Does anyone else work out extra just to get more calories?

Options
Today was my rest day however im going to the movies tonight and i want to bring a snack and i have 11 cals left lol.

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    H2O
  • rikkejanell2014
    rikkejanell2014 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    H2O

Uhhhh
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,804 Member
    Options
    Yesss, but normally it'd because I ate too much and I don't want to go over
  • humpbackgirl
    humpbackgirl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Not really. I still eat the same no matter how much I've gained. I don't know why but I don't see working out as "extra food" more so than something that's good for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'd be miserable without exercise calories. Plus being active every day is good for me.

Since you said in your other thread your workouts consist of "Cardio and resistance" sure, do some more cardio today and enjoy that movie snack!
  • rikkejanell2014
    rikkejanell2014 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Not really. I still eat the same no matter how much I've gained. I don't know why but I don't see working out as "extra food" more so than something that's good for me.

I mean yes of course its good for me and i love it but what i was saying is that today i didn't work out and I've run out of calories and i want more food and don't want to go over. So exercise is the key.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with that at all. I don't eat my calories back on a day to day basis as I am losing and not maintaining. However, if I want to go out for a beer and hot wings with friends once a month or so, I will totally put in that extra time on my treadmill to fit it in instead of taking the hit on my calories!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,037 Member
    Options
    I don't take rest days.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories back regularly, so I usually have "extra" for days I want more. But if for some reason I don't have any extras stored away, I'll do cardio for a couple of days to get those calories.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Eat a bit more today, eat less tomorrow. I typically look at my week overall.
  • Doctorsookiestrikesback
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Eat a bit more today, eat less tomorrow. I typically look at my week overall.

Same
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd eat less tomorrow before I relied on a guesstimate of how much I burned exercising when I know I'm already out of calories.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I workout extra for fitness. The extra calories are just a bonus. I have not even been logging my calories for many months now and have been maintaining my weight just fine. And I eat pretty much anything I want.
  • voodoozombie69
    voodoozombie69 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    why is that the exercise tracker does not deplete the cal burned from strength training? I do one hour and a half 5 times a week and i am just curious.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Aren't you supposed to buy snacks at the movie, not sneak them in?

To the original question, as long as you have an overall healthy mindset about food, I don't think there's anything wrong with doing a little extra exercise to bank some calories for splurges, but if it turns into a "I have to earn my calories or I can't eat XYZ " then I think that would be a red flag.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I skied for pizza today, good home made chicken, bacon, caramelized onion with home made crust. I'll have to hike tomorrow so I can have leftovers. If not for exercise I couldn't eat much being an old lady and all. Mostly though I exercise for fitness.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    No. I exercise to build my fitness, not to eat more.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Wanted some extra wine so 30 mins on the treadmill for me.