Overeaters' Anonymous

Options
Hi-

I'm about 25-30 pounds away from my ideal weight, but I've been struggling with binging for as long as I can remember...I've had waves where I've been fine but lately the smallest things will trigger me. I'm ashamed. I am thinking about attending Overeaters Anonymous and was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with the organization. Thank you.

Replies

• JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of experience but have attended a few meetings with friends. great organization - generally I have seen a lot of people who are a lot more overweight there than you are unless they are in recovery. Please do not hesitate to go. Do not be ashamed - you are on your way by admitting there is a problem.
  • LadyRush
    LadyRush Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've been to OA and it is a wonderful place to start out. First it is very accepting. You haven't done anything a compulsive overeater hasn't done before. You can find a sponsor to help in your recovery and to help you work through the 12 steps. If you do the work it is really liberating. It has had a very profound influence on my life. I am a better person for it. I am a kinder, less self centered person for it. Don't expect to do everything at once, or be perfect. Just keep going back. Add me if you want, I'd be honoured to support you through your steps!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hi-

I'm about 25-30 pounds away from my ideal weight, but I've been struggling with binging for as long as I can remember...I've had waves where I've been fine but lately the smallest things will trigger me. I'm ashamed. I am thinking about attending Overeaters Anonymous and was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with the organization. Thank you.
    My aunt started going and she's lost a lot of weight. The only issue is she's become kind of obnoxious about it, but it's working for her and she lives far away so I don't have to deal with it very often. :-)
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I cannot recommend the program highly enough. I attended OA for about two years before the message started sinking in and I finally worked the 12 Steps and lost 68 lbs. The weight was nice, but what really matters is the freedom I have found from the emotional roller coaster of obsession, anxiety, low-self esteem, and guilt one suffers from when compulsively overeating.

The program that OA is based on (Alcoholics Anonymous), is very old, goes back to the 1930's. It hasn't changed much, and this is because it is a solid program that works when you work it. It is an extremely trustworthy process - you just have to be *willing*. That is all it takes.

The meetings are great because there is a strict rule against judging anyone or giving advice, which creates an environment of total acceptance and understanding. The humility there is palpable. People are in all stages of addiction, from newbies to folks who are in recovery. The folks in recovery give the newbies hope that they can succeed and the new people remind the recoverers to never get apathetic and fall back into old habits. The repetition of the meeting program keeps everyone on track and renewed with the steps and tools and brings some much-needed discipline and consistency into people's lives.

I know it's not easy to go. You might feel sort of weird walking in there. But there is absolutely no shame in it. You'll be welcomed and received with open arms. Good luck, and if you like, let us know how it goes and what you think!
  • earmuff111
    earmuff111 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I went to OA for a while several years ago. Like 2-3 meetings a week for about three months. I did not find it helpful, but it wasn't a bad experience, either. I met some nice people, one of whom ended up becoming a close friend. (By the way, OA helped her a lot.)

I do think OA gave me the push I needed to get into counseling, though, which did work for me.

I say check it out if it interests you. It might be your missing piece.
  • Cynther222
    Cynther222 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im not sure if I am an overeater. This could be denial. We have one in town here but I am afraid of going because I don't want the people there to feel like I don't need it? or why is she here - she looks fine ? or whatever someone might think. If that make sense. I would really like to go. I would like to see what goes on and if they can help my food addiction. I crave food all the time. The smells drive me nuts and just from sight I have to have it. I could eat about 4,000-5,000 a day in calories. I never feel full; once I finish a huge meal I need to eat again in the next 1/2 hours. This makes me feel gross....

And so it seems - when people ask what was your favourite part about the vacation or event. I always talk about the food and not the other events that we did. "Yeah we had a great - the food was amazing" "The Lobster and all you can eat buffets"....I could go on.

Next, I always hide food in my closet, purse or under the sofa from my husband. I feel guilt for sure. He tries to prevent me from eating all this garbage but I have difficulties stopping. I love chocolate, I love smart food, I love candy, pizza and all extras on food (extra cheese, bacon, extra sauce). You name it. I love it.

