Looking for maybe a little advice..

Options
I have started dieting again boxing day.
I am eating a lot of healthy foods and drinking lots of water. Good right well maybe not.

I have border line high blood pressure. Every since i started this diet its gotten higher and higher so much im back on my meds.

I went from 1.5 liters diet pepsi and candy and almost 1 big bag of chips daily no no pop no candy no chips at all.

I know i need to eat more calories im 382 pounds and i think since boxing day maybe 1400-1500 a day and i pee maybe 12 times a day.

I read that increasing water or liquids and taking out sodium at the same time can cause your bp to rise and electrolytes to be off.

Could this maybe my problem, with the 1400 calories a day maybe 1000mg sodium not nothing processed and no chips.

Thanks for any and all help..

Replies

• melterbelt
    melterbelt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are stressed from restricting yourself so much. I would think having an occasional snack in moderation would be ok, the problem with most is that we restrict ourselves on everything that we stress ourselves out. I am not a RD but it might be wise to speak to a RD or even a Nutritionist as they can review your exact eating habits and provide true direction on what could be causing the hike in your BP.
  • gottagetitoff11
    gottagetitoff11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yes im seeing a dr. I was just put on meds.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Increasing liquids and lowering sodium can throw off your electrolytes, but it tends to lower BP, rather than raising it. I second the suggestion of seeing your doctor. Maybe ask for some baseline blood work, including your electrolytes to see if there is anything going on. When did you stop taking your BP meds? Could the high be a rebound effect of not taking them? Did you stop under doctor supervision? Different BP meds work through different mechanisms, so they can certainly influence things such as water retention and electrolytes as well. Your doctor needs to help you sort through all of this.
  • gottagetitoff11
    gottagetitoff11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    He took me off them in the summer as i was doing well but put me back on them Tuesday.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    He took me off them in the summer as i was doing well but put me back on them Tuesday.

Sorry for asking. I'm glad you did it under supervision. It's amazing how many people just stop their meds on their own. Did he have any further advice for you? Can you get a referral to a registered dietician to help you out? Hopefully as the weight comes down, you are able to get off the meds again. Some people it doesn't make a difference.