Working out with a new tattoo

Options
Strange question here perhaps.
On the 3rd of January I'm getting the new tattoo on my chest that I've been promising myself for the last 9 years.

The issue is that I'm a personal Trainer and I work with athletes - as such I have to train pretty hard at the same time as training them.

It's unavoidable, if I'm outdoors with a client and they're running a 4 mile circuit - I'm there running with them working various methods.

My question is this - tattoos and exercise don't generally go hand in hand as soon as the tattoo is done (until healed). Has anybody got any experience of working out after having one done and what did you find a comfortable limit for you?

Replies

• saphin
    saphin Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I had an upper back tattoo and was back on the bicycle the following day and sweating heavily in a tropical climate. My tattooist recommended that I didn't wear any clothing that could rub on the area and to apply a generous layer of Vaseline over the tattoo to protect it (showering that off without soap for the first three days). No damage to the tattoo and no problems with infection
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    saphin wrote: »
    I had an upper back tattoo and was back on the bicycle the following day and sweating heavily in a tropical climate. My tattooist recommended that I didn't wear any clothing that could rub on the area and to apply a generous layer of Vaseline over the tattoo to protect it (showering that off without soap for the first three days). No damage to the tattoo and no problems with infection

Thanks for the input :)
    Really been wanting this tattoo for a long time but with my career, I've put it off because it's on one of my main training areas when I'm doing my own sessions!

Decided to just go for it. I suppose it'll be okay, just have to take it a little easy for a while with machine-resistance training and stick to body weight training a little more!
  • ChaniGetsHealthy
    ChaniGetsHealthy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Be sure to clean really well after! You should be okay, but I second not having any clothing that can rub on it.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    ^Yep, keeping it clean is the most important thing. Might be difficult being it's on the chest, but I put some Cling Wrap on it while you're working out & clean it good right after.
  • AdamAthletic
    Options
    Be sure to clean really well after! You should be okay, but I second not having any clothing that can rub on it.
    ^Yep, keeping it clean is the most important thing. Might be difficult being it's on the chest, but I put some Cling Wrap on it while you're working out & clean it good right after.

I think you're right, so long as I keep it clean and wash it properly after - it should be ok!
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Agreed to keep it clean. Sweating will actually help the tattoo work out any dried blood and to help prevent scabbing. Only thing I would advise is to watch the heavy weights for that muscle area for a week. Too much blood to that area could have adverse effects.

Side note: no I'm not a tattoo artist but have had my share of ink while trying to keep up a workout routine and am going on what my artist recommends based on the area of the body.
  • AdamAthletic
    Options
    Agreed to keep it clean. Sweating will actually help the tattoo work out any dried blood and to help prevent scabbing. Only thing I would advise is to watch the heavy weights for that muscle area for a week. Too much blood to that area could have adverse effects.

Side note: no I'm not a tattoo artist but have had my share of ink while trying to keep up a workout routine and am going on what my artist recommends based on the area of the body.
    Thanks Jules, appreciated :)
    I've been dreading the time after - trying to work out how to keep up my routines for the proceeding weeks! Aha
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jules, appreciated :)
    I've been dreading the time after - trying to work out how to keep up my routines for the proceeding weeks! Aha

No problem! Your in better shape than someone getting a leg or foot piece! For those they recommend staying off it as much as possible for up to 4 days.... I couldn't imagine trying to stay still that long lol!!