Do you feel suppliments, protein are necessities in weight-loss?

Options

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm down 55 lbs and will have a protein shake occasionally when I'm under on my protein for the day. Not sure it is needed as most days I get my protein from food. But I have grown to like the one I've got and it is actually a bit of a treat for me now.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I have found getting enough protein has really helped me stay on plan, and I have found protein bars and shakes invaluable on those days where I'm eating little or no meat. Definitely they aren't absolutely necessary, but they've made the process easier.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I have lost 80 lbs and did so without a single weight loss supplement. I do take multivitamins and drink an occasional protein shake, but none of that aided my weight loss.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Barring a medical condition, no. I have a friend who is low on iron and has other medical issues that ultimately interfere with weight loss. She doesn't take them to lose weight. She takes them to increase her quality of life (under the blessing and guidance of a doctor!) She will probably always have to. But the difference is that while having sufficient energy stores (vit D, iron, etc) sure help you find the energy to care about a calorie deficit, they don't in themselves make pounds fall off.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Do most that have over 50 pounds to lose use suppliments to aid the process? Such as bcaa, protein, creatine, etc?

supplementing protein doesn't aid the process...there's nothing magical about those things that help with weight loss...they're just supplements. Protein supplements are used to help hit protein targets which should be higher when losing weight to preserve muscle mass. If you get enough protein with food, a protein shake isn't going to do anything more for you. Creatine is a weight room performance enhancer...has nothing to do with weight management.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    The only real "supplements" I use are probiotics. I try to get them in with things like yogurt, but take extra to help with the "belly flora".
    I also take calcium/magnesium/Vitamin D. Never been big on drinking milk, and those have other positive benefits.
    Those and a multivitamin.

Now, at one time, Special K had a "protein pink lemonade" packet that had some whey protein and fiber in it - about 5g protein and 5g fiber. They don't make it any longer - so I went to GNC and got some fiber powder and whey protein, then went and got Crystal Light pink lemonade and make my own with a 16 oz bottle of water. I don't rely on it completely, but when I was working, I'd have a bottle about 3pm. I'd start getting a little hungry in the late afternoon and would have that just to "tide me over" until dinner. If that didn't "fix it" - I'd have a chocolite protein bar (www.healthsmartfoods.com) - it's about 100 calories, gluten/sugar free, and has a goodly amount of protein and fiber.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Do you have to? I don't think so. If anything a good postworkout protein would be beneficial to help you not feel as sore and helps build/repair the muscles. Also if you don't get enough protein then a meal replacement protein could help.

When I first started i didn't really take anything. Maybe some protein powder here and there. Now I found 1stphorm products and have been loving it. I ended up getting a vitamin (m factor goddess) and fish oil (full-mega). Just having those, I have noticed more results. My family has been sick since Christmas - myself included. Since taking those supplements. . I'm not as sick as my parents. Barely got it. I'm not doing anything different besides taking those so it's good to know that it helps. I also have a meal replacement (level1) and a post workout (Phormula1)
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    No. I lost 40 with 0 supplements. I am trying to decide if I should add in some protein supplement now that I'm lifting though
  • UltraTacks
    UltraTacks Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Supplements are overrated
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,995 Member
    Options
    I lost over 60 pounds and I never used any supplements. I do think that protein is important, but I just got it through foods and not suppements.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I take creatine daily and add protein powder into my diet to assist with my strength training goals. I take no supplements to aid weight loss and have lost 35 pounds with 100 or so to go. A calorie deficit is all you need to lose fat. Eat less than you burn. Getting enough protein in your diet along with lifting heavy will help you retain muscle. As I understand it creatine and BCAA's work best for increasing strength in people that don't get enough protein in their diets and are useless for anyone that isn't lifting. Protein supplements are really a food that is very high in the protein macro like lean meats. Eat a protein shake or a chicken breast, doesn't really matter.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Do most that have over 50 pounds to lose use suppliments to aid the process? Such as bcaa, protein, creatine, etc?

The only thing that's necessary for weight loss is a calorie deficit. Supplements are things you can take for specific reasons and can be helpful for meeting certain goals, but none of them are necessary.

Eric Helms recently authored two excellent, very comprehensive books (The Muscle and Strength Pyramids), in which he lays out evidence-based information about diet/nutrition and training. He has a pyramid for both aspects, and here's what his nutrition pyramid looks like (notice where supplements rank in importance - dead last in the hierarchy):

lf1jzb4c0rge.png

Yaay for evidence-based training. I want to implement what works and ignore/not worry about what doesn't. There are so many time-wasting diet fads out there!

I'm so thankful for MFP and for people who share information like this muscle and strength pyramid. My quality of life has improved since I have learned about and changed these important elements. It takes time, but wow-- so worth it!

Calories are most important for weight management but there are other important components for good health, vitality, strength, and well being.
  • UltraTacks
    UltraTacks Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Creatine is ok but you don't need it and most people who take it don't take it properly and don't drink enough water. Need to drink minimum 4 litres of water in addition to any other liquids
  • DebSozo
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Eating enough protein is important to preserve muscle when losing weight.
  • wochlikgm
    wochlikgm Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I tried them, and didn't see any difference to what I did without them. My answer is no. What worked for me is strict discipline in terms of the equation calories in vs calories out.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    UltraTacks wrote: »
    Creatine is ok but you don't need it and most people who take it don't take it properly and don't drink enough water. Need to drink minimum 4 litres of water in addition to any other liquids

Please elaborate on the proper way to take creatine and why anyone would need to drink 4 liters of water with it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

The only thing that's necessary for weight loss is a calorie deficit. Supplements are things you can take for specific reasons and can be helpful for meeting certain goals, but none of them are necessary.

Eric Helms recently authored two excellent, very comprehensive books (The Muscle and Strength Pyramids), in which he lays out evidence-based information about diet/nutrition and training. He has a pyramid for both aspects, and here's what his nutrition pyramid looks like (notice where supplements rank in importance - dead last in the hierarchy):

lf1jzb4c0rge.png

Yaay for evidence-based training. I want to implement what works and ignore/not worry about what doesn't. There are so many time-wasting diet fads out there!

I'm so thankful for MFP and for people who share information like this muscle and strength pyramid. My quality of life has improved since I have learned about and changed these important elements. It takes time, but wow-- so worth it!

Calories are most important for weight management but there are other important components for good health, vitality, strength, and well being.

Here's the beginning of a five-part YouTube series Eric did on the Nutrition Pyramid. If you watch all five parts, he lays it out in more detail than you ever thought you needed to know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAvW6xBZjSk
  • DebSozo
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

lf1jzb4c0rge.png

Here's the beginning of a five-part YouTube series Eric did on the Nutrition Pyramid. If you watch all five parts, he lays it out in more detail than you ever thought you needed to know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAvW6xBZjSk

Thanks!!
  • DebSozo
    Options
    I've watched three of the five parts so far. This is very timely for me-- especially part three as it is making so much sense and is helpful for me to understand how to modify what I'm doing to maximize efforts to meet specific personal goals. -- excellent series.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    there is no magic pill of any kind, unless its prescribed medication for a health issue. vitamins, nutrition, protein, macros, whatever, can all be met by a proper and well planned diet.

80 pounds down and not a single supplement in sight.