So is this an overeater? Should I honestly be going - I am not obese but 5 pounds over what I should be. In 5 years I gained 40 pounds. For my age, height and weight I should be doing better. I should be healthier and caring more before it gets worse but I don't. I need the help and motivation. I am hoping that this Fitness Pals keeps me on track and that I find someone who motivates me or works along with me.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I think every person would benefit from the 12 Steps. We all have our hang-ups and habits to overcome.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Im not sure if I am an overeater. This could be denial. We have one in town here but I am afraid of going because I don't want the people there to feel like I don't need it? or why is she here - she looks fine ? or whatever someone might think. If that make sense. I would really like to go. I would like to see what goes on and if they can help my food addiction. I crave food all the time. The smells drive me nuts and just from sight I have to have it. I could eat about 4,000-5,000 a day in calories. I never feel full; once I finish a huge meal I need to eat again in the next 1/2 hours. This makes me feel gross....

And so it seems - when people ask what was your favourite part about the vacation or event. I always talk about the food and not the other events that we did. "Yeah we had a great - the food was amazing" "The Lobster and all you can eat buffets"....I could go on.

Next, I always hide food in my closet, purse or under the sofa from my husband. I feel guilt for sure. He tries to prevent me from eating all this garbage but I have difficulties stopping. I love chocolate, I love smart food, I love candy, pizza and all extras on food (extra cheese, bacon, extra sauce). You name it. I love it.

So is this an overeater? Should I honestly be going - I am not obese but 5 pounds over what I should be. In 5 years I gained 40 pounds. For my age, height and weight I should be doing better. I should be healthier and caring more before it gets worse but I don't. I need the help and motivation. I am hoping that this Fitness Pals keeps me on track and that I find someone who motivates me or works along with me.

Two thoughts. One, my family tells stories around the food, too. If they went on a scenic train ride over a gorge, the story starts with the roadside café where they stopped for coffee on the way. I remarked on that to a friend once, and she laughed and said her family stories are anchored around the shopping finds. I don't find that troubling at all.

Hiding food and eating to the point of discomfort are not good signs, however. If your food attitudes/habits are interfering with your ability to do things you want to do in life, it's worth the effort to bring it in balance with the other things that are important to you. I'll repeat that I don't think there is a person alive who would not benefit from working the 12 Steps. It will just make you a better person.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend checking them out. It isn't for everybody but, for many, it is the missing piece. Also, if one group doesn't feel right but the program does, try out a couple of different groups. Each one has its own dynamic based on the people who attend and one may be more beneficial to you than another.
  • thoughtbloom
    thoughtbloom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've thought of going as well since I struggle with binge eating and am an emotional over eater and have really struggled with losing weight and breaking the cycle. I'm really shy though and that makes going to a meeting like that all the harder. I've heard really wonderful things about them though and I think you should give it a try and at least see what a meeting is like. It's good that you are considering taking this step. Let us know how it goes!
  • hippiefemme
    hippiefemme Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you aren't particularly comfortable with going in person, there are online and telephone meetings where you have as much anonymity as you would like. I've been to a few, and people were incredibly supportive.
  • richardmbunn
    richardmbunn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I couldn't recommend OA more. It saved my life as I'd be dead now or real soon if it wasn't for the programme.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I attended only 1 meeting, and it changed me. It opens you up emotionally, and gives you guidance. I'd recommend going.
  • zimzamzum
    zimzamzum Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread but as someone fairly new to OA (have been in the fellowship for 3 months) I would love to speak with those who have more experience and get some further support. I'm finally ready to start working the steps but feel a bit clueless as to where to start.
  • nikiamber22
    nikiamber22 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm just thinking about going to a meeting for the first time, but I'm nervous about it. However, I am absolutely a "closet-eater" and think it may be a good place for me to deal with my comfort overeating. I need to lose over a hundred pounds, so I guess I was most worried that the other members would look at me in disgust. But reading these threads is giving me courage to at least try it.
  • cnave99
    cnave99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    zimzamzum wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread but as someone fairly new to OA (have been in the fellowship for 3 months) I would love to speak with those who have more experience and get some further support. I'm finally ready to start working the steps but feel a bit clueless as to where to start.

Feel free to add and message me. I've been in OA since 2013
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    old thread.