Packaged, already made, raw vegan meals?

Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    But, isn't raw vegan cauliflower just...cauliflower? Also, eating raw potatoes really isn't a good idea, unless you like stomach cramps.

I used to eat raw potatoes all the time and never had an issue with stomach cramps. I use to put some salt on it (peeled of course) and eat it like an apple.

Be careful if you keep doing that. You're lucky that it doesn't bother you the way it does some people, but you should make sure to look for green patches to avoid a toxic effect.
    http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-1f5focusm195324-pros-and-cons-munching-raw-potatoe-2009aug05-story.html

well when I would eat them raw I always avoided those with green patches and those that are sprouted. and nope never had issues with them raw. I dont do it now that Im older,only because Im not much for potatoes anymore lol. as for them being poisonous they say if you eat green ones,sprouted ones and so on then yes they can be,and as for others that dont have these issues are fine in small amounts. for every article that says they are poisonous there are numerous ones out there that say they are fine.once in awhile if we peel potatoes to cook I will have a piece or 2,but its not often.I used to as a kid eat 1 or 2 often,like I said I never got sick, my mom used to do the same and it never harmed her either. but Im fine as I dont do that much anymore.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    OP, if you want an easy "diet", just eat what you normally eat within your calorie limit.

That's how I lost 80 lbs in 12 months and have maintained it for 8 months and counting.

thing is OP has been here since 2015 and has been given nothing but good advice over and over, and yet doesnt follow any of it and if they do its very short lived. seriously makes me wonder.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    But, isn't raw vegan cauliflower just...cauliflower? Also, eating raw potatoes really isn't a good idea, unless you like stomach cramps.

I used to eat raw potatoes all the time and never had an issue with stomach cramps. I use to put some salt on it (peeled of course) and eat it like an apple.

Everyone's different. I had the exact opposite experience. Horrible cramping.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I think I tried it because raw food has more enzymes than cooked which helps with digestion and gut bacteria if I recall correctly.

I wanted to do it for a month but it was dead of winter and I needed warm food. I think I lasted 2 weeks.

One of the only drastic diet changes I did that wasn't for weight loss:).

Enzymes are proteins. ANY type of proteins that we eat are broken down (inactivated, digested) by our digestive system. The only benefit to eating raw, that I am aware of, is that you tend to eat less because you have to chew more :D
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

oh I agree everyone is different. just saying that it never caused me any issues.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Are there any healthy packaged, already made, raw vegan meals that you would recommend? Thanks☺to be more specific i mean meals like vegan spaghetti etc not a single piece of fruit and I'm already aware of salads so something other than that.Thanks again.

vegan spaghetti is a thing...raw vegan spaghetti isn't. You also mentioned mashed cauliflower...you'd need to cook it to mash it though I have seen it "riced" prepackaged in stores.

Really, "raw" is pretty much going to be a single piece of fruit (or a fruit salad), salads, handfuls of nuts, avocados, etc...you may need to rethink this.

Raw vegan is a lot more complex and diverse than this, and whilst I wouldn't/couldn't/will never ever be raw vegan, lots of the food is actually delicious (but highly calorific and massive amounts of work).
    (and raw vegan spaghetti is a thing...vegie noodles with a tomato based sauce, often either lots of mushrooms and nuts to emulate meat topped with nutritional yeast)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are there any healthy packaged, already made, raw vegan meals that you would recommend? Thanks☺to be more specific i mean meals like vegan spaghetti etc not a single piece of fruit and I'm already aware of salads so something other than that.Thanks again.

vegan spaghetti is a thing...raw vegan spaghetti isn't. You also mentioned mashed cauliflower...you'd need to cook it to mash it though I have seen it "riced" prepackaged in stores.

Really, "raw" is pretty much going to be a single piece of fruit (or a fruit salad), salads, handfuls of nuts, avocados, etc...you may need to rethink this.

