My 2016 Resolution - ACHIEVED

Options
RespectTheKitty
RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
edited December 2016 in Success Stories
In January of 2016, I made a decision that I wanted to lose weight once and for all. I was 255 pounds (height is 5'6") and I was uncomfortable all the time. I was tired of having back pain from the excess weight as well. And I was simply fed up with disliking the way I looked. So I made a resolution to start taking better care of myself so that I could lose some weight.

I started by joining the gym at the office. I went on my lunch breaks, doing mostly cardio exercise. I met with one of the trainers at the gym for an assessment, and she recommended that I start using MFP. So I downloaded it and started following the calorie goal it gave me. It was really hard at first to stay within my calorie goal; I was used to eating a lot more. But after a few weeks it became a little easier to manage. And when I saw the first few pounds drop off, it motivated me to keep doing it.

I focused primarily on exercise, but watching my calorie intake during the day was also very important. As time went on, my back got stronger and I was able to start running. I used a Couch to 5k program to build up to running 5k, or 3.1 miles. After that, I started adding on more miles and now I run four to six miles at least four times a week. I developed a love for running, which is a huge help in maintaining my weight loss.

I've lost 82 pounds over the last year. If I can do it, anyone can. Here are a few tips I used to stick to my weight loss resolution:

1. Focus on smaller goals, not the big picture. By taking it five pounds at a time, it was a lot easier to stay motivated.

2. Similarly, celebrate the small victories. When you meet your smaller goals, do something to celebrate. Get your hair or nails done, buy some new workout clothes, or do something else nice for yourself that doesn't involve food.

3. Find something you love to do for exercise. I love running, and I have no plans to give it up. Maybe your favorite thing to do is swim, play basketball or something else. Find a way to make exercise enjoyable, and it won't feel like work.

4. Acknowledge that there will be an occasional slip-up. It's impossible to stick to a diet 24/7. There will be times when you want to indulge. Plan for it, and work it into your calories for the day. That way you won't feel deprived.

5. Most of all, believe in yourself! By taking better care of your health, you are creating a better you!

1ljzcvg2lhkd.jpg

Replies

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!