5:2 success stories please?

Options
Hello all. Another 5:2 post, sorry!

I've decided to give it a shot. 5:2. If I hate it i can always go back to standard old Cico.

Please can I hear from anyone who has had success with 5:2? How much did you lose? Did it average 1lb a week? Any tips?

Thanks!

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there are those that have had success with it, in fact I know there are as people have posted before.

They will have lost what their calorie intake dictated they would. CICO still applies, it's just the distribution of those calories across the week is different than if you don't have two very low calorie days. So if, on average across the week, you eat 3500 calories below maintenance, you will indeed lose 1lb per week.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I lost 148 lbs with CICO, would not even consider something like 5:2.
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Exactly what previous posters said, 5/2 is calories in calories out, which is why it works.

The pros are that you don't have to have 7 low cal days, you only need 2. That seems more attainable than feeling like you are always dieting.

The flip side is, you can't go off the rails 5 days a week. You just divide what calories you have left for the week by 5, and that should give you more wiggle room than you had before, but still maintaining your deficit.

Like any diet you follow, it has to be something you can be consistent with. If you don't jive with it after 5-8 weeks, it may not be the program for you.
  • gabbyo23
    gabbyo23 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Why would you want tips and feedback on a diet you say you hate? Better to eat in a way that is sustainable to you. That being said, search "Fast Diet", another name for 5:2. They have a website with message boards and information.

What? Why are you so hostile? I did not say I hate it?! Please bother to read my question before you get your panties in a twist. And if you haven't done 5:2 (and therefore don't have a contribution of any value) I don't know why you've responded.
  • gabbyo23
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I lost 148 lbs with CICO, would not even consider something like 5:2.

OK...?
  • gabbyo23
    Options
    I'm sure there are those that have had success with it, in fact I know there are as people have posted before.

They will have lost what their calorie intake dictated they would. CICO still applies, it's just the distribution of those calories across the week is different than if you don't have two very low calorie days. So if, on average across the week, you eat 3500 calories below maintenance, you will indeed lose 1lb per week.

Thanks, fair point! I just would have liked to hear from others who have done it.
  • msalicia116
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't even answer your question entirely. I love it! It makes me feel like I can actually eat 5 days a week without deprivation. This is the first time in my life I've ever felt that way. And honestly, two fast days are equally great because it's nice to take a break from constantly thinking about food. I already know it's a fast day, so I just stay busy until dinner, and have a normal meal, and call it an early night. I always feel amazing the next day. I feel like it resets me, makes me more aware of real hunger signals, reduces my appetite, saves me money and time, and I feel like my palette is hightened, which makes food taste better. Even better is that the weight loss is just icing on the cake compared to the other health benefits.

GL with whatever you decide!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Exactly what previous posters said, 5/2 is calories in calories out, which is why it works.

The pros are that you don't have to have 7 low cal days, you only need 2. That seems more attainable than feeling like you are always dieting.

The flip side is, you can't go off the rails 5 days a week. You just divide what calories you have left for the week by 5, and that should give you more wiggle room than you had before, but still maintaining your deficit.

Like any diet you follow, it has to be something you can be consistent with. If you don't jive with it after 5-8 weeks, it may not be the program for you.

This^

I tried 5:2, the two 500 calorie days were too hard for me but other people manage. I wanted 5:2 to be the thing that allowed me to not have to log everyday. That didn't work for me either.

What does work for me....is (kind of) 5:2 in reverse. Just weekends are maintenance......the other 5 days are lower calories. Weekly deficit numbers still apply. The weekly total is just divided by 5 instead of 7.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8628-5-2-diet

You just need to find the method that helps you stay on track.
  • msalicia116
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

This^

I tried 5:2, the two 500 calorie days were too hard for me but other people manage. I wanted 5:2 to be the thing that allowed me to not have to log everyday. That didn't work for me either.

What does work for me....is (kind of) 5:2 in reverse. Just weekends are maintenance......the other 5 days are lower calories. Weekly deficit numbers still apply. The weekly total is just divided by 5 instead of 7.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8628-5-2-diet

You just need to find the method that helps you stay on track.

I'm going on 2 years of fasting, and this is what I learned the most. It doesn't have to be exactly what the diet entails, it opens up the possibility for a ratio that works for you! It's endless if you think about it, I can't believe I never thought about your variation before haha.

Currently I'm doing 3 "fast" days at 900, because I'm so busy those days, but upped the calories so I can manage my work outs. The other days are the remaining cals. I feel like I'm cheating all the time because I have so many calories I'm not used to having, without feeling like I have a deficit at all. It's genius!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5:2er since May 2013. It is as mentioned above a CICO with the cal deficit over the course of a week. It works for me because, I don't handle a daily deficit well for a long time.

I lost 29kg in about 18mth (2 fasts per week and TDEE on nonfast days - yes I logged them too) and have continued to use the fast days (1-3 per week) to maintain. This allows me to maintain and not log every non fast days. Works for me, but the fast days are not for everyone. I find 5:2 or any form of a few low days mixed with normal days easy, clear cut and very flexible.

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I've just come back to the 5:2 after taking a break. I'm already seeing results on the scales and in measurements. But more importantly I feel better. Give it a go!! All you have to lose is weight lol.
    If it's not for you, at least you have tried something new. A tip I got from a 5:2 veteran was planning your fast day is vitally important and drink loads of water.
    Good luck :smile:
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I just started something along the lines of 5:2 this month. I'm doing two days at 500 but my feed days are anywhere between 1600 cal up to my TDEE of 1800-2100 (depending on activity level). People on the forum stress to me that this isn't actually 5:2 because of not hitting my full TDEE in feed days , but either way I'm liking it and finding it easier to stick to than a daily goal. I'd rather have two days that I'm really strict, and then the rest of the week it's a bit more relaxed and I don't feel like I've ruined everything by having a slightly higher cal day. This month I've lost 10 lbs! (Which is fast for me - my goal is to just lose a lb per week so I'm really excited about this!)
  • 23susu23
    23susu23 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Same as jelleigh does. I like my modified 5:2 and do it along with my hubby and adult son. We usually do our low cal on Mondays and Thursdays. My hubby REALLY wants to do 5:2 so I started going along for support but it is working for me. On my other days I eat 1400-1500 (which MFP gives me to lose 1 pound per week). I'm old and short and have lots to lose so I figure it doesn't hurt me to go this low for a while. I also don't do strenuous exercise yet so when I start, I will probably have to add in some exercise cals. This has me losing an average 1.5 per week. My low cal days get me close to an extra .5 pound loss per week.

Some low cal days are tougher than others but I find it workable. I usually skip breakfast and eat 250 for lunch and then 250 for dinner. That is usually just steamed fish and a low cal veggie. Makes meal planning easier on those days for sure. The men eat more than me, of course. I've lost 20 pounds since Sept. 19. We are planning on doing 6:1 when we hit maintenance. I've lost and gained a couple of times in my lifetime so I will probably always have to count calories because I am just a piggy left to my own devices!