How to Log Cooked Beef Feet?

Options
neldabg
neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
I can't seem to find any nutritional data on beef feet. I've searched for "cow feet," "cow foot," and "beef foot." As a last resort, I checked the database, and all I got was a random homemade entry. Any idea what USDA or other trustable website entry I should use to log cooked beef feet? TIA!

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I looked up USDA cow feet and came up with an entry, though it doesn't specify raw or cooked.

An option is to just log the meat you're eating as another type of comparably marbled cooked beef.

7j053sdv37bp.jpg
  • neldabg
    Options
    I looked up USDA cow feet and came up with an entry, though it doesn't specify raw or cooked.

An option is to just log the meat you're eating as another type of comparably marbled cooked beef.

7j053sdv37bp.jpg

I did see that entry, but the reason I was skeptical of this entry is because it didn't appear on the USDA Food Composition Database, but matched another entry marked "Homemade - Boiled Cow Feet," so I thought it might've been a bad user entry.

Thanks for the response!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    USDA database has these --seems like the closest in terms of physical proximity, and they're both weight-bearing muscle:

13227 Beef, shank crosscuts, separable lean only, trimmed to 1/4" fat, choice, raw
    13228 Beef, shank crosscuts, separable lean only, trimmed to 1/4" fat, choice, cooked, simmered
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    According to wikipedia they don't contain meat or muscle, so I'd log it as ox tail.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    According to wikipedia they don't contain meat or muscle, so I'd log it as ox tail.

OP, did the cut include any meat, or is it really just the hoof?
  • neldabg
    Options

OP, did the cut include any meat, or is it really just the hoof?

I believe they did include meat. They look like this in their raw form:
    ldbujurdx53p.jpg
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »

Interesting. The pic must be cross cuts of be the "foot" above the hoof but, like pigs feet, there really isn't much if any meat in them.

This is what Wiki has to say about them:

"The cow's trotters does not contains any muscles or meat; other than bones and toe hoof, it mainly consists of skin, tendons and cartilage. In cuisine, the trotters' cuts are mainly valued for its unique texture — a gelatinous rather chewy soft texture of its tendons and skin, and also a rich broth produced from its bones. Nevertheless, to acquire a pleasant soft texture, a prolonged time of cooking, or pressure cooker might be employed in the process, this will extract the gelatins out of the trotters into the soup."

See: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow's_trotters
  • neldabg
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    neldabg wrote: »

Interesting. The pic must be cross cuts of be the "foot" above the hoof but, like pigs feet, there really isn't much if any meat in them.

This is what Wiki has to say about them:

"The cow's trotters does not contains any muscles or meat; other than bones and toe hoof, it mainly consists of skin, tendons and cartilage. In cuisine, the trotters' cuts are mainly valued for its unique texture — a gelatinous rather chewy soft texture of its tendons and skin, and also a rich broth produced from its bones. Nevertheless, to acquire a pleasant soft texture, a prolonged time of cooking, or pressure cooker might be employed in the process, this will extract the gelatins out of the trotters into the soup."

See: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow's_trotters

Thank you for the response! It looks like I'll be using @lynn_glenmont 's recommendation to use the USDA information for beef shank crosscuts because in the link you provided, it says that "Traditionally, in Western cuisine, the trotters are not commonly consumed, and not included in common cut of beef, which only recognize shanks. Nevertheless, the cut is often included as part of beef shank."