Indoor rowers?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,867 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    @CafeRacer808: I'll be interested to hear about how the Pete Plan works for you. I was thinking I might transition to it after the race. And I'm jealous that several of you have a C2 at home. Oh, the luxury!

@AnnPT77 : Is the team name on C2 "MFP Friends"? Virtual Team Challenge starts on Sunday!

I had a coaching session this morning (6 intervals that got progressively shorter and faster), and we've set my next 2k test for this coming Tuesday. I'm going to shoot for 2:10/500 at about 28spm. That'll be about five weeks before the race.

It had been about a month since I last saw the coach, and she said that she noticed a weight loss, which is funny because I'm down only about 2 pounds since she last saw me. I'd say she was just being nice, but my husband mentioned yesterday that my arms are much more defined. So maybe I'm doing a fat-to-muscle swap.

Yes, I think that's the team name. Check the Rowing (<== note link) group to be sure! (I'm not on the MFP team because I already had a virtual team pre-MFP. I'm thinking about switching to the MFP team, though, because my existing one isn't very active.)

I hope your next test goes great!

• robinrows
    robinrows Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    MFP Friends is the correct name,

ALL LEVELS ARE WELCOME. Set your own goal, set your mind to it, and row!

January 2015, 26 MFPers rowed a total of 4,632,368m, averaging 178,168m each!
    January 2016, 18 MFPers rowed a total of 2,700,458m, averaging 150,025m each!

How to join a team: http://log.concept2.com/team (Join "MFP Friends")
    Info on the Virtual Team Challenge: http://log.concept2.com/challenges/vtc

You will need to join the MFP team and then sign up for the virtual challenge. Also if you friend the team members we are fairly chatty, but just not that much on the forums. The C2 challenges are a great way of motivating yourself to do more metres than you would normally!

We will likely be close to the top of the standings in our team category. Several of us took part in the recent British Indoor Rowing champs and there was talk of the Crash B's.........
  • robinrows
    robinrows Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    just to add there is loads on drag etc on the concept 2 website. I aim for 140 drag factor (about setting 4 on my machine) but I am very heavy with ok(ish) upper body strength which means I'm probably doing too much with my arms. It's whatever feels/works best for you really.

And mid pack at an international comp would be a major achievement for most!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Thanks, folks! Ok, I've joined the virtual team. My name on that list is Tamara McLendon. Tomorrow's the day! I tend to go overboard in the challenges and increase meters too fast, so here's to self-restraint. :)

The drag factor stuff is interesting. I row at 105-110. The machine I use at the Y needs to be set at 8, but my coach's machine gets the same result at 3. I'm nervous that I'll forget to check it at the race and it'll be way off what I'm used to. Gotta put it on a Post-It.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Forgot to ask: Have you played around with any of the rowing-specific apps that are out there? I installed LiveRowing a few days ago but to date, I'm still using Endomondo and ErgData to track my erg sessions. I'm really intrigued by RowPro, but I'm not too keen on setting my laptop up next to my rower.

I use ErgData to get the data from the C2 to the C2 log. The log gives me as much analysis as I want at the moment.

AnnPT77, thanks for saying hi! We'll take a look at that existing group. I'm very much looking forward to getting OTW next year.

I was telling my son about the first prize hammers at the CRASH-Bs and said I had no expectation of winning one. But in the back of my head, "Maybe someday..." :)

Do you follow a training schedule in the off season or do you just move between the erg and other exercises as the mood strikes?
    In winter, I take 2 spin classes weekly, have been swimming once a week or so (don't love swimming, and am terrible at it, but rowers gotta swim)

Out of curiosity, who do rowers have to swim? It was suggested to me to take up rowing as a way to meet all the goals I have, but swimming is not my thing. Is there a complementary benefit?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Well 5000metres into this afternoons 10K session the water tank on my WaterRower sprung a leak. Looks like I'm best ordering a resealing kit.
  • __TMac__
    Options
    Forgot to ask: Have you played around with any of the rowing-specific apps that are out there? I installed LiveRowing a few days ago but to date, I'm still using Endomondo and ErgData to track my erg sessions. I'm really intrigued by RowPro, but I'm not too keen on setting my laptop up next to my rower.

I use ErgData to get the data from the C2 to the C2 log. The log gives me as much analysis as I want at the moment.

AnnPT77, thanks for saying hi! We'll take a look at that existing group. I'm very much looking forward to getting OTW next year.

I was telling my son about the first prize hammers at the CRASH-Bs and said I had no expectation of winning one. But in the back of my head, "Maybe someday..." :)

Do you follow a training schedule in the off season or do you just move between the erg and other exercises as the mood strikes?
    In winter, I take 2 spin classes weekly, have been swimming once a week or so (don't love swimming, and am terrible at it, but rowers gotta swim)

Out of curiosity, who do rowers have to swim? It was suggested to me to take up rowing as a way to meet all the goals I have, but swimming is not my thing. Is there a complementary benefit?

I had assumed it was to avoid drowning. :) But there are probably good fitness and injury prevention reasons for doing so as well.
    Well 5000metres into this afternoons 10K session the water tank on my WaterRower sprung a leak. Looks like I'm best ordering a resealing kit.

