Advice for someone who has 125lbs to lose!

Options
Nads36
Nads36 Posts: 108 Member
What are your top tips for staying on track over a long period of time? What is the best exercises when heavier and any beauty care or techniques which help you with preventing loose skin.
And what has been the best thing about being slimmer?
Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• Nads36
    Options
    Thanks dbkyser! Will buy some lotions and increase my water consumption! Well done with your progress!
  • Nads36
    Options
    Adc7225, thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer...I think you are spot on about health coming first!! I have taken all you've mentioned on board....well done to you! It is great to hear things can change!
  • shopmead
    shopmead Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am also at the beginning of a 115 lb journey I'm taking many people's advise and making baby steps this time this is not a diet but a life long life style change so I'm not going to try any fade or so called quick diet but slow and healthy I also listen to a podcast every day to keep me on track and focused half size me is the site from what I'm learning is the people who track their good or bad food are the most successful we can do this I know we can
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    1. Staying on track over time (I've lost over 100 lbs, am 5'1", F 46, with about 10 more to go, btw): I know it's a cliche, but success breeds success. If you can just get yourself locked in for a month, your body and mind will change A LOT in all sorts of ways. You'll notice smaller wrists or ankles, it will be normal to eat less, or the numbers on the scale move downward. Record everything: weight, measurements, photos. When you can see progress on many fronts, it helps to keep going.

2. Exercise when heavier: honestly, anything you like and you'll do.

3. Loose skin: it's not that bad considering you get a new kind of life

4. Best thing about not needing to deal with weight any more: the experience of being free, confident, proud of myself. And so hopeful about the future. (Like, hey, this is the year I find someone and get married? That's a much better "resolution" -- creating a new future -- than what I've done in the past.)
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Having logged for about 3 years y top tips would be
    Drink water, tea as your main drinks
    Log everything even if you are over - don't sweat it, one day over won't be the end of the story. It is a journey to yourself and that takes time.
    Be honest to yourself - and use the journey to understand your triggers (mine is boredom)

Start exercising doingsomething your love, does not matter what. Simply put if you like the exercise you'll stick to it and can build up from there. I simply started walking and yoga. Still love them but have added significantly to it over time. Don't ask yourself to do exercise like a top athlete over time.It took them time and commitment to get there too.

Any exercise will help with loose skin, but I found that for me weight training has been key. I started with low weights (think less than 1kg) but it was a start and build from there.

Take steps one at a time, look back and celebrate the good things. Use the forumThe NSV - (non scale victory) thread) Is completely inspirational and can give some great ideas - use the success forum for ideas.
  • char71165
    char71165 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am currently on the journey of losing 197 pounds. I have lost 9 of those to date. It is a journey. I see many others stating this and it is true. The weight loss is just the start. Maintaining the weight loss is the continuation for the rest of my life. I too have lost weight and then gained it back plus more. So I am now viewing this as what permanent changes can I make to be healthier and lose weight? The answers to that is what I am doing.

The first thing that has helped me is awareness of my eating by tracking it here on MFP. Seeing that has helped me to know what to change and how.

The next thing is moving/exercise each day. I have started slow by setting a goal of 20 minutes a day. I have a stationary bike, I walk and I dance. I find just getting up, putting on some music with a good beat, and dancing to it in my livingroom works well.

I find support and encouragement to be crucial to being successful. I love making new friends on MFP and supporting them on their journey. This helps me to remain committed to my goals and on track.

I think losing weight slowly is the best way to avoid a lot of sagging skin. The amount of skin you will have is going to depend on so many factors that it is hard to say what is the main thing to focus on. I agree with what has already been said...drink lots of water, moisturize....but also know that the amount of time you have had this weight and your skin has been stretched out will be part of the issue as well.

I wish you all the best on this journey!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Be patient. Anyone who tries to push a quick weight loss program is likely trying to sell you something.

Do not embrace an "all or nothing" mentality. Example: I ate a cupcake. Judge yourself as "I'm bad and a failure." Eat the rest of the cupcakes. Give up on program because you're bad and what's the point.

Be careful of your knees, back and feet. 125 extra pounds puts a lot of strain on joints and particularly these areas. Pick exercises that don't have a lot of impact for this reason. GOOD: stationary bike, swimming, weights, walking.
  • mellowadam
    mellowadam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've lost 100 and kept it off 3 years.

Log accurately everyday! The more precise the better. This information will become extremely valuable when you get toward a normal weight and need to figure out how to get the last bit of weight off. Finding your true maintenance is a big deal and can take several months of data. It will also help to know how you respond to different macro strategies.

Start lifting heavy things now. Any form of strength training. Just have fun. Your loose skin won't be as bad if you have more lean muscle under it.

Get enough sleep and eat your veggies.

Good luck. You can do it!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Nads36 wrote: »
    What are your top tips for staying on track over a long period of time? What is the best exercises when heavier and any beauty care or techniques which help you with preventing loose skin.
    And what has been the best thing about being slimmer?
    Thanks in advance!!

