Running

Options
Running or in my case running stance but ends up less than walking pace.
I'm rubbish at it, my body hates it. I'm not built to run! And I only got to wk 5 or 6 on C25K cause my body hates running... what can I do to make it easier on my body? I like the process of the running and it's kinda relaxing mentality anyway but physically my body hates me and wants to see me die!

Replies

• MrsCoby78
    MrsCoby78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What do you mean when you say your body hates it?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Your body wants to see you die, that't not a good thing...lol

Can you elaborate on your training and what is happening?
  • Bluwaves1
    Bluwaves1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I run I want to quit after 3 minutes but then I tell myself 'make it 5 minutes' then I tell myself 'you already did 10% of the run, and I always finish.... but this happens all the time. and I stretch out for about 15 minutes before as well. I guess the more you do it the more your body adjusts.
  • LittleMaid17
    LittleMaid17 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I can other cardio work I manage insanity kinda ok it's hard work but it's fine.. but running everything slows down I feel heavy and struggle to move even tho' in my head im going fast im in fact going slower than when I walk.
    My knees protest even tho I can jump fine etc etc I just don't understand why my body protests so much when I try to run, even tho' I do harder workouts more intense.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    deleted
  • LittleMaid17
    Options
    Bluwaves1 wrote: »
    Most of the time I run I want to quit after 3 minutes but then I tell myself 'make it 5 minutes' then I tell myself 'you already did 10% of the run, and I always finish.... but this happens all the time. and I stretch out for about 15 minutes before as well. I guess the more you do it the more your body adjusts.

I set myself mini targets as I run like to the next lamp post my, next crossing, road etc etc I stretch out as much as I can as I have Cerbal palsy and have stiff muscles especially in my hamstrings but can stretch really well considering.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Others will undoubtedly chime in with some good advice on how to fix your stride and whatnot. But if I was in your shoes and running was causing me knee pain, I'd switch to a low impact form of cardio like biking/spinning, swimming, elliptical machine or rowing machine.
  • LittleMaid17
    Options
    Its just really hard physically for me.. just heaviness I only get while running... I feel the impact on my knees alot.. I use to get sorry shins but new shoes sorted that.. breathing seems impossible also I work out harder and faster in home workout dvds. And manage fine in those.
  • LittleMaid17
    Options
    That is the only way I can explain it everything is harder and slower and heavier when I run compared to other workouts.. I found lifting weights better than running
  • Bluwaves1
    Bluwaves1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    If you have CP then maybe you are right your body just is not wired to run. Do the cardio exercises that you are best at. as long as your pulse is in the zone, then you are getting a good work-out. I actually do 80% elliptical 20% running, but I lose weight way faster with running.
  • scronce2014
    scronce2014 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's also helpful to go to a running store and buy shoes that are appropriate for your feet and legs and stride. Go to a store that can do an analysis of these components and then recommend a good shoe for you
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Are you running outdoors or on a TM? Outdoors always goes faster for me. It also takes me a couple of miles for my body to warm up and relax, so you may be stopping before you even get properly warmed up. It might get better if you slow down (yes, really) and run more, but if your head is fighting it, you may never learn to enjoy it. If you don't enjoy running, find something you do enjoy and do that instead. Life is too short to waste time forcing yourself to do something you hate when there are so many other ways to get fit and have fun.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Keep your strides short. Land your feet under your body and increase the cadence. Make sure your are relaxed. You hands should be free to move as you run. Try to keep them closer to your hips. Don't clench your fists.

It may sound counter intuitive, but keeping your stride short and increasing your cadence will allow you to run longer and easier. It will also relieve the extra stress on your knees and hips. Relaxing and not clenching your fists will use less energy and keep your whole body stronger longer. Swinging your hands near you waist/hips will force your upper body to be in a more natural position for running.

Also, you should know that when you first start running it will take some time to get to the point where you can run easy. Running 1 or 2 miles at first will seem hard. As your body adapts, running 1 or 2 miles will be nothing more than a warm up. Give it time.

Good luck and Happy New Year.
  • cupcake28
    cupcake28 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey there i know exactly what you mean ive been battling with running for the last 3 years, find weights a much better work out.... so i guess i wasnt built for running. However, i havent given up on the idea of running i just go out and run/walk 2 miles as much as i can. I find the lamp post thing works too.

I havent made much progress over the 3 years but im carrying a considerable amount of weight to what i should be carrying and i think this is most of the problem which holds my running back.

That said nothing burns fat like running.... so dont give up, a mile is a mile regardless of your time x
  • galengower
    galengower Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you really want to run, go talk to a good running coach. I'm not a running expert or anything, but I run regularly up to half marathon currently and I still have days like you're describing. If you really don't like running, though, there are plenty of other exercises you can do as everyone points out.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Keep your strides short. Land your feet under your body and increase the cadence. Make sure your are relaxed. You hands should be free to move as you run. Try to keep them closer to your hips. Don't clench your fists.

It may sound counter intuitive, but keeping your stride short and increasing your cadence will allow you to run longer and easier. It will also relieve the extra stress on your knees and hips. Relaxing and not clenching your fists will use less energy and keep your whole body stronger longer. Swinging your hands near you waist/hips will force your upper body to be in a more natural position for running.

Also, you should know that when you first start running it will take some time to get to the point where you can run easy. Running 1 or 2 miles at first will seem hard. As your body adapts, running 1 or 2 miles will be nothing more than a warm up. Give it time.

All of this
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Running or in my case running stance but ends up less than walking pace.
    I'm rubbish at it, my body hates it. I'm not built to run! And I only got to wk 5 or 6 on C25K cause my body hates running... what can I do to make it easier on my body? I like the process of the running and it's kinda relaxing mentality anyway but physically my body hates me and wants to see me die!

Run slower
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

Totally this. It completely changed how running felt for me.

And don't be afraid to wait until you lose more weight to try running. You do not need to run to lose weight. You just need to eat fewer calories than you burn. Continue doing workouts you like and try running again after you lose a few more pounds.
  • LittleMaid17
    Options
    Thanks all. I'll try all different things suggested
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Do intervals. Basically, walk, break into a run, then go back to walking or jogging, and repeat. Land on the front of your feet to absorb shock in your calves, not your joints.