Beautiful Behaviors - End of year 2016

Options

Replies

• iris2811
    iris2811 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! Forgot that 'minor detail' a slow cooker may well be a good one to use as well?
  • jessiquoi
    jessiquoi Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    yes! and i have one of those, thanks for the reminder!
  • strawbery542
    strawbery542 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I worked so hard in the gym this week; it's time to treat myself. ...mani/pedi anyone?

Quick background: I am normally hard on myself when attempting to lose weight. As a result, this pressure has caused me to balloon to 275lbs. I have been working on changing my mindset, as well as removing negative things. The result has been nothing short of amazing hence the statement at the top. Life already comes with challenges; no need to add to it. Great group!
  • melhaaa12
    melhaaa12 Posts: 14 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    This sounds like a wonderful group of people that I would love to chit chat with. I also have weight issues. My weight has always been a battle my whole life. I hate the word "diet". I am 48 years old, and over the past 3-4 years I have had some health issues and just within the last year went through a divorce. But I am a positive person at heart, nothing will keep my down. I love life... Yes I am 50 pounds heavier then I want to be. Yesterday I started using Fitnesspal.com., I really believe this will help me down the right path
  • paigern82
    paigern82 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Iris - glad you are feeling better.

Jess - thanks for the warm welcome! I can highly recommend grandkids - it is absolutely the BEST. Hang in there and give yourself a bit of a break on the eating thing - moving AND construction is a lot. Just remember that a salad thrown in every once in a while will help you deal with the stress =o).

My focus today is water intake - that is a weakness of mine and something I need to work on.

My newest thing to try is ginger tea - has anyone tried it? Ginger is supposed to have a number of health benefits...

Paige
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    Paige, I love ginger tea. I love ginger ANYTHING! :) Ginger tea, like peppermint, is very good for an upset tummy, and excellent after dinner.
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Jess! So sorry you are having a rough time. I commend your positive attitude and strength. You're working with what you have... and that is something I am working with on myself! Soon you can look back and pat yourself on the back for getting through this. As well as be able to relax and focus more on what has been put on the back burner for the time being. And that is quite alright!!!!

@strawbery542, a mani/pedi is perfect "me time" and a great treat! Great job on your hard work. I know the pressure all to well. You are doing a great job!! Welcome! Glad you're joining us!

@melhaaa12, welcome!! You are stronger than you think, especially with the hard struggles. You have walked into the right support system (personal and weight-wise). My friend always tells me to "use my feelings" and sometimes I make the wrong choices when I use them. This has helped me to make better choices. So I hope you will learn to use your feelings too!!!
  • melhaaa12
    melhaaa12 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have never had ginger tea. Is the ginger strong ?
    Melody
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    I guess the strength depends on how much you steep it.
  • paigern82
    Options
    true - steeping time and the amount of ginger used. I found some good recipes on pinterest. Some sweeten with honey - I'll probably use stevia. Most use lemon and cinnamon along with the ginger - I think orange, cinnamon, and ginger sound good. I'm going to the grocery store tomorrow to buy ingredients and will let you all know !!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    jessiquoi wrote: »
    I think it would work, Iris, but I have nowhere to cook them right now. i hope this weekend to set up my microwave and george foreman grill, which will help. Baby steps! I'm managing to stay cheery through it all, thanks! <3

Do you have a Coleman (camping) stove? I'd go bananas with just take out. If it's cold enough outside (only needs to be 40F), can you use a cooler for some things? You might need to eat like a college student for a bit, but there are healthy options if you have the time to get creative. Working full time might preclude that though... In any case, get up each day and tell yourself that you're going to do your best THAT DAY. Then tell yourself this: "Make one good decision. Then make another." I use that so many times a day. I can't think about every food, exercise or anything-else-healthy-decision all day long. One at a time.

I love your attitude. I love that you have decided to love yourself THROUGH the process, not as a result. Your own self-love is not conditional upon a number on the scale. You're worthy of the most love of all, right NOW. Kudos to you for knowing that and living it. (And for what it's worth, even a 2 year old profile pic still doesn't fit your age!!!) :heart:
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    Good morning, everyone! It's New Year's Eve!

Thank you, @girlwithcurls2 for the compliment. I used to have a camping stove, but no more. At the moment, I am well equiped, I think, with the crockpot, the George Foreman grill, and the microwave. (Um, I just have to find them all, I didn't do a fabulous job packing this time.) That's one of my goals for the weekend... set up our "camping" kitchen.

Paige, your tea recipe sounds delicious! Are you blending this yourself?

