How often to Weigh?

Options
Trying to figure out how often is best. Suggestions. Comments.

Replies

• j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    i weigh in once a week.
  • Lolyballs
    Lolyballs Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    once a week for me... I had a weight loss coach who had me weigh every day so I could see how my weight fluctuated. This is very discouraging! I will never try it again.
  • hughannah
    hughannah Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i weigh once a week as weight can fluctuate daily but i do have a sneaky look on the bathroom scales sometimes ha ha
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Weekly here!
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Try and do it once a week, preferably on a sat/sun morning as if I leave it til a weekday and I don't like what I see, I don't want to be in a bad mood going to work!!
  • roraborealis
    Options
    More often than once a week means you're probably going to see your weight go through normal fluctuations and you might get discouraged. I weighed myself a bit more often because I noticed I was losing weight faster than I thought was healthy and I want to make sure I'm not overestimating how much I'm eating or underestimating my exercise, because I'm pretty sure I was. Now I'm back to forcing myself to wait about a week or so between weigh-ins and measurements. Also, if I'm feeling bloated, which happens occasionally, I wait until the next day to weigh in. No good weighing in when your body is obviously not in its normal state. Also, your body weight fluctuates even throughout the day, so pick the same time of day. First thing in the morning is my choice.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every single day. I've been doing it for awhile and I think it has really helped me to understand my body better. I know what is a normal weight range for my body - which helps with the 1lb gained freak outs that most people have. I know that my body fluctuates between 143-146 and I'm perfectly okay with it being in that range. I've also learned what foods cause me to retain water (and therefore make the scale go up). I've learned that my body goes up for a few days after I've been to the gym. I like knowing what's going on weight wise and I feel like weighing everyday has taught me a lot about my body. :)
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday also, but I give myself a 5 lb range (2 lbs either above or below my goal). I only record my weight twice on month. I think it’s about whatever works for you.
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself daily, but Friday's are my "official" weigh-in that i count and track.
  • thenewkarisa
    thenewkarisa Posts: 207
    Options
    I was weakly when I did have a scale LOL
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    Most people weigh in 1 time a week. Since I don't have a scale at home I can only do it when I'm at the rec. I weigh in Monday to make sure I didn't ruin anything over the weekend, and then on Friday at the end of the my workout week.
  • imjustlisa
    imjustlisa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i weigh daily which is really an addiction i think!.. i would suggest once per week because your weight will fluctuate even daily, sometimes from morning to night. These fluctuations will drive you crazy. trust me.
  • dayglo4
    dayglo4 Posts: 18
    Options
    It's really up to your personal preference but I would say no more than once a week! If you can wait 2 weeks between weigh-ins, even better! You need to check somewhat regularly to make sure you're movng in the right direction but weight loss is always slower than we wish it to be and if you're anything like me, nothing is worse than kicking your butt all week in the gym only to see the number on the scale stay put!

I think it's better in the beginning to just focus on making the changes to your lifestyle that you need to and not the steady weight loss. Incorporating more and more exercise into your week and cleaning up your diet more and more, etc. If you do decide to weight-in less often, I suggest hiding your scale ;) I can never resist
  • GeekGirlOnAQuest
    GeekGirlOnAQuest Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning but only count the Friday weigh in as my "official" one. It doesn't bother me at all to see the fluctuations during the week and I've actually gotten pretty good at predicting what I'll weigh because it helped me to get to know my body and how it reacts to what I eat and do. I've noticed that when I don't weigh every day I get lax in tracking my eating and eventually fall off the wagon, so every day it is for me!
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    i weigh twice a day once in the morning once at night i know how my body fluctates now from night to morning i usually drop 1.5lbs aprox so if im lighter at night than i was the night before i most likely lost :)

5ft 3 SW:182 CW:140 GW:125

42lbs in 8 1/2 months :D

6148478.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Once a month or less. I go by how my clothes fit, measurements, and how I feel.

I'm the odd one out I guess. But it works for me. :-)

A while ago I got into the habit of hopping on the scale almost every morning. I know a lot of people do this and it works for them, keeping them on track. But for me? It sabotages my success completely and it has *never* helped me lose weight. It only caused me to focus on a number, distracting and discouraging me. I want to focus on feeling better and looking good — that cannot be encapsulated in a number. When I kept my weigh-ins to once-a-month or longer, I was able to keep that number in perspective. it also seems to keep me more 'in tune' with my body as I'm going mostly on how I feel and how my clothes fit.

So, for me, the dang scale went in the closet, and will not see the light of day for another month or so.
  • BarbieHier
    BarbieHier Posts: 29
    Options
    Every morning for me.

I used to weigh less frequently, but that led to problems.

If I go by 'how I feel' I tend to get sloppy with what I am eating. Some days I 'feel' like I have lost, but once I weigh in, I find I didn't lose, or even fluctuated up a bit! And those days when I feel cocky, like I have lost, I might be tempted to cheat a little here or there. The daily weigh in keeps me honest. Plus if I go a week without weighing, expecting a bigger loss and don't lose as much as I had hoped to, then I'd be MAD for days! ;)
  • takemeaway10
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning but only count the Friday weigh in as my "official" one. It doesn't bother me at all to see the fluctuations during the week and I've actually gotten pretty good at predicting what I'll weigh because it helped me to get to know my body and how it reacts to what I eat and do. I've noticed that when I don't weigh every day I get lax in tracking my eating and eventually fall off the wagon, so every day it is for me!

Good to know I'm not the only weirdo thatdoes it daily! It's not for the weak at heart, but you can learn a lot of things about your body from daily weigh-ins. Check out my MFP blog on it!
  • AntoinetteC
    AntoinetteC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Every other weekend at the gym with my trainer.
  • Penguinita
    Penguinita Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once every two weeks. From my experience, the scale is a secondary measurement of your success. The first is visual, how do you see yourself, others? are your clothes fitting differently? second is the scale & tape measure. Its really up to you how comfortable you feel in regards to time line. I first started doing my weigh ins farther apart because the scale was getting in my head, lol I would freak out or get so down over the slightest gain (even if I KNEW I was bloated).