Gym Hair, DO Care!

Options
Ladies who workout daily (or close), how do you style your hair? I currently have a long bob, but it's a real pain washing longer hair every day. I don't really want to go short, but it sure would be easier to care for. I'm considering a short bob with an undercut, to make washing & drying easier and quicker. But then I'd have trouble tying it back when working out! Today the end of my ponytail was just touching my neck, and by the end of the workout it was so wet that it looked like I'd dipped it in water.

Tell me what you do to look cute but still be manageable......

Replies

• NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Dry shampoo in between washes works great for me. Sexy Hair H2No is my favorite.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    My hair is butt length, used to be to my thigh. I usually do a ponytail bun secured with a hairstick. Sometimes a braided ponytail is OK. I tend to wash M/W/F with dry shampoo in between. I use "not your mother's" from Walmart or Ulta. I wear my hair down at work. I style my hair with water and hair cream or mousse, scrunched, naturally wavy.
  • MrsCoby78
    MrsCoby78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have butt- length hair that I tie in a bun. When it was too long to stay out of my eyes, but too short to tie back, I'd wear a visor or ball cap.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    If you end up cutting it short all you'd need is either some hair slips or bobby pins to pin it out of the face, or a sweatband. Otherwise, throw it in a bun.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    My hair is layered. In the gym I wear it tied back. Wash it once a week usually. Works for me
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    My hair is boob length. French braids and dry shampoo are my best friends.
  • trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Wow, I guess I must sweat more than some of you ladies. My hair is soaked by the time I finish a workout, especially around the hairline. Not washing it really isn't an option. Dry shampoo really wouldn't cut it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Mine is pretty soaked, too. I rinse the hairline in the shower, but leave it up in a bun. Sometimes splash the water into the scalp. Washing everyday would dry out the ends, though.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I wash mine everyday. No way could I not. As you can see in my pic, it's shoulder length and requires hairdryer and curling brush to make it look nice because it's really thick. I sweat like crazy around my forehead, temple and ears when I workout. I don't put it up because I look like a dork! LOL
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I know my reply may be somewhat unrelated because I don't quite fall into the category of 'lady' (or.. uh. I don't think so!).

Though because I work out so much and have clients, I like to keep a good appearance up 'hair wise'. I use some hair gel and setting spray that I can only imagine contains some industrial strength glue LOL!
    I can do marathon distance runs, 200m sprints... hang upside down on bars and my hair doesn't budge an inch!!!

The joys of trying to maintain a little appearance when working out :lol:
  • meredithdelcastillo
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »
    I
    Different people have different chemistry and hence, different grooming requirements. That being said, I think many white people have a tendency to over-wash their hair.

This. I don't wash my hair until I know it needs washing. That might be a few days, sweated through workouts and all.

At the end of the day it is just hair. It really doesn't matter how it looks in the gym because you can just throw it up and no one really cares how it looks anyway!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    My hair is a couple of inches below my shoulders and goes in a ponytail when I work out. When it was shorter I would add a hair band to keep the front part out of my face. As long as I can remember, I have washed my hair daily, often twice daily...It just doesn't feel clean and my head itches, if I don't. But after being washed and dried, it goes back into its ponytail....I'm not really into putting alot of effort into my appearance.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    When I used to go to the gym my hair was either in a pony tail or a bun, I didn't concern myself with looking cute though (God only gave me so much to work with). You can also clean your hair and not use shampoo, a thorough rinsing and some conditioner will still do the trick and won't over dry your hair and scalp.
  • lisaconklin957
    lisaconklin957 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm in the "wash 1-2x per week" camp, as washing every day trains your scalp to over produce oils. (And my scalp is sensitive to the chemicals in commercial shampoos.) It takes a transition period to adjust but much better in the long run. You might read up on the No Poo (shampoo) movement, not necessarily to jump into that, but to get ideas on how to stretch out your washes.

Personally I have a high sweat rate and find that a simple "water rinse" is sufficient after a heavy workout. For a lighter workout I can get away with blow drying my head on a cool setting without rinsing or washing.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I have waist length hair and secure it with a ponytail then wrap into a bun with eight or more pins or braid it. Occasionally I just do a regular ponytail then regret it because my hair ends up wrapped around something or in my face. I usually wear a hairband or hat to keep all my little short bits up front in check. I had bangs until recently, but they were too much trouble now that I'm working out 5-6 days a week. I wash my hair every two to three days, whenever it looks greasy. My hair seems to do fine with a little sweat in it. When I had bangs though, they would get gross and need washing every time I worked out. Washing just bangs daily is a PITA, so I'm growing them out for now.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Dry shampoo for sure. I find if I put it in the night before, it does a better job than just spraying on as you're getting ready to go out in the morning. I'll make sure to section off my hair horizontally and get the roots in like three or four layers, then tie it up in a bun and sleep on it. I have a wavy texture though so I can get away with a lot.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I wet my hair everyday in the shower, i shampoo once a week, condition every couple of days and tie it up in a bun when I'm going to get hot and sweaty.