Start now. Don't stop. Don't get discouraged. When someone tells you you're too skinny ignore them. When someone tells you you shouldn't be doing something that's working for you, ignore them. Don't fall for the low carb/fad diets, simply eat at a moderate deficit and exercise regularly. Eat back up to half of your exercise calories.

As far as exercise, when I was heavy I walked. Walked. Then I walked more. I walked as fast as I could sustain, then walked a little faster, and then walked up hills as much as possible. I would adjust my walking path to include hills. When I got used to a specific route, I'd change it up and add more hills. I was relentless. I averaged walking 4 miles a day up to 6 days a week up to 4mph.

Do yourself a favor, make sure you take at least one rest day a week. You'll have to eat less that day most likely because you won't have exercise calories to add back but your body needs to heal and rest. I managed to lose 115 lbs my first year, and honestly that was a little too fast. I even ended up injured after the first six months (back issues) because I was going at it 7 days a week.

My suggestion, set your loss rate at 1lb/week, eat back half of your exercise calories. That should give you a bit more than 1lb a week loss. Adjust your macros so that you're getting around .8g/lb of your target weight in protein. Set your fat intake at around 25% of what's left after that, and the rest in carbs. No food is off limits, but higher calorie foods may leave you hungry with no calories left for the day. So you are welcome to adjust according to what satiates you, but no need to avoid any food. Sugar, in moderation, is fine for non-diabetics. Caffeine is definitely fine for most people. Carbs are not the enemy. Fats are higher calorie so the only reason to avoid an excess is just that, it'll eat up your daily calories. Excess protein over .8g/lb of your target weight won't hurt, and it takes longer to digest so it'll keep you full longer.

As far as the loose skin, you're going to have that no matter what you do depending on your age. Best thing you can do to avoid some of that is to exfoliate daily, and drink lots of water for hydration. Expensive oils, lotions, bands, etc. are a waste of money if you ask me. Your body will snap back somewhat, but if you have a ton of excess skin it may not. Better to have loose skin than be obese in my book.
  • Nads36
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Greatly appreciate you taking the time out to give me fantastic advice! I have taken it all.in a day am planning my meals and exercise routine - walking and swimming! Hope you have all had a fantastic festive holiday....Happy New Year!
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    My goals were 10% of my weight. I started at 247, so my first goal was 25lbs. I heard once somewhere that you can't feel the difference in the size of an object until it's about 10% lighter or heavier (comparing small objects in your hands). I focused on that as a guiding principle and to keep me from being overwhelmed by the big picture. This helped me lose 80lbs, though now it's been a couple years I'm having to lose 30 of it again. Try to make it a lifestyle change, simple is better if you can keep to it more. I started regaining from cheating too many days in a row and not being as active on MFP. I've counted my calories at least, so I always know what I'm doing wrong to gain. I'd suggest logging no matter what, at least it will tell you what you eat.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    My advise is to understand this has to be a LIFETIME commitment. Practicing new healthy habits until they become ingrained in your daily life. #1 for me is tracking my food. At first it seemed sooo time consuming, but now I can't imagine not doing it! It takes me no longer than 10 minutes total to log my food and activities. #2 MAKE TIME for exercise! Pool exercises are great for very overweight people with joint issues. Strengthen those muscles! Seeing your body transform is amazing. # Drink water! This is one thing I have struggled with, but it's so important.

As far as loose skin...well, that's pretty much up to genetics and your age. I have issues with loose skin on my upper arms, stomach, inner thighs, and my face. I don't know if there is anything different I could have done to prevent this, but I do know that being fit and healthy w/ loose skin feels 1000x's better than weighing nearly 300 pounds! Plus, there always is the option of plastic surgery. ;-)

Attitude is important as well. I never think or feel I'm depriving myself with my healthier food choices. Instead, I think about how well I'm nourishing my body and how incredible I feel when eating good! Now, exercise is something I love doing! Hiking, biking, walking, swimming....they all are such a joy now.

The best thing about being slimmer? EVERYTHING!

• Nads36
    Options
    Thank you...It is lovely to hear you all doing so well....A great insperation! Keep it up everyone :)
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    Everything everyone else has said and....

For me, portion control was the final piece of the puzzle. I've always exercised and always eaten healthy foods but couldn't figure out why I still weighed 232 pounds. Once I was honest with myself, and logged my food, it was pretty darn easy to see why the weight wasn't coming off! I've lost 86 pounds over three years. There have been holidays, wine, celebrations, wine, camping trips, wine, and everything else that life throws at you that's fun.

Don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day. Just start over the next day. Fat people have bad days EVERY day. Healthy people over-indulge, and then get right back on track.

And move every day. If you find that walking is too hard on your joints, try the pool. The hardest part will be walking across the pool deck for the first time in a bathing suit. After that it's no big deal. My local rec centre has "deep water running" classes and I still go twice a week, even though I now run and do other things. It's a great workout with no stress on your joints.

Congratulations on your decision :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!