Melasma/Hyperpigmentation/Brown Spots

Has anyone used Retin A for this? did it help in anyway?

Replies

• elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    edited December 2016
    I've used retinol 1% the last year and a half and it's helped a bit. Plus using sunscreen all year around has prevented them re-darken.
    Started using Retin A only 2 weeks ago so can't say on that yet sorry.
  • hensue11
    hensue11 Posts: 64 Member
    Thanks, I thought Retin A was the same as retinol....
  • elka67
    edited December 2016
    No Retin A is a lot stronger.
    Most products containing retinol have it in very low, almost insignificant quantities. 1-2.5% are considered as high.
    The average off the counter product has far less.
    Retin A is tretinoin (generic term) and comes in 3 different strengths; 0.025. 0.05 and 0.1.

Because I was acclimatised to 1% retinol already, I have started tretinoin at 0.05%
  • hensue11
    Gotcha. Hopefully i will get mine soon, starting with the same strength as you.....hopefully it can help fade this melasma if it totally gets rid of it i will be amazed,
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Hope it works for you!

I have one small tip....I used it for a few years as a teenager for acne and learned a hard lesson one summer. USE SUNSCREEN while on it. (Of course I was told that by my doctor but I was a teenager so I knew everything and ignored him.)

Good luck!
  • hensue11
    yes, got the sunscreen habit down :) .....thanks though
  • lady_ghost
    lady_ghost Posts: 175 Member
    edited January 2017
    hensue11 wrote: »
    Has anyone used Retin A for this? did it help in anyway?

I AM HERE TO HELP YOU. You need to treat hyper pigmentation holistically.

I had melasma- hyper pigmentation during and up to two years after pregnancy. I went to a natropathic doctor who put me on an extensive vitamin regime. Vitamin c, b complex, omega 3, biotin, cod liver, evening primrose, iron (I was deficient in iron) apple cider vinegar once before every meal, sunscreen. I started to eat healthy too mostly green veggies and meat, the carbs I had were sweet potatoes whole grain or wheat bread quinoa brown rice. I started having a green kale spinach smoothie a day. I started taking super food powder suppliments and protien shakes. I exfoliated often and I lost 30 pounds. Now my melasma is 95 percent gone and I had it bad. I had dark skin patched on my face neck chest breast stomach, arms, butt, I was like ten different shades of black now I'm back to my original color. Now my skin is glowing, i dont even need make up anymore and my stretch marks have faded. Hyperpigmentation is caused by hormones and only treating it internally and holistically will have lasting affects. I have tried retinal a, masks, even lightening creams and no result was successful until I saw my naturopathic doctor, ate right and lost the weight. I started this in July and now it's Jan so it will take a couple of months to get your skin back to normal but it's well worth it. Now my goal is to be healthy over just looking skinny.
  • elka67
    If you decide to use the Retin-a , start slowly to avoid it aggravating your skin too much.
    Perhaps as little as once a week , in the evening onto dry clean skin and building up slowly. It will cause flaking and could get a bit sore.
    Avoid the corners of your eyes, nose and mouth.

Get a good moisturiser, I am also using a facial oil and just apply as necessary through the day. You already know about sunscreen, you will need to wear that everyday from now on even on cloudy wintry days.

I'm 2 weeks in and applying it twice a week, but I had already used retinol 1% every day for a year and a haly.
    Good luck.
  • pogoandpanda
    pogoandpanda Posts: 4 Member
    For pigmentation there is a product called Cosmelan 1 if you want it gone quick. It is very pricey but purported to be safe and extremely effective. It can be purchased off a reputable ebay seller.

For liver spots on hands and and legs look into 12-18% TCA, again can be purchased online.

I would use Retin A at a starter level of 0.25% and work towards over 1.0% over a 12-18 months - go very slow on this one and use for ongoing anti aging. Lots of great you tubes available on these products. Do heaps of research.

Again a great diet, exercise and sleep work amazingly well also.
  • hensue11
    Thanks everyone for the suggestion, i have researched quite a bit, now just waiting patiently to try it, not sure if its fortunate or unfortunate but i live on a very sunny island, and staying out of the sun is a bit of challenge.