Success on Keto?

Options
First day on keto and wanted to see if anyone has had lots of weight loss on this way of eating ..

Replies

• KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yep, changed my life :)
  • kemz143
    kemz143 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lost 15lbs in a month with minimal effort. Still going but it's been so amazing for me
  • xProfLupin
    xProfLupin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just started a week ago (maybe a day after Christmas) eating low-carb/keto and I'm down 10 pounds so far. Of course, probably all water weight but considering how obsessed I am with carbs (I dream about eating french fries and oreos if they are around me) I will take it.

How I am helping myself keep steady so far, I got a 10-pack of microwable/freezeable meal containers.. has a big area and two smaller areas. The night before I prepare the next day's breakfast (I go to work at 6am so eat it either right at 6am as I get to work or right before I leave my home), 8am break, 11am lunch. At dinner time, I make my dinner as well as repeating for the next day.

Being prepared ahead of time is what has helped me continue to eat low carb and is what is unltimately helping me lose the weight since I don't have the temptation to buy unhealthy food if I already have it prepared :) (I was also 280 ---> 270 so it's probably easier for me to drop weight right off hand) :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I went from 196 to 150 in 5.5 months on keto. I also went from 150 to 177 in 2.5 months on keto.

The point? There's nothing magic about it. If you enjoy it, and it makes it easier for you to consistently keep a caloric deficit, you'll lose. If you overeat on it, you'll gain.
  • amandas1540
    amandas1540 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love it! Did it before and fell off, started again today!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've done it (mostly) for over a year and a half. It helped with my health, and feeling better helped me lose 2-3 lbs each week for a total of about 40lbs.

I did regain close to 10 of those pounds over the last 6 months or so. Thyroid was a problem and I ate too much using food as fuel. I'm losing again now and hope to be back down those 10 +5 more pounds in 3 months.

I really like LCHF and keto. I can't imagine ever walking away from it. It was game changer for me and my health.

Good luck! Try the Low Carber Daily MFP group for more success stories. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Love it! Did it before and fell off,
    Wonder how this is possible,
    started again today!!
    and whether this is a good strategy if it's something you fall off.
  • Lei9785gha
    Lei9785gha Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I lost some weight but was stuck for a while. I have now found out I have an intolerance to dairy and it's just not for me so I'm doing it all again....please friend me anyone here and watch my diary it's open daily. Thanks. Good luck we can do this together
  • laurentoews
    laurentoews Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Trying it out too....thing I'm having a hard time with is for tracking my macros-I am supposed to stay under 50 g of carbs....and I'm over that almost purely with veggies. How do you guys do it?!

I have 12 grams from avocado, 6 grams from greek yogurt and literally the rest aside from 1 odd one here and there are from steamed or grilled veggies. I can't stay under 50 for the life of.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Trying it out too....thing I'm having a hard time with is for tracking my macros-I am supposed to stay under 50 g of carbs....and I'm over that almost purely with veggies. How do you guys do it?!

I have 12 grams from avocado, 6 grams from greek yogurt and literally the rest aside from 1 odd one here and there are from steamed or grilled veggies. I can't stay under 50 for the life of.
    Most people count "net carbs" with veggies - ie: they subtract the fiber.

12g from 1cup of Avocado happens to have 10g of fiber, so you're only netting 2g of carbohydrate from it. The same goes with most veggies that grow above ground - very little carbohydrate once the fiber is subtracted.
    CaraMerced wrote: »
    First day on keto and wanted to see if anyone has had lots of weight loss on this way of eating ..
    Yes, OP - I had fantastic success with keto. As @Gallowmere1984 suggests, there is nothing magical about it - weight loss still 'boils-down' to having a caloric deficit ... but if it helps you get there, or if you need help with glycaemic control - then it's a great way of eating.
  • bbwarfield
    bbwarfield Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Didn't see response
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    If your doctor has told you you have a medical condition that requires a special restrictive diet, follow those instructions.
    But as long as you're eating less than you burn, you'll lose weight.
    Easier to take in less than to burn off more.
    Have a balanced diet for best health.

For best practices on recommended macros, check out this table from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition:
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/1/1/T1.expansion.html

carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)
  • bbwarfield
    bbwarfield Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Been doing great! Started at 310+ in July and got down to 290 by the end of August on exercise and regular old diet, started keto on August 20 and weighed in at 256 this morning! It went slow for a few weeks then I cut out diet drinks, I know it's not necessary and it has zero effect on some people, but it kicked it into over gear for me. My thought is, to quote Donald Trump (which I normally don't do) "I've never seen a skinny person drinking a Diet Coke"
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    bbwarfield wrote: »
    Been doing great! Started at 310+ in July and got down to 290 by the end of August on exercise and regular old diet, started keto on August 20 and weighed in at 256 this morning! It went slow for a few weeks then I cut out diet drinks, I know it's not necessary and it has zero effect on some people, but it kicked it into over gear for me. My thought is, to quote Donald Trump (which I normally don't do) "I've never seen a skinny person drinking a Diet Coke"

Don't confuse correlation with causation.

I see a lot of overweight people eating keto diets, therefore keto makes you overweight. See what I did there? :D
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    bbwarfield wrote: »

Give it forty more years, and he could just omit the part about Diet Coke. That said, he must not get out much.