My mom has a handful of raw cookbooks (she isn't fully raw, but she enjoys incorporating raw meals into her diet) and there are more complex dishes. There is even a place in Memphis where she lives that does a delicious raw "burger" (walnut-based). So there are more complex dishes, but they're pretty labor-intensive (or at least the ones that I've seen) and usually require fancier equipment (dehydrator, powerful blender, etc). To circle back to OP's question, I'm not aware of any place that is selling them packaged -- they just wouldn't have much of a shelf-life at all.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

My mom has a handful of raw cookbooks (she isn't fully raw, but she enjoys incorporating raw meals into her diet) and there are more complex dishes. There is even a place in Memphis where she lives that does a delicious raw "burger" (walnut-based). So there are more complex dishes, but they're pretty labor-intensive (or at least the ones that I've seen) and usually require fancier equipment (dehydrator, powerful blender, etc). To circle back to OP's question, I'm not aware of any place that is selling them packaged -- they just wouldn't have much of a shelf-life at all.

I was a raw vegan for a while back in the day, and I do love to cook. I had the dehydrator, and made a lot of the complex dishes.

The food is delicious, with the higher protein stuff not being calorie-counting friendly (lots of nuts). The only reason I stopped eating that way was that it came to the point where we basically couldn't afford for me to keep eating that way while the rest of the family ate differently. The produce bills for just me alone were astronomical.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I was a raw vegan for a while back in the day, and I do love to cook. I had the dehydrator, and made a lot of the complex dishes.

The food is delicious, with the higher protein stuff not being calorie-counting friendly (lots of nuts). The only reason I stopped eating that way was that it came to the point where we basically couldn't afford for me to keep eating that way while the rest of the family ate differently. The produce bills for just me alone were astronomical.

Yeah, I honestly don't know how people do it. My mom usually goes mostly raw for one month a year and it works because it's in summer when produce is super-cheap where she lives. But that's just for a month. I live in Minnesota and I can't even figure out how it would work here unless I was just living on nuts from the bulk bin and bananas.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Yeah, I honestly don't know how people do it. My mom usually goes mostly raw for one month a year and it works because it's in summer when produce is super-cheap where she lives. But that's just for a month. I live in Minnesota and I can't even figure out how it would work here unless I was just living on nuts from the bulk bin and bananas.

When I first started, it was before gas prices went crazy. And I don't know if you remember, but grocery prices back then were a lot cheaper. Well, oil went through the roof, gas prices went nuts, and grocery prices skyrocketed and that was the end of my raw vegan eating because our grocery bill went nuts at that point.

It really wasn't all that bad before then.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I loved it but it seems like I ate only salads of different sorts, other than the week I ordered from Rawvolution. It was dead of winter and I couldn't keep warm. I'm pretty sure I did it all wrong though.

I still eat a raw dinner or raw day once in a while although to be honest it has been quite awhile since I did.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    I loved it but it seems like I ate only salads of different sorts, other than the week I ordered from Rawvolution. It was dead of winter and I couldn't keep warm. I'm pretty sure I did it all wrong though.

I still eat a raw dinner or raw day once in a while although to be honest it has been quite awhile since I did.

Oh, I had a raw cookbook and I used to make patties and sauces and all sorts of things. Noodly things with veggies and creamy saucy things made with nuts on top... so yummy.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

When I first started, it was before gas prices went crazy. And I don't know if you remember, but grocery prices back then were a lot cheaper. Well, oil went through the roof, gas prices went nuts, and grocery prices skyrocketed and that was the end of my raw vegan eating because our grocery bill went nuts at that point.

It really wasn't all that bad before then.

Good point, I was thinking current prices.
  • 4whirly
    4whirly Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    http://nourishbowls.com Some of these are vegan. Not sure if they qualify as raw.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

oh I agree everyone is different. just saying that it never caused me any issues.

I never had issues either. Nor did my brother. We used to eat them as kids. I haven't done it in years.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Not ready made but the raw vegan restaurant in my town (or I should say that used to be in my town because apparently they shut down) have a cookbook on Amazon - search for borrowed earth café. I never tried it because I am not into raw vegan but I heard that it was good. Not sure how the cookbook is but my friend was talking about it the other day. She liked the food at the restaurant but hated the staff (she said she wouldn't be surprised if they closed due to lack of business because they were so rude) so she was thinking of getting it (she isn't really a raw vegan either but liked to have it sometimes).

So...a no-cook book, then. A chopbook maybe?