Ack! That stinks. How long have you had it, and is this first problem you've had?
  • AnnPT77
    Options

I'm an on-water rower. I only do indoor rowing a bit in the winter these days, mostly just my team's weekly Winter practices - knee problems made me cut back on actual training, so I row for fun not so much for competition. On-water rowing is much more fun than indoor to me, so I do that around 4 times/week in season. I row all kinds of boats (Eights, fours, quads, doubles, singles), but most often doubles or singles.

Racing singles are around 26 feet long, and around 12 inches wide at the water line. They look like this (as demonstrated by me, when I was a heavyweight rower).

sckxzra4kw4h.jpg

The old rower saying is "it's not if you flip, it's when you flip". We don't normally wear PFDs (Personal Flotation Devices, a.k.a. life jackets/life vests) because you're likely to get your thumbs or oar-handles hung up on them and flip even more often.

I don't love to swim, but I think drowning would be worse. The complementary benefit of swimming for rowers is "not dying as soon". ;) Most on-water rowing clubs or camps will require you to be able to swim as a condition of membership, and some will make you prove it (Standard for one camp I attended, that made me test, was 100 yards continuous swimming without touching or aids, plus maybe 5 or 10 minutes of treading water.)
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options

Yikes! You're the third person I've come across who's had to deal with a leaking WaterRower. I hope the resealing kit solves your problem.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Ack! That stinks. How long have you had it, and is this first problem you've had?

I've had it about 10 years now. Have had to replace the speed sensor, and I freshen the water in the tank every couple of years, that's about it.

I'm very happy with it, sits in my TV room, quite discrete and easy to use.
  • __TMac__
    Options

I've had it about 10 years now. Have had to replace the speed sensor, and I freshen the water in the tank every couple of years, that's about it.

They are beautiful machines. I've been curious about the durability of the various erg options, so thanks for the data point.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    Options
    Most on-water rowing clubs or camps will require you to be able to swim as a condition of membership, and some will make you prove it (Standard for one camp I attended, that made me test, was 100 yards continuous swimming without touching or aids, plus maybe 5 or 10 minutes of treading water.)

Yeah, that's why I never took up "real" rowing. Not a great swimmer and don't like the idea of needing to swim to save my life. ;)

• scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to row on the water, but could never seem to make it happen.

So I think I can do it, if I keep up the training. And this summer, I plan to sign up for the Learn To Row program on the water.

I was gonna say come out to Worcester this summer for the learn to row day on Quinsig. Donahue Rowing center in Shrewsbury is the ramp.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Most on-water rowing clubs or camps will require you to be able to swim as a condition of membership, and some will make you prove it (Standard for one camp I attended, that made me test, was 100 yards continuous swimming without touching or aids, plus maybe 5 or 10 minutes of treading water.)

Yeah, that's why I never took up "real" rowing. Not a great swimmer and don't like the idea of needing to swim to save my life. ;)

FWIW, in practice, I've only flipped once unintentionally, in many hundreds of hours of rowing. But that was a double, and it was April in Michigan, water probably below 50 degrees F . . . the kind of experience I refer to as "sub-recreational" ;). Otherwise, I've been lucky - and that's what it is, luck, not so much skill. My regular rowing double partner, for example, flipped singles so many times in her early seasons of rowing. So you never know.

(I'm not a good swimmer, either, and used to be much worse before taking adult learn-to-swim lessons at around age 48. However, even before lessons, I could swim on my back for long periods (although slowly), so I could pass the swim test. IMO, you're missing out big time by not trying on-water rowing. It's very, very fun, intellectually interesting, physically technically complex, and a good workout once you have some technique in place.)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    Options
    IMO, you're missing out big time by not trying on-water rowing. It's very, very fun, intellectually interesting, physically technically complex, and a good workout once you have some technique in place.)

Perhaps but, at 66, it's not something I'd care to do anymore because IMO it would require too much time and energy to engage in it, which is the same reason I gave up downhill skiing and motorcycling not too long ago.

It wasn't the inherent dangers in these "sports" that convinced me to give them up. It was just that I didn't want to devote the time necessary to fully engage in them anymore.

There are just other things I'd rather do w/my time and energy.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

They are beautiful machines. I've been curious about the durability of the various erg options, so thanks for the data point.

Well the Team GB Rowing team use them, so make of that what you will.

I've had a closer look in daylight, and can see where the glue has perished. It'll take me 2-3 hours to dismantle, clean it up and glue, then leave to cure until I reassemble, which will take me another hour or so. The alternative is spend about £150 sending it away to get repaired.

• CafeRacer808
    Options
    A quick update on my rowing progress. Prior to getting the rower, it had been at least 6-7 years since I'd done any sort of cardio. I was really out of shape. After just over a month of rowing 5 days/week, I've managed to take 40 seconds off my 500m split time (which seems pretty good, i think?). I'm still pretty dang slow, but the week-to-week improvement I'm seeing is really motivating. :)
  • __TMac__
    Options
    Nice! Are you doing mostly steady-state rows (where you feel like could keep going forever) or are you adding in intervals or sprinting? I'm interested in the approaches people take.
  • CafeRacer808
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Right now, I'm following the Pete Plan which incorporates SS, speed intervals and distance/endurance intervals. It feels like a pretty balanced approach to training and so far, there's enough variety each week to prevent boredom.
  • __TMac__
    Options
    Oh, that's right. You told me that already. So it's working as intended! :)