Thoughts on "preservatives," etc.?

Options
2»

Replies

• sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    333kate wrote: »
    Another good hint: if you buy a food item (say cheese), you assume it is "only" cheese, right?? If that's the case, then why do so many of these packaged food items contain a HUGE laundry list of "additional items" (aside from the cheese)?? Answer: because, yes, it may contain some cheese but the rest is "filler" to make it resemble cheese (artificial color, truckload of sodium, "fillers" to fluff it up and prevent cakeing etc.). Better to just buy a pricier block of fresh cheese and slice it yourself.
    Computer-Guy-Facepalm.jpg

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »
    The thing about preserved foods (ie processed) foods is that a lot of them have a lot of extra sugars stored in them. (See Dr. Agaston) Those extra sugars if not used are what get stored as fat.

Side note, about 20 or so years ago it was noted that with the number of preservatives we consume we *supposedly* are taking longer to decompose. But then... You're dead so do you really care? Yeah me neither.
    Not true unless you're in a calorie surplus. Any food causes fat gain if one eats above maintenance, and not one food will cause fat gain/storage in a calorie deficit.

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm one of an increasing number who have problems with chemicals not only the ones which are added to our foods but environmental ones, for example, laundry residues. It makes life very very difficult. I would really like the international governments to agree and test, with the intent of removing all chemicals etc, which were permitted for general use back in the 1930/40' and later without the benefit of testing for toxicity, where they are proven to be toxic.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple, think eating as close to the farm as possible. You can't completely eliminate preservatives, but you can minimize by reading labels and just being sensible. I didn't read the artilce, nor will I, I am sick of scare tatics and agendas. Just eat simple, healthy, as much as you can not from a box, read the ingredients, use common sense.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Another good hint: if you buy a food item (say cheese), you assume it is "only" cheese, right?? ...

If that's the case, then why do so many of these packaged food items contain a HUGE laundry list of "additional items" (aside from the cheese)??

My cheese doesn't. (It doesn't have a list of ingredients at all.)

However, for those who do buy the kind of cheese that has a list of ingredients, it's not all that complicated a list, IME:

hvzioireyjip.jpg

As for "only cheese" -- read up on how cheese is made, perhaps. Among other things, there's a reason many vegetarians wouldn't consider many cheeses vegetarian. And cheese is a good example of a processed (and preserved) food without sugar added.
    Answer: because, yes, it may contain some cheese but the rest is "filler" to make it resemble cheese (artificial color, truckload of sodium, "fillers" to fluff it up and prevent cakeing etc.). Better to just buy a pricier block of fresh cheese and slice it yourself.

Why are you making weird assumptions about the products we buy or what is in them?

I read labels and if I don't know what something is I normally check it out. There are plenty of things I looked up (although not in my cheeses, although I did look up rennet back in the day) that you might consider too long and complicated to eat, that I have not found to be problematic.

It's like claiming that sodium bicarbonate must be scary.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    A banana...

19cthsq3h02qrpng.png

Scary stuff...

The banana has palmitic acid! That's palmitate!!!!!!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Another good hint: if you buy a food item (say cheese), you assume it is "only" cheese, right?? ...

If that's the case, then why do so many of these packaged food items contain a HUGE laundry list of "additional items" (aside from the cheese)??

My cheese doesn't. (It doesn't have a list of ingredients at all.)

However, for those who do buy the kind of cheese that has a list of ingredients, it's not all that complicated a list, IME:

hvzioireyjip.jpg

As for "only cheese" -- read up on how cheese is made, perhaps. Among other things, there's a reason many vegetarians wouldn't consider many cheeses vegetarian. And cheese is a good example of a processed (and preserved) food without sugar added.
    Answer: because, yes, it may contain some cheese but the rest is "filler" to make it resemble cheese (artificial color, truckload of sodium, "fillers" to fluff it up and prevent cakeing etc.). Better to just buy a pricier block of fresh cheese and slice it yourself.

Why are you making weird assumptions about the products we buy or what is in them?

I read labels and if I don't know what something is I normally check it out. There are plenty of things I looked up (although not in my cheeses, although I did look up rennet back in the day) that you might consider too long and complicated to eat, that I have not found to be problematic.

It's like claiming that sodium bicarbonate must be scary.

Sodium bicarb is only scary if it's in KFC.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Sodium bicarbonate and dihydrogen monoxide is also super scary
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    Dihydrogen monoxide is really scary because either too much or too little can kill you!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I feel like I'll out live everyone because of all the preservatives I eat. :)

Oh reeeaallllyyyy....

image.png

I don't know. I'm pretty damned old! :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'll out live everyone because of all the preservatives I eat. :)

Oh reeeaallllyyyy....

image.png

I don't know. I'm pretty damned old! :)

Ditto. :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I'm preserved like a old fossil should be.

Easy peasy.