Good goal for a 5'8"woman?

Options
I've got a small frame.

I keep thinking perhaps I should be 125. But, I'm a 32 year old mother.. so maybe that goal isn't realistic. I'm doing something wrong because I am ALWAYS starving.

Replies

• NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5' 7" mom of 5 and weigh 126. Why do you think your goal is unrealistic? You can achieve anything you want, if you're willing to work hard for it. Keep the faith!

Focus on what you want your body to look like verses a number. Just because you hit 125 or 135 or whatever the 'number' doesn't mean you will be happy with how your body looks.

I knew I wanted my body to "look" a certain way and re-evaluated my number goals accordingly as I worked to transform the looks of my body.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 5' 8.75" (LOL) and 52 (age does have a bit to do with things...

I also have a small frame and so my goal is 130.

But it really is a very personal thing even with similar frame sizes. I have long thin muscles, you mayhave shorter thicker ones.....so experiment a little and see what feels comfortable AND gives the energy you need for those kiddos!

Best of Luck!
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think the size of your frame has a LOT more to do with it than your height, so good call on including that in your post. I'm 5'5" and I am pretty sure I shouldn't be less than 130 just because I have shoulders, long legs, and a fair bit of natural muscle tone--no hips, but still, a pretty substantial frame. It's not that I wouldn't love to be 120, but I just don't consider it achievable for my body, so therefore it's probably not advisable. It's all about knowing your body.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I would say 130-135. But go by bf% maybe.. We all love the slender look, but the wasting away one isn't attractive.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8.75". My goal is 145 but I'm med-large framed.
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 (but not a mother, lol). And I'm not too small either, but my goal number is 130. But again, it's just a number. Lately, I'm happy with how my body looks, and I'm 20 pounds away from 130. I think that as you go further into your journey, you won't really care about the number but more about getting those sleek muscles and building up your strength and all that. Basically, your mentality will change. From that point on, your body and that number are just along for the ride.

Also, anything is realistic if you work for it. Don't aim lower b/c you think it's unrealistic or you can't do it or whatever, b/c I bet you can do it!
  • wadesha
    wadesha Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 5' 8.75" (LOL) and 52 (age does have a bit to do with things...

I also have a small frame and so my goal is 130.

But it really is a very personal thing even with similar frame sizes. I have long thin muscles, you mayhave shorter thicker ones.....so experiment a little and see what feels comfortable AND gives the energy you need for those kiddos!

Best of Luck!

lol me 2 i usually just tell people i'm 5'9 my goal is same also
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm somewhere between 5-8 1/2 and 5-9 depending on who measures me. I was up to almost 180 at the time I started this several years ago, and I started with a goal of 150. However, when I hit 150 I was not happy with how I looked and felt, so I lowered the goal to 140. I actually got down to about 138, at which time everyone (not only my mom LOL) was telling me I was too skinny. (I also have a small frame and am not very muscular either- never have been much of an athlete!!) Anyway, I am happy with my current weight of 143 but still working on proportion. My current goal is to maintain my weight but drop my body fat per cent to 25% (it is currently at 29%, down from 34% when I weighed about 155 and started a real exercise program). Once I hit that goal I will re-evaluate. I'm 49, so it's a slow process!!

Keep at it and re-evaluate as you go along, depending on how you feel, how you look, how your clothes fit etc.
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    bump! Mine is 143 but I am loving 150!!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5'7'' w/ a medium build, I lost weight once before down to 150 and at that point, I was a lot happier w my body than I thought I would be with one exception. My thighs my STUPID cellulite thunder THIGHS OMG my grandma told me it's her Italian in me I dunno but I do have HER thighs and no matter how skinny I get they are generally 2 sizes bigger than my pants jean size...makes it really hard to fit me...So I have my MFP goal weight as like 140 or 145 (i forget) but I know there will still be work to do once I get there, but it will be of a different nature...more to do w/ the muscles in my thighs and actuall toning them WHILE somehow REDUCING bulk (I don't want them just as big but muscular...EW)

I guess my point is...the others are right, get to a reasonable healthy weight and reevaluate...don't be devistated by the number once you get into that 'normal' to 'thin' range.
  • thegymbunny
    thegymbunny Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I may just be at my natural weight. I work out quite often, and usually don't eat terribly. Most say I'm one of the most fit people they know.

Part of my problem is that about a year and a half ago I weigh what I do now(133) and I was perfectly happy. Then went through a divorce and lots of other crazy life change.
    The stress caused me to lose 15lbs.

So I assumed I'd just be 120 forever(not even a healthy weight for me) and bought a bunch of clothes. Now those clothes don't fit perfect because I have gained weight as my life has leveled out, and I can eat now.

I've always had pretty major body image issues and I'm just over the edge right now. I'm in between wanting to be the weight I am because I realize I am healthy and still slender....
    To wanting to fit in a size zero.
    To having no clue what I want, I just don't want to be starving all of the time.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    My best advice: Watch your body. See how it looks as you lose weight, and how you like it. Then reassess.

I am 5'9" exactly with a small frame but C cup boobs (down from DD after weight loss) and a big butt (heriditary!) I am 147 now and my goal is 142 -- no lower, because I know my thighs and waist (places where I lost weight immediately and continually) will look too thin below 140.

Edit: I just read your post above this one, and I don't think my advice / blathering about myself will be of much help to you. It sounds like 133 is a perfect weight for you. Can any of those clothes be taken out by a seamstress?
  • thegymbunny
    thegymbunny Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    It's just a couple pairs of jeans and a couple dresses.

Of course the main problem with one of the dresses is it is a size 4 petite. I am small framed but pretty curvy. So I am NOT petite by any means.

I don't want to be insane thin, and I don't want to be bulky. I just want to be happy with what I look like.

Why does this always seem to be a stumbling block for women?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    There you go. It's not like it's an entire wardrobe, just a few things. Replace them. Stay where you are healthy and happy. Being depressed IS a good "diet" but it's not healthy.

Besides, being too skinny makes us look old. ;)
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 3/4" small fram with wide hips carry the weight on my legs. I was wanting to get to 135lb but i want a lot more muscle mass then i have ever had, so it might appear that i look like i weight 125lb.
  • takemeaway10
    Options
    Find your body fat percentage.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    A lot of what your goal wt should be is....how do you look??? how do you feel???? what is your body fat %..

I have a few friends who are my height and we weigh different. I have a large frame and I have bulky muscles..think thunder thighs..so i am going to weigh more than my friend who is tiny frames with long lean muscles.

weight should be very personal......find your own place...
  • hng2101
    hng2101 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Mine is 139 (but that's only to see the "3"). I'm med-large framed and have lots of muscle so I'm actually quite happy where I am (oscillating bt 145-147). My doctor told me these last few pounds I want to lose are "vanity pounds" so I'm while I'm not stressing too much about it, I do work really hard to stay fit and eat right.

Long story short I think once you get to a healthy BMI (or if you already are) just get to where you're happy with how you feel/look.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8.5" or so first thing in morning when I'm not so slouched. I'd guess I'm about a medium build(based on the fingers around wrist measurement they JUST meet) but have wide hips for sure. Plus all the women in my family tend to carry weight more like a man. We are "muscular" in a sense that we will weigh more than people of same height and "size". Strange!

Anyway I have mine set at 150. I'd love to see 145 but not really going to fine tune things till I'm 160-170. I won't know how it will go. I suspect I'll be taller too because I know this weight is pulling me down some.