What vitamins do you really need?

Options
I've heard about all the myths and such on vitamins place in the industry, some say certain vitamins could be bad taken frequently (vitamin C for example) and others say vitamins are useless or even bad for humans. I have very little knowledge on vitamins and I want to see what you guys think on the topic; what do you guys take and why?
Thanks and please don't kill each other in the comments!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I like food.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    The only supplement I take is a multivitamin/multimineral pill.

I changed doctors and the new one suggested that I stop taking the multivitamin/multimineral that my previous doctor really really wanted me to take. I stopped taking it but noticed excess hair loss. Restarting it put my rate of hair loss back to normal so I must be missing one or more micros in my normal diet.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I just take a multi vitamin...sometimes vitamin c as i tend to not get enough of that,but overall if you heat a balanced diet i dont see the need unless doctor recommended.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I take 5,000 IU of vitamin D because I'm deficient otherwise...taking it, I'm not deficient...so that's a plus. I take a multi-vitamin basically as "insurance". I also take krill oil for Omega 3. Taken in appropriate doses, vitamins are fine...but they can also be abused as people see them as "safe"...but too much of certain vitamins can be toxic.
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    The only one I take is just a multivitamin.
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin and a fish oil pill daily.
    I also take calcium because osteoporosis runs in my family.
    I also take iron every other day because I'm otherwise deficient.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I don't take any supplements. I'm probably deficient on something.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Vit D and magnesium if you stay inside in winter - otherwise I just eat a rainbow of healthy food.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I take some skin health vitamins and also just started taking a separate iron supplement since the multi hurt my stomach. I'm not deficient, but without supplementing, my hemoglobin levels usually come in just below the blood donation requirement.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I take a multi, fish oil, and calcium supplement daily.... and fiber gummies is fiber macro is short. I can really see the difference in my skin and nails when I take fish oil regularly.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I take 2 multivitamins for the vit/mins they provide, 2 tbsp of ground flax for fiber and omega3, Vit D for a deficiency, a low dose tab of aspirin for heart health and 5 mg of creatine for lifting every day.

I also take several medications daily for various health issues as prescribed.
  • manther88
    manther88 Posts: 213 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I only take multivitamin, fish oil and soluble fiber powder. I take the pill form because the gummies are obviously bad for us with the sugars and carbs and additives.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Don't take anything.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    manther88 wrote: »
    I only take multivitamin, fish oil and soluble fiber powder. I take the pill form because the gummies are obviously bad for us with the sugars and carbs and additives.

They are? Why?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

They are? Why?

Don't you know sugar and carbs are the devil ;)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

They are? Why?

Don't you know sugar and carbs are the devil ;)

We're all reminded of it daily (over and over again) on MFP. :D Not to mention "teh chemikillz!!1!!"

So unfortunate that so many people are taken in by fearmongering and don't understand even basic nutrition/physiology concepts.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    Its a do what is right for you situation. If you know you are particularly poor at consuming fruit and veg or if you have some digestive issues then use them. A good multi vitamin and mineral could be protection from deficiencies, in this form all bases are covered were you to go for individual ones you could end up with a kitchen cupboard full and need a day to take them. I'd take a good look at the fillers and binders, these can be involved in intolerances.
  • ConcordDiet
    ConcordDiet Posts: 26 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    For the most part, the vitamin/supplement industry is a multi-billion dollar waste of money - unless you cannot get what you need from your diet, or your blood work and your doctor suggests you need supplemental help. I know people who cram handfuls of junk down their throat everyday, just to pee it out or build up excessive amounts of fat soluble items like A, D, E, and K.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    II do not consider K a vitamin, for me and increasingly others, it is toxic.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Actually to answer the "Topic Question" We really need all of them. Supplements on the other hand are a totally different answer and that answer is it depends, and for all of the reasons mentioned above.