after that.
  • Butterball4679
    Butterball4679 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I will be turning 50 in about 27 days and have decided I need to take charge of my life. I have lost about 30 pounds before but then just fall off the wagon and regain it back before I reach my goal. I am 5'3" and 205 pounds. 2016 has not been good as far as health wise- had a partial tear to my left achilles tendon(in boot 6 weeks), then tore ligament on right foot was in boot 6 weeks and then surgery....still issues so had a second surgery, finally on the mends I hope....
    Your post has helped motivate me, I need to lose at least 60 pounds just to get at the top end of my weight category. I am looking forward to being 50 and fabulous in 2017
  • jps2222
    Options
    kamsulmd wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing. I have 18 months to 50 and a goal to drop 50. Not sure that was possible till hearing your story. Now I know it is.

It's definitely possible! You can do this!
  • jps2222
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have at least 19 kilos (44 pounds) to lose in eleven months......when I turn 50! I lost 11 kilos in the last 3 months so it's doable. That's my goal for my 50th then I can concentrate on losing the last 20 kilos after that.

Good luck! You can totally do this!
  • jps2222
    Options
    Cocochick wrote: »
    Congrats, JPS! I turn 50 in four days and still have about fifteen pounds to go to get to my goal, but I only got serious about a month ago. By 50 1/2 I hope to be fit and healthy like you! :smile:

Happy birthday! Keep up the good work!
  • jps2222
    Options
    I'm 5'6 n turn 50 in 2017. Starting at 177 would like to weigh 150 r less. My goal is to stop eating out and workout at least 3 x a week. Hopefully if I stick to this plan I'll be like OP by July. By the way congrats on your success.

Thanks! Sounds like you've set very reasonable goals. That's been key for me - I'm not going to make it to the gym every day, but my goal is at least 3 times a week, and do other active things on other days, and that feels sustainable to me. Good luck! Looking forward to reading your success story next summer!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!