Welcome, @strawbery542 and @melhaaa12, to a lovely group of positive and honest people.

I think being honest with yourself is such an important behavior in weight loss. It doesn't help your efforts when you selectively become blind to the nibbles and bites taken through the day, or under or over estimate something. I think part of loving yourself is trusting yourself, and trust requires honesty.

Are you 100% honest with yourself when you track your food and exercise?

Today is my fiance's birthday, so we will celebrate that tonight instead of NYE, and go to bed like old people way before the ball drops. :) What are your plans for the evening?

Have a beautiful day,
    jess
  • aleahurst
    aleahurst Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful idea for a thread!

I'm Lea. I retired from my job a little earlier than retirement age, and have spent several months just concentrating on calming down.

My life story is full of trauma and abuse. But not now. This is my time to get spiritually, mentally, and physically healthy.

1. I want to drink adequate water, at least 8 cups, each day
    2. I want to spend time in prayer for friends and family and myself at least 10 minutes every two days
    3. I want to breathe deep and visualize healing at least every two days
    4. I want to make getting sound sleep a priority every night
    5. I want nutrient dense foods every day
    6. I want exercise that is enjoyable
    7. I want friends of any age or background who share a deep desire for a beautiful attitude every morning.

• Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    My name is Shana. I live in a suburb of Denver, where we get over 300 days of sunshine per year, and I love it here! I'm married to the BEST man in the world (coming up on 12y) and I have 3 kids from a previous marriage who are now 25, 23 and 18. Their childhood went so quickly it is stunning, but it's fun to have young adults (sometimes!).

My middle child and oldest daughter (Rachel) has some significant medical issues related to her back. This has been the most stressful year of my life, to be honest. She is as sweet as sugar, but she is also very dependent on me and it is draining. Caring for myself in those moments means that sometimes I have to tell her that my phone is off, and I will talk to her tomorrow (she has a very capable father to help her as well :) ).

Exercise is also a very big part of my self-care. It makes me feel happier when I'm done, and more confident in my strength each day.
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    Hi, Lea, I love your manifesto! Welcome. I love the idea of a regular meditative practice. I'm going to think about adding that on myself. Thanks for the idea!
  • paigern82
    Options
    jessiquoi wrote: »
    In any case, get up each day and tell yourself that you're going to do your best THAT DAY. Then tell yourself this: "Make one good decision. Then make another." I use that so many times a day. I can't think about every food, exercise or anything-else-healthy-decision all day long. One at a time.

Love this idea - sometimes thinking about all the changes...all the meals...all the decisions....can be overwhelming! I like the idea of making one at a time!

Jess - I'm going to try blending it myself - you simmer it in a small pot on the stovetop with all the ingrediants - apparently - it makes your house smell yummy, too! And Happy Birthday to your fiance! Mine is tomorrow - yes, I was a New Year's Eve baby - had my picture in the paper and everything.

Hey, Lea. Congrats on your retirement! Time for you to live your best life and surround yourself only by those who love you and lift you up - all the others can be pushed off of your path!

I am down to 218.6 from 220 in the first week which is a little more that my target of one lb a week - giving myself 52 weeks to lose 52 lbs.

I have successfully tracked everything all week and successfully kept my carbs under 35% and stayed under 1800 calories per day.

Next week - work on incorporating movement! Walking, dancing, Tai Chi, resistance, anything!! Wish me luck!

Paige
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    good for you, Paige, that's excellent! i love focusing on one behavior at a time. it never overwhelms me, and i feel like it's setting myself up for success.
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    hi, Shana! i look forward to being as dedicated to movement as you are. welcome, i know you'll enjoy meeting everyone here.
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    Good morning and HAPPY NEW YEAR, everyone! What did you do to celebrate? We spent the evening with a couple of friends of ours, a lovely and delicious evening, and we went to bed at 11:30!

Today is the day I up my game plan, and begin focusing on staying within my allotted number of calories. Wish me luck... it's less than I'm used to eating, so I expect to be a bit grumbly by the evening.

Do you make new year resolutions? Did you make any this year that you want to share?
  • paigern82
    Options
    Good morning and Happy New Year!

Jess - I started by new years resolution last week: Get Fit and Eat Healthy - those are my mantras!

I was in bed at 10ish last night! Very low key this year. Anyway - today is the day that I celebrate since it is my birthday!

Good luck to you - fill in the void of calories with something for you! A walk about....read a great book...dancing around the house - just something that brings you joy! That will take up the space in your brain.

Paige