What have you done to make this a lifestyle and not just a diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• isabellapanzica9387
    Options
    I learned to eat in moderation. Also I started to enjoy diffrent things I avoided before. For example I like the gym, long walks, brussle sprots, asparagus, rosted root vegstables, coconut and cheeros. Also I always count calories and just got a food scale that I love.
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    106 pounds down so far and the biggest thing for me was figuring out why I was eating the way I was. Why I was relying on food as a coping mechanism. Once I started to address the problems underneath then it became easier to say no to overeating and start making small changes. Now it's largely a matter of staying the course and waiting for the weight to fall off. My life is much better now. My health is much better now. I still avoid some trigger foods but I feel I will eventually be able to incorporate them back into my life as my relationship with food continues to get healthier.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I integrated exercise that I enjoy into my life such as walking on breaks at lunch, hiking swimming, just started karate...fun stuff.
  • didknot226
    didknot226 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I used to hate weighing myself. Now look forward to it every Saturday because I am doing intermittent fasting plus calories count that worked for my body.
  • keezo1
    keezo1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I love to cook and i eat mostly homemade and i drink mostly water so for years i wondered why i kept gaining weight when i rarely ate "bad" foods. When i decided to lose weight i did a lot of research and realised it was not what i was eating but how much. I had no idea what a "serving" was. Once i figured it out the weightloss just started to happen naturally.
  • conor937
    conor937 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    So nice to read all the positive changes people have made

For me the most effective lifestyle change was tracking down delicious low cal recipes for dinners that i can batch cook and freeze in portions. Makes getting a healthy dinner so easy as i hate cooking a full on meal every night which used to result in eating nothing but junk. Now i do all the cooking in one go and day to day just stick a portion in the microwave and boil up some rice or pasta.
  • irishhealthy
    irishhealthy Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've a long way to go but what keeps me going is the goal of better health. Ive suffered badly as a result of being obese, inactive and making poor choices in life. Ive gone past the desire to look good and what really keeps me going now, is the thought that everything I put in my body, feeds every cell. So I'm logging and making healthy choices. Im in a mindset that putting rubbish in my mouth, has given me too many issues. Its a learning curve but the results are coming in with healthy choices, within my food diary limits. The weight is now coming off and my health is slowly improving.
  • KpopGrad92
    KpopGrad92 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think with a lifestyle for me, I learned I cannot be in control of everything regarding my weight loss. Moving abroad really helped me with this. I can't control that most the restaurants here do not have calorie information, I can't control my boss having us work long hours and me not always knowing so I don't have something healthy. I can't make the people I travel around with have the some dietary guidelines for picking a place to eat. What I can do is make the best choices for me, plan for what I can, and enjoy my life in Korea regardless. I guess adaptability has been the key for me. I know this works because my first 4 months here I did not focus on weight loss and I maintained easily between 186-191 lbs. If you want it to last you have to adapt and if something goes wrong (binge eating, gain a few pounds, meal plan falls apart) you can bounce back and move on.
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    For me it has been the way I view food. Yes I still slip up n eat not the healthiest food but I am aware of that and aware that I am not eating for nutrition and just for fun and that it is not my everyday nutritious food. I guess I kind of inversed it if it makes sense ... the nutritious food is my everyday and the junk food is the "diet" that I allow myself to get on once in a while .
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    as i have gotten older, I came to the realization that I wasnt prepared to do something that I wasn't going to maintain for life. I also wasn't going to give up something for the same reason. Been there a few times already (lost close to 50 lbs - 3 times in my life)

Can I stop eating pizza, chips and bacon? NO...so why do it for a few weeks
    Can I run 10km three times a week forever? NO...so why kill myself for a few months, lose a pile of weight and then regain it all?

So I decided to make changes that I can live with, but stick with them, MFP offers flexibility in choosing what you want to eat, how often I want to exercise and I am super happy with the progress and my maintenance.
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have educated myself when it comes to healthy eating/exercise and everything in between and to be honest I don't think I will ever stop learning. These boards have played a huge role in expanding my limited knowledge resulting in countless "a-ha" moments for me, and has made me aware of why I have not been successful in weight loss and maintenance in the past - it has been a true eye-opener. The following quote resonates with me right now because its so appropriate in this regard - "education is power - being educated is powerful".
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    What I did was finally put my foot down and get sick of my "bigger size" pants getting a little snug. I am not going up another size! Plus, I want to wear the clothes I bought just last year which are a size down and just too small. So, I am logging my food again, and for the first time in over 2 years, exercising 3-4 times per week. It is a lifestyle and not a diet if you decide it is. It's being consistent about the little changes every day.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It may seem silly, but when I was obese I was concerned that any attempt at restricting calories would lead me into an ill-advised and unsupervised VLCD ending in anorexia. I didn't mention that to anyone at the time, but I also diligently followed my pappy's admonition "Never miss a free meal".

It takes less than 200 calories per day of surplus to gain 20 lb in a year.

The life change, not -style but simply life, is learning what a reasonable portion size does look like, and learning to be satisfied with it.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Taken everything slowly and not made huge drastic changes all at once. Allowed myself to have the odd day off and to eat the kinds of foods I like. This has made 'a diet' turn in to a healthy lifestyle, which is all about balance and taking care of myself!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    For me it took some self-evaluating . . . really thinking about why I ate the way I did and what I could do to better understand it. Also, educating myself about nutrition (nothing overboard, just general things that applied to me) and really fully understanding portion size. I took my time for the most part and if something was too much at the time I redirected my energy and would re-address it later.

I think it really has to be all about yourself, learning what works for you and listening to your body.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!