Running

Options

Replies

• EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    don't run. my body does not like it either. yoga, indoor cycling, gym workouts, or just walk!
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    mgalovic01 wrote: »
    Do intervals. Basically, walk, break into a run, then go back to walking or jogging, and repeat. Land on the front of your feet to absorb shock in your calves, not your joints.

running is supposed to be heel then toe, last time i checked!
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I struggled for a long time to build up running; I felt much the same as you. It took me THREE years to be able to run a mile without walking. I just kept going for shorter intervals and built up the very first one over a loooong time. I built distance as well and kept doing run walk intervals. The week after I ran my first mile, I ran a 5k nonstop. Six months after that I was at a 10 mile long run. Once I finally got to that first mile ,something finally clicked.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Do intervals. Basically, walk, break into a run, then go back to walking or jogging, and repeat. Land on the front of your feet to absorb shock in your calves, not your joints.

Different people have different gaits. Forefoot landing, as the individual you responded to recommended, was very fashionable about three years ago. Research has indicated that it can lead to calf injury if it's not a natural gait for the individual.

In practice it's as bad thing to force an unnatural gait as anything else.

The advice you responded to is bad, because it's uninformed. The is nothing inherently wrong with forefoot, midfoot or heel striking.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options

Landing on your heals sends a shock wave through your joints, causing damage and ankle, knee, hip and lower back pain. Striking the ground more towards the front part of your foot causes your calves to absorb more of that shock. Your calves and Achilles tendon can take a lot more shock than that produced by running (I.E. jumping and weight lifting), especially once you get used to it, which does take time.
    If you plan on running regularly for years, I think it's the only way to go. Unless, you want knee problems down the line.
  • mgalovic01
    Options

Different people have different gaits. Forefoot landing, as the individual you responded to recommended, was very fashionable about three years ago. Research has indicated that it can lead to calf injury if it's not a natural gait for the individual.

The advice you responded to is bad, because it's uninformed. The is nothing inherently wrong with forefoot, midfoot or heel striking.

How do you run again?
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

How do you run again?

Generally for marathon and ultra marathon training...
  • RunningMom1038
    RunningMom1038 Posts: 144 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    OP, I'm no pro, but I did find that running gets easier as you lose weight. (For obvious reasons) Maybe you could try again in a couple of months and see how your body responds. The advice on stride length is good, though!

As far as gait goes, I have a midfoot strike. Nothing else feels natural.
  • mgalovic01
    Options

How do you run again?

I mean fore-foot, mid-foot, or heel?
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

How do you run again?

How I run doesn't really matter, that's only important for me.

There is no One True Way(TM) as far as footstrike is concerned. Many different factors contribute to what's appropriate for the individual.

It's wholly irrelevant to the originator as the description of the situation is quite clearly an issue of aerobic capacity and pace.
  • mgalovic01
    Options

How do you run again?

How I run doesn't really matter, that's only important for me.

There is no One True Way(TM) as far as footstrike is concerned. Many different factors contribute to what's appropriate for the individual.

It's wholly irrelevant to the originator as the description of the situation is quite clearly an issue of aerobic capacity and pace.

That's what I thought.
  • jamieturley
    jamieturley Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I take it you mean running in the street etc not on the treadmill I can run forever on the treadmill the streets are different as your carrying your weight but the distraction is still the same listen to music with a beat like a song that gets you hyper when I used to do 40 mine on the treadmill my mind would tell me at the 15 minute mark to quit when I got to 20 it was gone mind was by on track just block the negatives out think of what you lost weight wise that's what I do
  • jamieturley
    jamieturley Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I take it you mean running in the street etc not on the treadmill I can run forever on the treadmill the streets are different as your carrying your weight but the distraction is still the same listen to music with a beat like a song that gets you hyper when I used to do 40 mine on the treadmill my mind would tell me at the 15 minute mark to quit when I got to 20 it was gone mind was by on track just block the negatives out think of what you lost weight wise that's what I do
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    That's what I thought.

I'm intrigued.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I felt like that all through C25K and for a fair while afterwards. I took a long time to think 1-2 miles running was fairly easy, and I still often struggle for the first 10 minutes. Good suggestions above. Barring physical conditions, it depends I think, whether we want to persevere or find something we enjoy more.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I tried forcing the issue of running for quite some time...it's high impact and always bothered my already shoddy feet. While I was training for a sprint tri, I re-discovered my bike and a passion for cycling...I loath running...I don't run...I could probably knock out a 5K if I had to, albeit slowly...but I can ride at 16-18 MPH all day.

I'm of the opinion that one need not force an activity that one does not like...if running isn't right, do something else.
  • mgalovic01
    Options
    That's what I thought.

I'm intrigued.

Basically, another forefoot to mid-foot runner saying heel striking is ok for some other people. The truth is it's too much stress on the joints.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    That's what I thought.

I'm intrigued.

Basically, another forefoot to mid-foot runner saying heel striking is ok for some other people. The truth is it's too much stress on the joints.

You're making a big assumption there.

Regardless, there is evidence that forcing a gait change causes injury, and there is also recent work that indicates that the majority of runners in endurance races are midfoot to heel strikers fairly quickly.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I tried forcing the issue of running for quite some time...it's high impact and always bothered my already shoddy feet. While I was training for a sprint tri, I re-discovered my bike and a passion for cycling...I loath running...I don't run...I could probably knock out a 5K if I had to, albeit slowly...but I can ride at 16-18 MPH all day.

I'm of the opinion that one need not force an activity that one does not like...if running isn't right, do something else.

In the case of the OP, though, it sounds like she emotionally enjoys it and just is having physical problems with it, though.

This was my case. I had always wanted to run, and loved the idea of it. I just had a lot of physical hurdles to get past.

Dewd's post was spot-on. Since I like to live on the edge, I'm going to weigh in on the foot-striking debate and agree with MeanderingMammal. Especially since I think most supposed heel strikers are really striking with more of their foot than just the heel itself unless they're overstriding, which is a different problem.

Saying that, I'm a mid-foot striker.
  • mgalovic01
    Options
    That's what I thought.

I'm intrigued.

You're making a big assumption there.

Regardless, there is evidence that forcing a gait change causes injury, and there is also recent work that indicates that the majority of runners in endurance races are midfoot to heel strikers fairly quickly.

Tell me I'm wrong. You and I both know it doesn't work for us. It's rookie mistake.