Low carb and headaches

Options
Hi,

Anyone know or anyone experience headaches when they eat low carb.
I instantly feel and look less bloated when I cut out the carbs, but as the day goes on I get headaches? Any tips?

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    That is normal at the beginning. I get a dull headache when I eat low carb also. But it does go away. You might want to eat more salt and drink more water as you can get dehydrated and lose electrolytes due to the water whoosh down.
  • MattsGirl90
    MattsGirl90 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, how long does it last for? X
  • Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm not low-carb, but you could joint the low-carb group here or Google "keto flu"--there are definitely some suggestions out there for you.
  • DianeLang21
    DianeLang21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do keto and had the "keto-flu". I only lasted a day for me. When I felt sick, I ate bacon. The fats helped. If you're on facebook, check out some of the ketogenic groups. There is a lot of info out there for low carb eating. Good luck!
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Keto flu- sip on some chicken broth. You need to up your sodium
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It isn't really normal. It's just a sign that your electrolytes are out of balance due to the water loss from being low carb. You need more sodium, often upwards of 3000-5000mg per day (or 1-2+ tsp salt). Like @KetoLady86 suggested, broth will help. So would salt tablets or salting your food and water. I add a tsp of salt to water most mornings.
  • Libellue23
    Libellue23 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you're not getting your sodium and electrolytes the headaches van keep going.
    Mine lasted 3 days first time.
    Pickle juice is great to help avoid electrolyte depletion (just a small swig/shot)