What motivates you to exercise?

Options
13»

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Saw this the other day.....exercise is a privilege.

I exercise (now) because I can. I exercise (now) because I want to be able to so for as long as I can. Motivation is easier for me (I'm older). Seeing how much strength and the range of motion I lost from being a total couch potato was frightening.

Even if you just add yoga (for starters) - you will feel a difference. Yoga will make you body aware. Increasing your flexibility and your range of motion will make you feel better. For the less flexible, look for Yoga for the Rest of Us (or Peggy Cappy). For bigger folks, look for Just My Size Yoga, Mega Yoga or Heavy Weight Yoga.
  • grayblackmfp
    grayblackmfp Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I started off doing some fitness dvds at home because I wanted to lose some weight post pregnancy . Then I began to feel much more relaxed mentally from working out and really enjoyed that benefit too. Started trying different exercises for the fun of it. I did cycling for a while. Lately I'm into pilates and dance .
    Keep trying different things until you find something for you. Also if you are doing activities with an instructor then the can vary greatly between teachers.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Getting started is the most difficult part. In the beginning of my fitness journey, I could hardly get motivated to even get in the gym, and when I did I didn't want to lift or go in the oh-so intimidating weight section (where I had no clue what I was doing) so I just hit the cardio section and left. After a while (about a year-and-a-half ago) I finally got up the courage to incorporate weights. That's when I no longer had to "force myself" and talk myself into going to the gym. The strength that I was gaining was motivation enough. Increasing PR's, seeing my body change so significantly, feeling healthy, that was my motivation. Now it's a lifestyle. I still need a little extra motivation every once in a while, but for the most part, once you get over that hump in the beginning it's easy sailing and you enjoy the gym.
  • callyhockey
    callyhockey Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Because training is my outlet for all the other stress in my life.

Plus there is something fundamentally cool about being able to do things that a pretty low percentage of people can do.

Have to agree with this completely. My motivation is that when i dont exercise i feel like *kitten* and everything else in my life seems to magically get worse. Also wanting to be stronger and do things others cant do
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I've trained over 30 years to look good and be physically fit enough to do challenges that require physical abilities. I don't want to be the one that stays behind because I'm not fit enough to do something. I'm out to have fun in life for how short it is and it will take being in good shape to do some of them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I don't want to get old. I'm 45 and want to stay healthy.

I love results...knowing I can lift more than the week before. I love being able to do things I couldn't do before.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    At the moment, my wedding coming up in December. After that, we want to start trying to have children in the semi-near future and I want to be as in good a shape as possible for my recovery afterwards and for the benefit of my future babies.

I lifted weights through both pregnancies and was better for it afterwards.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't know if I've ever truly been externally motivated. When I was in sports, I gave everything I had, trained hard and listened to my coaches because that is what was expected. Being healthy and active is just something that I do and part of what I am without having to search out motivation. Are there cool perks like feeling awesome, doing things guys younger than me can't, knowing I'm striving to live and enjoy life without physical limitations for as long as I can...you bet, those are great. But I never think of that stuff when I'm pushing that last rep or digging deep to finish a wod. I'm just doing what I do.
  • Aud66
    Aud66 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I started by going walks, would borrow a friends dog to motivate me.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I found this motivational: kno19pbwdx9h.jpg

After posting it, I saw it was unreadable as is, but you can right click on it and save it. Then open it up and zoom in, since it is high resolution. Worth a read if you're looking to get motivated.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What motivates me is having my fitbit synced to MFP and watching the calories increase throughout the day.
  • aamberrr
    aamberrr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've started looking for more "short term" motivators when it comes to exercise. While exercise can help you lose weight, it won't happy overnight, so if that's your only motivator, you might quit before it actually starts to happen. I like how I feel when I'm done exercising. I like the energy rush and how productive I can be once I'm finished. I like that it makes me feel more tired and ready for bed earlier in the night. I also have been trying some new types of exercise to keep myself motivated. I've always loved weight training because it makes me feel strong and I'm motivated to keep lifting heavier. I just started doing a cardio kickboxing program from home to get myself back in the routine, and I plan to start lifting again soon.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I just got a good idea from another post. Rewarding yourself is motivational. You can reward yourself after every workout to create that positive association in your brain. As long as the reward is tied to working out, it may in time make your brain want to work out. It's like reprogramming your brain.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    i'm pretty flexy with motivation, i guess. sometimes it's optimism, sometimes boredom, sometimes ambition or a specific goal . . . sometimes it's spite or me showing off to my own personal self, or it's just plain ol' you-children-always-have-to-be-different contrariness.

whatever gets me out the door day after day after day after day. i'm not very consistent or fussy, i guess.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Health first motivated me because I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and knew it would only get decreasingly debilitating without activity. I started out with walking, and I turned from someone who always hated exercise into someone who was in the habit of exercise and eventually became someone who enjoyed exercise and wanted to keep challenging herself at it.

In the act of challenging myself I've water jogged, taken up running, and lifting weights.

I exercise now mainly because I enjoy it, and my day doesn't feel right without some sort of physical activity in it. I'm still motivated to stay healthy, of course, but that's no longer my main reason for strapping on my sneakers or picking up the weights.
  • MrWilson6
    MrWilson6 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My kids, are what motivates me to exercise.

I want to be able to have the energy, and for as many years as possible, so that I can play and be active with my kids throughout their youth. Personally there is nothing worse that having a lazy Dad who doesn't want to play with his kids. More importantly, and for my own long-term health, I want to grow old and see my kids succeed in life and have families of their own. I know it sounds cliche, but why would you not?!
  • Nads36
    Nads36 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, you've really motivated me and inspired me to try varies things I hadn't considered before!