Lean carbs lots of grams of carbs

Options
I'm suppose to eat 450grams of carbs a day but I want to stay lean. What types of foods?

Replies

• crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Veggies and a little fruit.
    Brown rice or baked sweet potato if you want something more starchy.

Oats if you like.

This is personal opinion, not dietary advice and all that blah blah blah
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Impossible to answer because the question is wrong. To lose weight, you need to eat less than you burn. To maintain weight, you have to find a balance between calories in and calories out. You can eat as much of any macronutrient you want. You can eat whatever food you want.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Impossible to answer because the question is wrong. To lose weight, you need to eat less than you burn. To maintain weight, you have to find a balance between calories in and calories out. You can eat as much of any macronutrient you want. You can eat whatever food you want.

He didn't ask about weight; he asked about composition, in which case macros do start coming into play.

OP: there is no accurate answer. You're going to have to try different things and find what works for you. The first response gave you a pretty good set of starting suggestions.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Leanness is going to depend on overall calories. I'm assuming you have that and your protein goals worked out.

Thus, the issue is hitting 450 g of carbs while making your other macros. Since we don't know your macros, hard to say, but to get 450 g of carbs starches are going to help: rice, other grains, potatoes and sweet potatoes, beans. Also fruit (less calorie dense, but the calories it has are from carbs). Milk has a lot (with protein and, depending on the milk, fat). Vegetables are good for you and should be eaten, but aren't really going to help you get to 450 g of carbs.

But really, it depends on your macros and the rest of your diet.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    quinoa, oats, buckwheat, banana's, potatoes, beans,...
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

He didn't ask about weight; he asked about composition, in which case macros do start coming into play.

OP: there is no accurate answer. You're going to have to try different things and find what works for you. The first response gave you a pretty good set of starting suggestions.

But when it comes to composition. If you're in a surplus you will start to gain fat which will alter body composition same as if you're in a deficit. No matter what your macros are.

By lean carbs im assuming you mean complex carbs.

Oatmeal
    Sweet potatoes
    Quinoa
    Wild rice
    Brown rice
    Whole grain/multigrain breads
    Spaghetti squash
    Whole grain pasta
    Bananas would not be since they are a high glycemic carb, meaning they result in a greater insulin spike when consumed. That's another thing i would recommend looking up. Take a look at all the foods on the glycemic index, they will all be carb related foods. Anything generally below 40 will be considered a slow digesting Lower insulin spiking carb

• lemurcat12
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Bananas would not be since they are a high glycemic carb, meaning they result in a greater insulin spike when consumed. That's another thing i would recommend looking up. Take a look at all the foods on the glycemic index, they will all be carb related foods. Anything generally below 40 will be considered a slow digesting Lower insulin spiking carb

Why is this relevant to OP?
  • jessef593
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

He's looking for slow digesting non insulin spiking carb sources. What better place to look than the glycemic index which is designed around insulin spiking foods.

Quoting an entire paragraph makes it mildly difficult to discern what part you're referring to exactly.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

He's looking for slow digesting non insulin spiking carb sources. What better place to look than the glycemic index which is designed around insulin spiking foods.

Quoting an entire paragraph makes it mildly difficult to discern what part you're referring to exactly.

Actually it's highly irrelevant unless he's eating carbohydrate in isolation after an overnight fast, and even if that were the case it wouldn't likely matter for body composition.

Additionally, the glycemic index is not a direct measure of insulin response.

• jessef593
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Actually it's highly irrelevant unless he's eating carbohydrate in isolation after an overnight fast, and even if that were the case it wouldn't likely matter for body composition.

Additionally, the glycemic index is not a direct measure of insulin response.

Alrighty. Fair enough. I just felt as though it would be a good reference since he was looking for "lean gain" carbs. Though that's more so related to Total caloric intake
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Anecdote:

I'm lean. I eat 400+g of carbs per day in all makes and models: Veggies, donuts, fruits, donuts, bread, donuts, chocolate milk, pizza, donuts.

I'm blowing the gycemic index up and losing fat when needed/wanted. In my case, it's been 286% irrelevant. It's simply been hitting my carb goals in any way needed.

Granted, someone could argue "not nutritionally dense and healthy and enjoy that heart attack", but the type of carb has had no effect on staying lean. Just understand healthy and lean are different, though definitely not mutually exclusive.

In short, my experience has been fear not the food. Fear consistently eating more than you burn.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

He's looking for slow digesting non insulin spiking carb sources.

Where did he say this? If he's trying to put on muscle (just guessing), he probably doesn't want to totally avoid spiking insulin, and most people don't have to worry about it as a negative thing. Insulin spike also depends on the COMBINATION of foods.

And yes, I was referring to your assumption that he should be concerned with the GI.

(Even those who have reason to look at such things, btw, are better off focusing on glycemic load, not index, and still the combination of foods is what matters, but for OP we have zero reason to think that's a concern at all.
  • jessef593
    Options

Where did he say this? If he's trying to put on muscle (just guessing), he probably doesn't want to totally avoid spiking insulin, and most people don't have to worry about it as a negative thing. Insulin spike also depends on the COMBINATION of foods.

And yes, I was referring to your assumption that he should be concerned with the GI.

(Even those who have reason to look at such things, btw, are better off focusing on glycemic load, not index, and still the combination of foods is what matters, but for OP we have zero reason to think that's a concern at all.

Why are you going at me? I was merely giving my opinion. A more simple carb when digested is then converted into fat post insulin spike. So yes post workout an insulin spike can be beneficial, though I have not found any studies that can completely back it. The reason I brought up the index is if he's worried about fat gain, more complex carbs would be his best bet. I get what you're getting at. I personally have never heard someone refer to a glycemic load. Which I will have to look into
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2017
    Options

Why are you going at me?

Responding to what you said is not "going at you."
    A more simple carb when digested is then converted into fat post insulin spike.

Not really.

First, simple carb just means sugar (including in fruit) vs. the complex carbs that make up starch (including in potatoes and white bread).

Second, you don't gain fat in a calorie deficit. If you happen to put on a little and take off a little more over the course of a day, you still lose net fat, and the type of carbs you eat makes no difference to this.

I suspect OP is trying to gain muscle without putting on much fat. If so, the biggest issues are protein, workouts, and not having too high a surplus.

(I'd pretty much defer to someone like SideSteel for advice beyond that, so will bow out.)